RipGroove

Really struggling for performance with decent PC at only 1080p...

Posted (edited)

Yes I know its Alpha etc but optimisation IS improving and looking around on YouTube I seem to be somewhat lagging behind in performance.

1080p

No AA

No Super Sampling

Epic Effects

Medium Shadows

Epic View Distance

Epic Foliage

Motion Blur Off

Bloom On

Eye Adaptation On

Lens Flare On

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5

CPU: i7-4790k (stock clocks)

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: EVGA 980ti FTW (stock clocks)

RAM: 16GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz

PSU: Corsair HX1000

CPU runs at 4.4GHz and 69°C in game.

So looking at my game settings, seeing that both AA and Super Sampling are OFF and that all I'm asking for is 1080p and my PC spec isn't too bad you'd think I'd get a decent FPS figure right? Well I get as little as 40-50fps on some maps in a full server and it's jerky as hell below 60fps.

Look around on YouTube and you'll see people playing in 4k and 1440p quite happily and smoothly so what gives? Surely I should see a constant 60fps no matter what with my PC? It's not the best PC but I'm only asking for 1080p, not 1440p or 4k.

My PC is scoring pretty much where it should on benchmarks but when playing Squad my GPU usage is like 40% which points to me not having enough CPU power, but realistically how do I improve my CPU, the i7-6700k is only marginally faster than my i7-4790k so it's not worth me switching motherboard and CPU for probably a 4% performance increase, so whats the next logical CPU step? What are all you 1440p and 4k guys running, and how the hell are you pulling it off?

Edited by RipGroove

Overclocking is definitely the way to go. The game is still very CPU heavy and a few hundred MHz can increase your FPS a lot.

6 hours ago, RipGroove said:

What are all you 1440p and 4k guys running, and how the hell are you pulling it off?

Alot of Doritos and Mountain Dew!

Overclocking is definitely the way to go. The game is still very CPU heavy and a few hundred MHz can increase your FPS a lot.

Well I'm trying, I seem to have a stable (in Squad) overclock at 4.6GHz right now. I've not ran any CPU stress tests yet though.

I did try upping it to 4.7GHz but Squad crashed with some error about not being able to write to memory. Not quite sure what that was about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger, I might just buy this and take the headache out of it: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-overclocked-bundle-z170-oc15-intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-46ghz-asus-z170-pro-gaming-16gb-corsair

It's £690 BUT I've added up the cost of each part (allbeit it on scans own website) and it turns out scan don't charge anything at all to build it, overclock it and stress test it. I'm pretty sure my i7-4790k CPU, MSI Gaming 5 mobo, 16GB Corsair RAM and Hyper 212 EVO all in original packaging would fetch a fair amount on eBay too, making it a no brainer really.

I really can't be bothered spending time learning about overclocking then stress testing for 10hrs at a time, I'd rather be actually playing games TBH.   

Edited by RipGroove

1 hour ago, RipGroove said:

I'm getting an itchy trigger finger, I might just buy this and take the headache out of it: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-overclocked-bundle-z170-oc15-intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-46ghz-asus-z170-pro-gaming-16gb-corsair

It's £690 BUT I've added up the cost of each part (allbeit it on scans own website) and it turns out scan don't charge anything at all to build it, overclock it and stress test it. I'm pretty sure my i7-4790k CPU, MSI Gaming 5 mobo, 16GB Corsair RAM and Hyper 212 EVO all in original packaging would fetch a fair amount on eBay too, making it a no brainer really.

I really can't be bothered spending time learning about overclocking then stress testing for 10hrs at a time, I'd rather be actually playing games TBH.   

With that attitude just buy a prebuilt 10k PC. Or, spend 30min watching a specific OC guide for your motherboard and CPU combo. Then just OC it.

You'll gain 10% fps at best anyway, don't expect miracles.

With that attitude just buy a prebuilt 10k PC. Or, spend 30min watching a specific OC guide for your motherboard and CPU combo. Then just OC it.

You'll gain 10% fps at best anyway, don't expect miracles.

Not really because there is zero charge for the assembly and overclocking so why would I spend days and days learning about overclocking and then testing over and over when someone else will do it for free.

With that set up at 4.5Ghz stable, you should hold 60fps in 1080 mate.

Try quickly putting everything to low and off in game then push up what you want, are your NVIDIA settings set to performance in NVIDIA Panel? I think they may not be and you are letting the App decide perhaps.

Your CPU cooler isn't great either but should be fine for 4.5Ghz etc.

Are you connecting via display port or HDMI - 3 people I know said over the months that HDMI can cause issues, personally I used it for years with no issues but now I use display port etc, can't say I notice any difference but I need to to run 2K at 71fps with min lag (so im told anyhow).

With that set up at 4.5Ghz stable, you should hold 60fps in 1080 mate.

Try quickly putting everything to low and off in game then push up what you want, are your NVIDIA settings set to performance in NVIDIA Panel? I think they may not be and you are letting the App decide perhaps.

Your CPU cooler isn't great either but should be fine for 4.5Ghz etc.

