Peerun

Focus/Zoom

Focus/Zoom   52 members have voted

1. 1. Should?

• All weapons should get zoom, while focusing
    • No weapons should get zoom.
    • Leave it as it is - only ironsights.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
42 posts in this topic

Is it fair to scopes, that ironsights have a zooming effect while focusing?

Before we get to have some better AA the current situation is fine, after that point in time no more "bionic eyes" please.

i think the there should be a zoom for ironsights but not that big

I think iron sights should have unlimited focus time!

I think the way it is noted is perfect. Limited time and still not as good as acog zoom. 

I play on a 2K monitor and am still dissatisfied with the iron-sight zoom. The naked eye can distinguish movement and objects at a far greater distance than is currently available. I find myself squinting 2" away from the screen while zoomed trying to hit targets only 100m away. 

I'd like to see an arms style unlimited zoom actually. I don't want to ruin my eyes squinting at the screen all the time.

10 minutes ago, fatalsushi said:

I'd like to see an arms style unlimited zoom actually. I don't want to ruin my eyes squinting at the screen all the time.

What is that system? 

zooming on foucus is one of the mechanics I really don't like in this game, it's unrealistic, but it also gives scopes less importance, which they should definitely have

16 minutes ago, fatalsushi said:

That's what scopes should be for, being able to magically zoom in with iron sights is unrealistic and takes away from the game experience 

The system right now is basically perfect IMO. Project Reality is the only game that has no zoom on iron sights. On insurgency (where insurgents are limited to irons and BluFor has 4x magnification), the game is unplayable from the opfor side and is basically a giant turkey shoot if you're playing Blufor. You have to squint really hard to see anyone past 100m (they might be a pixel or two wide). At >250m, you literally cannot see enemies as they are less than a pixel wide on 1080p.
Sure, BluFor doesn't always or even usually win but there's more to gameplay than "my team won." It was a huge mistake in PR and it would be a huge mistake now to bring it over to Squad. 

Edited by migkillertwo

I like the current iron sights 'zoom', for me it kinda replicates focusing a shot in game.

Optics still have major advantage over iron sights in Squad for sure certainly re ranged effectiveness.

Personally I would say up the iron sight zoom just a little to assist balancing the insurgents and militia a little more.

Interesting replies so far. Would any one of you say that they wouldn't mind seeing scopes have more sway and/or longer sight-in times?

By the way, I personally fancy seeing scopes outperform ironsights at long distances by leagues, while ironsights(and aim points) having an advantage in close quarters. Way I see it, if you add additional zoom to scopes while focusing, it's not going to make ironsights any worse - especially, since you get that sway effect after running out of focus - and if you added some bonus disadvantages to using scopes up close, it'd balance itself out pretty well.
Alright, carry on.

8 hours ago, sgtcaboose said:

I play on a 2K monitor and am still dissatisfied with the iron-sight zoom. The naked eye can distinguish movement and objects at a far greater distance than is currently available. I find myself squinting 2" away from the screen while zoomed trying to hit targets only 100m away. 

Thankyou!

9 hours ago, Engagedrook8 said:

zooming on foucus is one of the mechanics I really don't like in this game, it's unrealistic, but it also gives scopes less importance, which they should definitely have.

Removing the focus zoom would totally **** over everyone without scope on all maps except Sumari. There is a reason why pretty much noone used emplacements before they got zoom.

If they remove zoom people with scopes, vehicle zoom and so on will be way to overpowered. Iron sight/red dots will be no fun.

"zoom"/"Focus" like ARMA would be nice... hold one button for focus (unlimited) and another one for hold breath.. (short time)

37 minutes ago, Wiffel said:

"zoom"/"Focus" like ARMA would be nice... hold one button for focus (unlimited) and another one for hold breath.. (short time)

Thankyou!

