Sign in to follow this  
TheDeathPeter

Usage of drones for Squad leaders

33 posts in this topic

Many militaries are beginning to test the usage of drones on the battlefield. I believe it would be a great item to implement into the game giving it to the US team, the Russian military, and the Russian rebels. This could be done by giving it it's own role in the command and support roles for the Squad leader to choose from. It could be readily deployed from anywhere in the battlefield and be retrieved only by finding it and using the action key to pick it up. It would fit perfectly into the asymmetric warfare present in Squad and would bring a vital observation/recon element to the organized militaries in the game.

I wold like to see a drone too..
A spy drone and another one of attack (much bigger, being able to bombard an area)
The espionage one controlled by a control with camera coupled and the one of attack by a notebook, with vision from above of the map, needing precise coordinates to hit the target.

For factions like the Insurgents, maybe a controled remote toy car with a 
attached bomb.

A small recon drone would be nice, but I don't think armed drones, like predators, would ever fit into the game. It also sucks getting shot by someone you can't kill or reach in any way.

US, and i would think russia also, does have small hand thrown winged drones, that can fly and observe. If you could make one at an FOB or send it from main that would be totally awesome.

It would be a weird class(kit) to have though perhaps with a 1 per team limit kit, it could work. I dont think you would ever carry one into battle though.

like this one: RAVEN-UAV.jpg

Edited by Shovely Joe

Hopefully when we see the command system fully realized, we'll see a proper commander with access to an RPA. 

yeah, i'm really looking forward to seeing how the commander is going to pan out. especially due to the balancing between conventional and irregulars.

I see drones being implemented in the form of a Predator drone (and it's British and Russian counterparts) for the conventional forces that's accessed by the commander. It would have an observational, non-combat role; purely for providing intel that the commander can relay to SLs. PR had an excellent system, I don't see any reason to really deviate from it.

The UAV is a drone.  It was used in BF2 by commander to spot enemy auto on mini map for a bit of time.  Then placed again after cool down.  What would be different if UAV could be shot down by air defenses including aircraft.  A pilot could be utilized for UAV servialance and trained to evade and go stealth mode or if UAV is armed can defend itself with air to air missiles or flares. :-)

21 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

The UAV is a drone.  It was used in BF2 by commander to spot enemy auto on mini map for a bit of time.  Then placed again after cool down.  What would be different if UAV could be shot down by air defenses including aircraft.  A pilot could be utilized for UAV servialance and trained to evade and go stealth mode or if UAV is armed can defend itself with air to air missiles or flares. :-)

UAV means unmanned aerial vehicle, which is called a drone, it is not a specific model or type. 

It could easily be commander deployed, but the mechanic of spotting enemies automatically couldnt be ported, it would be way too powerful. only fair if the commander or operater has to report his sightings.

28 minutes ago, Aniallator said:

I see drones being implemented in the form of a Predator drone (and it's British and Russian counterparts) for the conventional forces that's accessed by the commander. It would have an observational, non-combat role; purely for providing intel that the commander can relay to SLs. PR had an excellent system, I don't see any reason to really deviate from it.

I'm a drone pilot myself in the danish emergency management agency, and we do search and reconnaisance missions with our drones, which are winged drones, but MUCH smaller than the predator.

the predator drones are big, it's like a tiny airplane, and with cruising speed of around 150 km/h (i think). it would be very hard to operate on the smaller maps, and even the big ones, when you to take into account that you should be scouting while flying it. I totally agree it should solely be filling a non-combat role though!

We use drones that we throw, kind of like the one i linked a picture to in my post above. they are easy to use for ground reconnaisance and can be fitted with thermal optics and other good stuff.

Edited by Shovely Joe

We had the little mcfly drones in BC2...Anyone could jump in the pilot seat and fly around and drop a missile or had little mg on it too if I remember...And it could be shot down.

A high altitude UAV drone for satellite type recon is what commander needs as well as a radar high in sky to track enemy air assets. 

latest?cb=20111216010214

Type used in BC2 accept smaller, way smaller.

Edited by XRobinson
more

What if the SL can use a auto drone to "scan" a 4 Square area of the map (for example), for identify enemies or fobs and auto Mark it on map?