Are you connecting via display port or HDMI - 3 people I know said over the months that HDMI can cause issues, personally I used it for years with no issues but now I use display port etc, can't say I notice any difference but I need to to run 2K at 71fps with min lag (so im told anyhow).

Power settings are all set to performance, that's something I never forget to do. And yes I'm connected via HDMI as I'm currently using a TV as a monitor.

I got to a point last night where I have a a stable 4.6GHz and was still seeing FPS drops to 45fps, better than the 40fps I was seeing before.

I might push for 4.7GHz today and see if my cooler can handle it.

I'm still not overly happy with 45fps dips though at only 1080p with 4790k @ 4.6GHz and 989ti. That said though that is an absolute minimum of 45fps when things get busy on a full sever so maybe that's not too bad, I don't know?

I now have a somewhat stable 4.7GHz and I've just jumped in a full server (Chora) and I'm seeing 45-60fps with AA off and Super Sampling off at only 1080p.

GPU usage is 70% average
CPU usage is 70% average
Memory usage is 4GB
RAM usage is 9.7GB

So basically I'm seeing no FPS difference really by overclocking the CPU. Also changing in game graphics settings from low to epic makes no difference.

Do you have to restart the game for in game graphics settings to apply? Im in a server now on Chora and I'm getting 30-45fps with both Low and Epic in game settings with my CPU running at 4.7GHz, this is not good at all.

you can just 'apply' in game settings, but seriously turn them all to low or off - apply and do a full restart.

Then see what performance is like.

Your running windows 10?

you can just 'apply' in game settings, but seriously turn them all to low or off - apply and do a full restart.

Then see what performance is like.

Your running windows 10?

Yeah Windows 10

I have 60 FPS using 4790k (stock clock) + EVGA 980 SC all settings epic

Always smooth for me.

Have you dabbled with the Nvidia Control panel program settings for Squad?

Have a look and play with it,

Amongst other settings check the power management mode - mine is set to prefer maximum

I switched alot of shit off and on and get the best picture/smoothness since day 1 of Squad.

Worked a treat for a lot of our [RIP] members 

I am no geek so maybe wasting my/your time.

Posted (edited)

What other settings have you changed in Nvidia control panel? As I've already set prefer max performance.

Edited by RipGroove

If you download EVGA Precision X (an overclocking software) there's a setting called K Boost, if you turn it on, it will force your gpu to always run 100%

ambient occlusion off may be another thingy to try.

If you download EVGA Precision X (an overclocking software) there's a setting called K Boost, if you turn it on, it will force your gpu to always run 100%

Thanks I've used Precision X before actually, I'm currently using MSI Afterburner for various things, maybe I'll install Precision X again BUT I don't have much hope as my GPU does ramp up when it should while playing Squad, worth a shot though.

Actually that said, I've not actually checked if it's ramping to the correct clocks since v8.9 of Squad.

Hmm well that's weird, couldn't enable kboost in Precision XOC so I reverted back to Precision X16 but every time I enable kboost all my desktop icons move and the wallpaper on 'monitor 1' changes?!!

Uninstalled Precision X 16 as every time kboost was enabled or disabled it rearranged all my desktop icons into complete random positions across both monitors! My GPU clock seems to ramp up to where it should do while playing Squad anyway so Kboost wasn't really doing anything.  

22 minutes ago, RipGroove said:

Uninstalled Precision X 16 as every time kboost was enabled or disabled it rearranged all my desktop icons into complete random positions across both monitors! My GPU clock seems to ramp up to where it should do while playing Squad anyway so Kboost wasn't really doing anything.  

I just use MSI afterburner for small additional GPU overclock and monitoring of the system via Riva (in MSI). It's great and you don't need anything else going IMO.

Somethings up for you though mate, sorry I am out of ideas to assist!

3 minutes ago, Shoshin said:

I just use MSI afterburner for small additional GPU overclock and monitoring of the system via Riva (in MSI). It's great and you don't need anything else going IMO.

Exactly what I use. Overclocked with riva tuner to keep an eye on all my stats. Overclock actually did seem to help with 80 player servers, though not much.

On 8.1.2017 at 3:27 PM, RipGroove said:

Do you have to restart the game for in game graphics settings to apply? Im in a server now on Chora and I'm getting 30-45fps with both Low and Epic in game settings with my CPU running at 4.7GHz, this is not good at all.

Nope, it's like that for me as well. Same fps with all the settings on epic as on low. 

Nope, it's like that for me as well. Same fps with all the settings on epic as on low. 

Kind of glad I'm not the only one, still sucks though as it means we can't even sacrifice epic graphics for smoother gameplay. The only thing that does affect my FPS is the Super Sampling, I can usually (map dependant) run it at 1.25 which helps with the jaggies, anything over that on most maps and FPS starts taking big hits.

Still in two minds about whether to risk buying an Ultrawide 1440p monitor to help rid me of the jaggies BUT being Ultrawide it almost has the same width as a normal 4K monitor so not sure how my FPS would be.