VidkunQuisling

Idea: Hardcore mode?

Hi, I am a Squad player whose been playing Squad and PR for a few years now. I really appreciate the work the developers invest into this game. I appreciate how Squad is a community for mature gamers who enjoy realism.

That said, me and my friends were jokingly talking about Squad when I came up with an idea for a hard core realistic game mode. The features I thought of have the objective of making players more dependent on squad members and communication.

-No squad chat, only local and command chat.

-Only squad leaders have maps

-Very few tickets but no ticket drain from losing flags

Long ass respawn times

-Movable ammo crates

-Less stamina

One of the reasons why this could help gameplay is that sometimes squads disintegrate as people sprint around like CoD, which I don't believe is the point of the game, at least from what I could guess. I hope these ideas could at least be helpful and contribute to Squad. In any case, I appreciate you reading this!

Edited by VidkunQuisling

@DesmoLocke thanks for those links.

4 hours ago, VidkunQuisling said:

One of the reasons why this could help gameplay is that sometimes squads disintegrate as people sprint around like CoD, which I don't believe is the point of the game, at least from what I could guess.

I agree, although I think I would give the game a few more updates before thinking about what needs to be done to make a hardcore-mode. Especially as they keep changing up the FOB/rally-mechanics, maybe we will see some favourable changes in this area.

I would love a hardcore-mode which really emphasizes staying alive, perhaps a 1-life mod (like in SquadOps), or something similar at least. Especially if it could be played competitively, in clan wars etc. When dying becomes something you really, really want to avoid, I believe that can help foster teamplay in a very deep way (as long as the game doesnt turn into a camping-fest, obviously attacking/definding needs to be balanced).

The problem with removing squad chat in game is that people will just use external programs like teamspeak. So i dont think it would work.

Still looking forward to playing a perm. death match. Who wants to be medic class now?

As someone who never played PR/ARMA here are my thoughts on these suggestions: 

-No squad chat, only local and command chat.

Sounds good

-Only squad leaders have maps

This doesn't seem to make sense to me, soldiers always have maps of the AO

-Very few tickets but no ticket drain from losing flags

If I'm reading this correctly there is no incentive to control points? Or is the ticket penalty just applied when flags change hands? 

Long ass respawn times

Sounds good

-Movable ammo crates

Sure?

-Less stamina

Stamina is already 'hardcore' IMO

What you haven't mentioned which I think is more important is removing HUD, score lists etc. which would help cater to the 'hardcore' crowd

I hope you guys realize that hardcore mode has been suggested many times and there are prob multiple threads on it already, but you know, same topics get brought up over and over by newbies.  Just got to smile at it sometimes.  :-)