B4rr3l

Squad DX12/Vulkan Support anytime soon?

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, I have Squad since the pre-alpha, bough with a friend the developer helper edition or something like that. I have just started to play it now, cause the performance was terrible before, specially in AMD machines.

I see that now performance is much better in AMD, but CPU utilization is not working as it should.

First the game starts at 70-90FPS, (that's with around 65 players), but in the middle to the end of the round, FPS drops to around 38-45, if you check your GPU usage you can see that it was working fine when FPS was around 70-90, but when it drops, GPU utilization stays very inconsistent, with lots of drops and pikes.

CPU utilization is around 40-60% for all the cores, so something is very wrong, and I'm pretty sure that Vulkan could solve it.

Same thing happens for intel i5/i7 CPUs so that's not a CPU problem at all.

Edited by B4rr3l

Yeah it still need some work to optimize the whole game.

Graphics could change in the future as well, so dx12 could be possible but Vulcan shouldn't.

Anyone knows anything about Vulcan on UE4?

I read sometime ago that UE4 was playing around with DX12,but what i would suggest is to go & have look at their website/community forum & ask your questions there...

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/428270/current-status-of-dx12-support.html

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/415951/how-to-enable-directx-12-on-ue411.html

8 hours ago, B4rr3l said:

Hi guys, I have Squad since the pre-alpha, bough with a friend the developer helper edition or something like that. I have just started to play it now, cause the performance was terrible before, specially in AMD machines.

I see that now performance is much better in AMD, but CPU utilization is not working as it should.

First the game starts at 70-90FPS, (that's with around 65 players), but in the middle to the end of the round, FPS drops to around 38-45, if you check your GPU usage you can see that it was working fine when FPS was around 70-90, but when it drops, GPU utilization stays very inconsistent, with lots of drops and pikes.

CPU utilization is around 40-60% for all the cores, so something is very wrong, and I'm pretty sure that Vulkan could solve it.

Same thing happens for intel i5/i7 CPUs so that's not a CPU problem at all.

AMD is more for checking emails and doing some very light web browsing! 

I did have AMD but most games it's performed really bad so I went to a i7 6700k and msi 1080 on ssd 

squad plays brilliantly in 4K in gsync 

i get 70 to 100 frames 

but it did drop down to 55 once 

what I'm saying is AMD have massive short comings and I ****ed around with AMD stuff for 3 years it was terrible!!!! 

3 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

I did have AMD but most games it's performed really bad so I went to a i7 6700k and msi 1080 on ssd 

i get 70 to 100 frames 

what I'm saying is AMD have massive short comings and I ****ed around with AMD stuff for 3 years it was terrible!!!! 

Funny that's the only game that I had problem with AMD, anyway 45FPS is not that far from 55fps so you are in the same boat here, game here starts at 80 FPS also, it's not a CPU problem at all, gpu becomes unusable during the match. Actually I use my PC for much more than games and actually my setup crushes an i5 in every application I need from AutoCad and Solid works reendering to Vegas movie reendering, Winrar, cinebench, and heavy excel solver algorythms...So you are pretty wrong when you said it's only for web browsing, you shouldn't talk shit if you don't know what to say.

Maybe you don't know, but AMD is the architecture used for reference in most of todays games, since is the architecture inside Xbox One and PS4 PRO

2 minutes ago, B4rr3l said:

Funny that's the only game that I had problem with AMD, anyway 45FPS is not that far from 55fps so you are in the same boat here, game here starts at 80 FPS also, it's not a CPU problem at all, gpu becomes unusable during the match. Actually I use my PC for much more than games and actually my setup crushes an i5 in every application I need from AutoCad and Solid works reendering to Vegas movie reendering, Winrar, cinebench, and heavy excel solver algorythms...So you are pretty wrong when you said it's only for web browsing, you shouldn't talk shit if you don't know what to say.

Maybe you don't know, but AMD is the architecture used for reference in most of todays games, since is the architecture inside Xbox One and PS4 PRO

No it only dropped once for a second, is that what xbox and PS4 are completely shit 

not talking the piss at all just saying I put up with AMD for years but unfortunately they just don't run anywhere near as good has Intel 

hopefully they sort it out very soon 

I'm sorry but I'm just full of seeing everyone here putting the blame in AMD CPus when clearly it's not an AMD problem only. I've saw lot's of flagship i7 having the same problem in large maps with more than 60 players. After the middle of the round the performance starts to drop from 80-90 fps till 35-55FPS ans gpu usage becomes lower. Actually most of the new DX12 games are behaving better in AMD Fx setups than on i5s.