Of course, with a High use of resources. 

4 hours ago, Spinelli said:

What if the SL can use a auto drone to "scan" a 4 Square area of the map (for example), for identify enemies or fobs and auto Mark it on map?

Of course, with a High use of resources. 

I don't agree with anything that negates that much teamwork or communication. That's just way too mindless. If that were to ever exist it should be a fixed camera that circles the area and the SL can manually mark targets on his map.

56 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

I don't agree with anything that negates that much teamwork or communication. That's just way too mindless. If that were to ever exist it should be a fixed camera that circles the area and the SL can manually mark targets on his map.

+1 this game is all about communication, keep auto-scanning in BF and CoD where it belongs

50 minutes ago, sgtcaboose said:

+1 this game is all about communication, keep auto-scanning in BF and CoD where it belongs

Radar was developed in WW2 and is a form of auto scanning.  A radar operator would record the blips and determine what size and how fast and at what altitude.  This can and is done by computers.  You saying you do not want computer assistance in a modern shooter that copies real world tactics and abilities of the real Army that uses Radar in its technology? Or computer assistance?  A drone when flown by computer autonomously is a form also of auto scanning.  And AI will be and is already here.

Edited by XRobinson
more

22 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

Radar was developed in WW2 and is a form of auto scanning.  A radar operator would record the blips and determine what size and how fast and at what altitude.  This can and is done by computers.  You saying you do not want computer assistance in a modern shooter that copies real world tactics and abilities of the real Army that uses Radar in its technology? Or computer assistance?  A drone when flown by computer autonomously is a form also of auto scanning.  And AI will be and is already here.

It's called gameplay mechanics. Just because a soldier IRL could carry 100 grenades doesn't mean it should happen in game. Being able to click and have it automatically identify every enemy in the area is literally a COD killstreak. Also, no one said it the game copies "real world radar" and I highly doubt any radar would be able to easily identify infantry troops like that.

@Catindabox

You never heard of infer red technology same thing in your night vision goggles.  I think they are developing day time versions of the tech to detect heat signatures of people on ground day or night.  Border patrol uses it to get illegals on the border.  The night time infer red anyway.  Anyway I understand your point but never said game had to do anything real world.  We have radios to communicate via electronic means, so should we take away microphones just because that helps us communicate to well?  Is same thing with radar, radar exist and can be in game, but since it might make things easier and automatic in a sense your ganna discount it's use in game.  Technology can't be stopped unless all the power goes out from an EMP bomb.  :-)

8 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

We have radios to communicate via electronic means, so should we take away microphones just because that helps us communicate to well?  Is same thing with radar, radar exist and can be in game, but since it might make things easier and automatic in a sense your ganna discount it's use in game.

Did you just try to say that being able to communicate with a microphone and manually target positions to each other--- is the same as having a UAV automatically detect and mark all enemies in the area? 

I really have no words for you on that one.

Not to mention all of your arguments seem to have been based off of "Well battlefield has this... therefore Squad should too"

20 minutes ago, XRobinson said:

@Catindabox

I think they are developing day time versions of the tech to detect heat signatures of people on ground day or night

You mean like our military and civilian helicopters have been using for decades?

@Catindabox

My argument is based on logic that says you do not exclude reality because it doesn't fit the reality you want it to be.  I get that radar whether from a BF game or a cod game or from real tech used in reality might not be best for game mechanics of this game.  But that doesn't mean it has to be excluded from conversation or discussion or debate because one person don't like those other two games or reality itself. LOL!

Actually a UAV communicates through radio waves the same way you do through a microphone, just it uses ones and zero's and we use language.  Think of UAV as an artificial human, a robot with a brain that collects and sends data which gets translated by you, the same way you translate my text or voice. so yes it is similar and same.

@Rybec

Yeah we only hear of the night time heat detection tech, rarely the day time tech.

:-)

On 2017-01-09 at 2:47 AM, DesmoLocke said:

Hopefully when we see the command system fully realized, we'll see a proper commander with access to an RPA. 

