Burnt once,  won't be burned agian...

Same, the FX8350 promised the world but in reality gave me nothing but piss poor performance even in AAA games. I'd much rather spend the extra and be 100% certain that I'm getting the best performance I can. There's always this air of doubt over AMD kit and I'm done taking the risk. The countless hours spent 'fault finding' performance issues with my old FX8350 just simply weren't worth the price saving over Intel.

Personally I'm sticking with my 4790k until Intel's 8th gen CPU's. Or I might wait even longer for the 10nm architecture.

Hopefully game optimisations will increase my average 50fps to a higher level, if not some more overclocking and cooling will be needed but either way I'm pretty confident the 4790k should remain useful in Squad for a while longer. Currently my G-Sync monitor makes the odd dips to 45fps just about doable, so for now my PC upgrade money is staying in the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banOkay   
20 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Same, the FX8350 promised the world but in reality gave me nothing but piss poor performance even in AAA games. I'd much rather spend the extra and be 100% certain that I'm getting the best performance I can. There's always this air of doubt over AMD kit and I'm done taking the risk.

...or just look at the banchmarks lol

If you're a content creator who uses software that makes use of multithreads then Ryzen looks to be a great alternative to Intel at a significantly lower price point. For gaming though you primarily need great single threaded performance and it's where AMD have been found lacking in recent years. AMD have claimed to have increased their IPC (instructions per clock) by up to 52% compared to last gen but the real proof if it's enough will come when properly tested.

AMD may be looking to the future with the advent of Vulcan, DX12 and more emphasis on multithreaded performance but they also went that route before with the fx when they couldn't beat Intel in outright IPC performance and look where it got them. Let's hope their performance bump with Ryzen is enough to get some competition in the CPU market and force Intel into making some decent advances instead of the tiny jumps they have done for the last few years. Lately is all been about die shrink and power reduction. Us gamers don't really care much about that, we want performance, and the sooner Intel are forced to up their game in that regard the better.

Looking at some of the benchmark demos of some rendering where the put the 8c/16t Ryzen against against a 4c/8t Intel and narrowly beat it in a multithreaded environment I would concluded the AMD are still significantly behind in single threaded performance to excluded them from choice as a top tier gaming CPU when cost is ignored.

Apparently Intel is doing price drops already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Ingram said:

Single thread performance is very important for Squad and the official Cinebench scores from AMD have me holding out until reviews and benchmarks come around March 2nd.

AMD-Ryzen-7_7-840x244.png

• $499 R7 1800X 162 single threaded score in Cinebench R15
  • $349 i7 7700k 194 stock single threaded score in Cinebench R15 (which can push to 215+ with a decent OC)

Frequencies aren't the same though and we won't truly know how good the Ryzen CPU's are until March 2nd. I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and would probably purchase the cheaper R7 1700X. I've only ever supported AMD in the past (AMD Athlon X2, FX-4100, and currently own a FX-8350) and have felt burned to a point of almost jumping ship to intel. I hope somebody who picks up a Ryzen chip will share their performance with the rest of the Squad community.

It's unfair to compare the single threaded performance of an 8 core cpu to a 4 core. Even Intel can't make an 8 core cpu with the same single threaded performance as the 7700k, just look at the 6800k. If you really care that much about single thread performance, wait for the 4 core Ryzen chips to come out, and hopefully they will match/outperform the 7700k for less money.

1 hour ago, dolmaface said:

Even Intel can't make an 8 core cpu with the same single threaded performance as the 7700k, just look at the 6800k.

Can't or just don't need to? Where's the competition? Ohh, they might just be back. Let's hope so. Nothing spurs on advances like some healthy competition.

Edited by Major Trouble

Ingram   
4 hours ago, dolmaface said:

It's unfair to compare the single threaded performance of an 8 core cpu to a 4 core. Even Intel can't make an 8 core cpu with the same single threaded performance as the 7700k, just look at the 6800k. If you really care that much about single thread performance, wait for the 4 core Ryzen chips to come out, and hopefully they will match/outperform the 7700k for less money.

Yeah, no. ~I render things quite often as much as I game and plan on upgrading before Q2-17.