Personally I find the zoom and focus features to be lacking. It is near impossible to engage anyone at a distance of 100m or more. You can barely see them at 1920 x 1080 resolution. They're like a pixel. The game isn't fun if you cannot see where you're being shot at and by whom. It's obvious the game is designed for very close quarters combat. Many times my squad were unable to identify contacts yet they managed to kill us all.

1 hour ago, Shieldss said:

It is near impossible to engage anyone at a distance of 100m or more. You can barely see them at 1920 x 1080 resolution. They're like a pixel. The game isn't fun if you cannot see where you're being shot at and by whom. It's obvious the game is designed for very close quarters combat. Many times my squad were unable to identify contacts yet they managed to kill us all.

But then again, it makes it possible to stay hidden, which I think is a good thing.
"It is near impossible to engage anyone at a distance of 100m or more" - are you exaggerating here? Or are you playing with your FOV max'd out?

3 hours ago, Peerun said:

But then again, it makes it possible to stay hidden, which I think is a good thing.
"It is near impossible to engage anyone at a distance of 100m or more" - are you exaggerating here? Or are you playing with your FOV max'd out?

Not really, because you are being hidden when you should be visible. You would still be hidden if you were concealed. At the moment there is little need for players to use good movement tactics when >150m from the enemy as they are practically invisible without optics/binos. 

I have my FOV 90 with a 2K monitor and maxed settings and would say it is impossible to effectively engage. At 100m I can pick off a rabbit at full sprint, in Squad I can't pick off a human sitting still. 

3 hours ago, Peerun said:

Buddy its damn near impossible to see across the street, let alone 100m or more. My FOV is at 90 which I didn't set. The aliasing is horrible.

1 hour ago, Shieldss said:

Buddy its damn near impossible to see across the street, let alone 100m or more. My FOV is at 90 which I didn't set. The aliasing is horrible.

Yes, the anti-aliasing is broken as ****. Don't use it. If you're able to, just turn it off and put super sampling to 1.25x +. I have mine at 1.5x and it works as a pretty good substitute for the blurry anti-aliasing except that it has some performance impact.

7 hours ago, sgtcaboose said:

Not really, because you are being hidden when you should be visible. You would still be hidden if you were concealed. At the moment there is little need for players to use good movement tactics when >150m from the enemy as they are practically invisible without optics/binos. 

I have my FOV 90 with a 2K monitor and maxed settings and would say it is impossible to effectively engage. At 100m I can pick off a rabbit at full sprint, in Squad I can't pick off a human sitting still. 

7 hours ago, Shieldss said:

Gonna go even more offtopic, but are you guys by any chance using any other Anti-aliasing method than SMAA? Because I can easily see and engage people at 100m. Even 300m. 400m is not so reliable with iron sights, but achievable even on moving targets.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you probably don't judge the in-game distance well, so what for you is 100m, may be for me 200. I don't know.
Just for reference, 100m mark.
AtQcoQk.jpg
Definitely more than a pixel - not to mention the zoom you get after focusing.

1 hour ago, Peerun said:

Gonna go even more offtopic, but are you guys by any chance using any other Anti-aliasing method than SMAA? Because I can easily see and engage people at 100m. Even 300m. 400m is not so reliable with iron sights, but achievable even on moving targets.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you probably don't judge the in-game distance well, so what for you is 100m, may be for me 200. I don't know.
Just for reference, 100m mark.
AtQcoQk.jpg
Definitely more than a pixel - not to mention the zoom you get after focusing.

Dude your reference is an ideal situation. No grass No Trees No Camo. By Camo I mean you have white targets surrounded by brown textures.

Edited by shawn7186

4 hours ago, shawn7186 said:

Dude your reference is an ideal situation. No grass No Trees No Camo. By Camo I mean you have white targets surrounded by brown textures.

The reference is there for distance, ie size of target - NOT color, and is a reply to 

On 10. 1. 2017 at 4:10 AM, migkillertwo said:

At >250m, you literally cannot see enemies as they are less than a pixel wide on 1080p.