First I was a bit "Naah..." about drones but this PR clip changed that. So many awesome teamwork moments, must be satisfying both as a squad to accomplish tasks based on intel from above, and also for the drone user to lead those on the ground. I see no reason not to expect this for future Squad! All a matter of time I suppose. ;) 

Edited by Japub

3 hours ago, XRobinson said:

@Catindabox

My argument is based on logic that says you do not exclude reality because it doesn't fit the reality you want it to be.  I get that radar whether from a BF game or a cod game or from real tech used in reality might not be best for game mechanics of this game.  But that doesn't mean it has to be excluded from conversation or discussion or debate because one person don't like those other two games or reality itself. LOL!

Actually a UAV communicates through radio waves the same way you do through a microphone, just it uses ones and zero's and we use language.  Think of UAV as an artificial human, a robot with a brain that collects and sends data which gets translated by you, the same way you translate my text or voice. so yes it is similar and same.

@Rybec

Yeah we only hear of the night time heat detection tech, rarely the day time tech.

:-)

TL; DR - NO

bro...

first of all; Nightvision and Thermal / infra-red are two different things. very different. A UAV is not a "robot with a brain" it is a computer, that COMPUTES data in- and output, given to and sent from another computer.  A radar cannot detect ground units, because radar waves are impaired by nature. There is to the extend of my knowledge no way what-so-ever to have a satellite recognize troop movements and send them to ground troops electronic maps in live update.

So everything you are saying in this thread basically makes no sense... but also it would break gameplay and is going the exact opposite way in regards to communication and coordination, which this game is build around. 

Edited by Shovely Joe
typo

http://www.unmannedsystemstechnology.com/2016/08/atlantiksolar-uav-completes-fully-autonomous-26-hour-search-and-rescue-flight/

Yes I used term brain in understanding that a computer inside an autonamous vehicle like one in link above acts just like a brain, something I consider common reference these days to AI systems running on computers or smartphones or tablets. So, a autonamous UAV is like a robot with a brain albeit a computer programmed brain.  Even the probes we send to outer space and Mars have computer brains AI if you will so they can operate without human intervention or communication from Earth.

I never said Radar can detect ground units, but optical systems on high altitude UAVs and satellites can which is likened to Radar and heat detection night systems.  You ever see the film Behind Enemy Lines?  The satellite room on the ship where they used a classified Satellite to monitor in real time troop movements and the chasing of the shot down pilot on the ground, and they used thermal imaging on it as well?

So, everything I said does make sense. And if this game doesn't want this in game or people do not want it in game for SLs to use but only commander, or not is fine with me.  :-). I just having discussion on topic of UAVs and drones.

10 hours ago, Japub said:

First I was a bit "Naah..." about drones but this PR clip changed that. So many awesome teamwork moments, must be satisfying both as a squad to accomplish tasks based on intel from above, and also for the drone user to lead those on the ground. I see no reason not to expect this for future Squad! All a matter of time I suppose. ;) 

Agreed. Did you see the area attack at 8:45?! Can't wait for that in Squad! :)

On 1/10/2017 at 3:04 PM, Shovely Joe said:

UAV means unmanned aerial vehicle, which is called a drone, it is not a specific model or type. 

It could easily be commander deployed, but the mechanic of spotting enemies automatically couldnt be ported, it would be way too powerful. only fair if the commander or operater has to report his sightings.

I'm a drone pilot myself in the danish emergency management agency, and we do search and reconnaisance missions with our drones, which are winged drones, but MUCH smaller than the predator.

the predator drones are big, it's like a tiny airplane, and with cruising speed of around 150 km/h (i think). it would be very hard to operate on the smaller maps, and even the big ones, when you to take into account that you should be scouting while flying it. I totally agree it should solely be filling a non-combat role though!

We use drones that we throw, kind of like the one i linked a picture to in my post above. they are easy to use for ground reconnaisance and can be fitted with thermal optics and other good stuff.

Damn, that's cool man :)

I don't actually see drones themselves being player-controlled, but rather like PR where the commander can request a drone on a specific location, and after about two minutes, the drone is in position and he can activate and look around using the drone's thermal camera. He doesn't actually fly the drone, it loiters at high altitude over the requested location. I don't see any reason in having player-controlled drones, it would only be detrimental to gameplay... who knows what players would do with them :|