Unfair you say? of course. All I was pointing out was that Single threaded performance is important for games like Squad. No need to get too fired up when Ryzen isn't even out the gate and we only have a few benchmarks to review and compare across the internet.

Ryzen overall is looking be a great processor and I don't think anyone who is looking to upgrade will be able to ignore buying one.

3 hours ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

The thing is, the top 4 core AMD cpu is out, and it doesn't compare to the intel 4 core. Not even close...

You're not talking about a ryzen 4 core right? Because that's not out until like after June.

banOkay   
48 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

You're right the 4 core zen cpu's aren't out yet. I'm pretty sure the 1700 is what amd is using to compete with the 7700k though.

Do you have a source on this besides ignorance? Them using it in some benchamrk comparisons is just to show the difference in multi-threading capabilities.

NotBrad   
2 hours ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

AMD set the 1700 and and 7700k up against each other in their own release demo. Plus price is very similar.

Also a goo read

http://www.pcgamer.com/live-benchmarks-amd-ryzen-vs-intel-core/

You do realize that in raw compute it absolutely destroys the 7700k right? Recent vetted benchmarks from AMD also show higher IPC than Kaby Lake, the caveat being their significantly lower base clocks, meaning the architecture is solid. We just have to wait for the 6 core models which will still blow the 7700k out of the water in raw compute, but may have higher base clocks the R7 series. Say what you will for people who actually use their computers for data computation will love the power and price while not caring about single threaded performance. And I'm certain you can still game on it, considering you can game on AMDs older CPUs without issue in many games.

Ya, I'm not trying to bash zen or anything... I'm just saying these top 3 zen cpu's were released to compete with intel's top 3. That's really all i"m saying. Once the gaming benchmark's are released we'll have a better idea on the gaming side of zen. I'm not trying to put down amd users at all here, I'm happy amd released these cpu's.

scubbo   

it's a great shakeup, much much better IPC on par with intels latest, at a slightly lower price point with a few more features,  good boards in the mix and chipset

it's a win win for both amd and intel fans alike,  should run squad very well.

Edited by scubbo

40 minutes ago, scubbo said:

it's a great shakeup, much much better IPC on par with intels latest, at a slightly lower price point with a few more features,  good boards in the mix and chipset

it's a win win for both amd and intel fans alike,  should run squad very well.

Please show me the benchmark that gives Ryzen IPC on par with Intel's latest. All the benchmarks that I've seen only really deal with multithreaded performance.

banOkay   
10 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

The only IPC numbers I've seen from zen show a %50 IPC increase from AMD's previous gen cpu's.(bulldozer) Not sure how that compares to intel though.

It's literally in the video you posted... And please don't expect a 8c16t to have comparable IPC to a 4c8t.

NotBrad   
11 minutes ago, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

The only IPC numbers I've seen from zen show a %50 IPC increase from AMD's previous gen cpu's.(bulldozer) Not sure how that compares to intel though.

The IPC falls between Broadwell-E and Kabylake, but lower clocks than Kaby put single threaded performance in the realm of Broadwell.

I guess we have to wait until March the 2nd to get any actual benchmarks. Looks hopeful though. Im kind of worried about how it will deal with Squad as my last rig was a Kaveri and it could barely handle V8. I switched over to a 4690 and an entry level H97 board for Asus. Should it be able to handle this game as well as an Intel rig, it may definitely be a consideration for my next build.

Heh speaking of Intel price drops, the day AMD dropped the Ryzen bomb for sheer interest I went on to New Egg and magically enough, the Kaby Lake i7 was on sale for almost the same price as the R7 1700 it was paired up against at the tech demo. I didnt check any of the Broadwells against their rivals.

Edited by Rayman1230
After thought

scubbo   

among a few benchmarks I've seen which showed IPC  very similar across the board,

heres one example - http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1700x-benchmarks-leaked-beats-kaby-lake-ipc/ 

I find it funny people are lovingly defending a major international company such as intel, market manipulation and technological hold backs have kept computing down for a long time, to the point that RISC processors are now more mainstream and market leading...