I dont belie you have an AMD and are getting 40 fps. I am still in 22-25

UE4 has terrible multithreading and rather puts most stuff on 1 core like games did 15 years ago, therefore AMD is bad :D 

4 hours ago, grimshadow said:

I dont belie you have an AMD and are getting 40 fps. I am still in 22-25

I've made a lot of videos in 50 plus FPSi n full maps (65 players+)

I will post them soon. Thats with a 4.5Ghz 8350 + 2000Mhz CL9 + RX 470

i had the 8350 and a 908ti i was getting 25 to 50 fps but that was in squad in 2015 in 60 player servers

8 hours ago, B4rr3l said:

I've made a lot of videos in 50 plus FPSi n full maps (65 players+)

I will post them soon. Thats with a 4.5Ghz 8350 + 2000Mhz CL9 + RX 470

yeah since vehicles i have never had over 30 fps on anything over 50 man servers. but thats why i SL

Posted (edited)

I have tested enable DX12 in Squad.

Works at the firing range but when connection to a server the games crash or I'm directly disconnected.

At the firing range it is hard to see any differences. FPS is locked to 60FPS and doesn't drop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can get average around 18, 30 or 40 FPS on full server depending on server/map . On a server with 10players I can get 70+fps

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955 x4 @ 3.5ghz OC

GPU: AMD Radon RX470 8GB 

RAM: 8GB

Edited by Boldtaar

As far as DX12 and Vulcan go, this is a good watch I posted at an earlier time in the Hardware Tech Support forum.

I'm pretty sure DX12 and Vulcan won't be the magic pill to fix video game performance.

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, DesmoLocke said:

I'm pretty sure DX12 and Vulcan won't be the magic pill to fix video game performance.

Yep, DX12 decided to work today, no major FPS improvement and GPU still undercharged.

I've saw what vullkan is capable in terms of processing power in Doom, I was hoping for the same  kind of improovement in unreal.

Edited by B4rr3l

My guess is that DX12 is not working with Relive. It worked yesterday with 16.11, I only changed the driver and the sound channel to 96. Or maybe it's just working in a few maps, but I've played 2 maps in DX12 yesterday.

DX12 is not enabled by Squad because UE4 doesn't properly support it. UE4 developers will actually have to put in a lot of effort to make DX12 run better than DX11, by itself DX12 changes nothing. With how their ground up work has been I doubt DX12 will be a good change in UE4.

2 hours ago, banOkay said:

DX12 is not enabled by Squad because UE4 doesn't properly support it. UE4 developers will actually have to put in a lot of effort to make DX12 run better than DX11, by itself DX12 changes nothing. With how their ground up work has been I doubt DX12 will be a good change in UE4.

You mean the Unreal Developers or the Squad developers?

DX11 or DX12, there must be something really wrong with the engine, I don't know why, but GPU and CPU stays under load in full maps.

I saw lots of videos of people with i7 processors in the same Divsul server and they all have the same 45-50FPS. My guess it's a server limit or something like that, but definately not a ping problem . Servers can''t handle the game at high FPS.

P.S. Vsync off.

9 minutes ago, B4rr3l said:

You mean the Unreal Developers or the Squad developers?

DX11 or DX12, there must be something really wrong with the engine, I don't know why, but GPU and CPU stays under load in full maps.

I saw lots of videos of people with i7 processors in the same Divsul server and they all have the same 45-50FPS. My guess it's a server limit or something like that, but definately not a ping problem . Servers can''t handle the game at high FPS.

P.S. Vsync off.

Unreal developers. Our devs have said multiple times that DX12 is not supported yet, it makes no difference if you try and force the game to run it, it won't change anything because Unreal developers haven't implemented proper support yet.

Supposing they do fix it in DX12 engine (for better CPU and GPU balance), Squad will also have benefit from that right?

3 hours ago, B4rr3l said:

Supposing they do fix it in DX12 engine (for better CPU and GPU balance), Squad will also have benefit from that right?

absolutely no way to know it. 

We are expecting that we will be on our own to improve performance in the next optimization pass this year. 

Vulkan is looking like games need to be built ground up for it so i am also not expecting any wins there. 

On 1/9/2017 at 6:10 AM, IWI-GALIL5.56FA said:

As far as DX12 and Vulcan go, this is a good watch I posted at an earlier time in the Hardware Tech Support forum.

Great vid!

On 07/01/2017 at 6:06 PM, ZXD_Lee said:

i get 70 to 100 frames 

The only game I have problems with AMD is called Squad. Squad was unplayable for me until V8, now I can play it pretty well on everything maxed out, 1080p. Stop blaming AMD CPUs, everything depends on optimization. Idiots paying for overpriced hardware is not my source of tips. Devs have done excellent job on the optimization in V8.    

Edited by kiba3x