Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonnie Money

Artillery

Posted (edited)

Since the update, I was wonder if dev will make more artillery cars and not only the insurged artillery, and will they put more on map ? Will we able to construct some ?

m198-howitzer.jpg?

Edited by Bonnie Money

We'll see mortars, but as far as full-fledged 155 mm artillery is concerned the closest I'd imagine we see to that is off-map artillery strikes (like the area attack from PR) that a team's commander can call in.

7 minutes ago, Aniallator said:

We'll see mortars, but as far as full-fledged 155 mm artillery is concerned the closest I'd imagine we see to that is off-map artillery strikes (like the area attack from PR) that a team's commander can call in.

I rather we do that. Otherwise we have less boots fighting on the front lines then. When we get more equipment like, air, armor, we are going to lose some guys fighting in the infantry role. Add that emplacement in, lose like 7 more guys. Stick with the "area attack" call in, my opinion

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Aniallator said:

Good memories from the Area of Attack :D

"COMMANDER, ENEMY SUPERFOB AND ARMOR ON F2 KEYPAD 6 IN THE BUNKER"

"Roger that Squad 3, danger close in ETA 3 minutes- clear the blast zone and standby"

3 minutes later screen is completely blurry and shaken from the bombardment and then we move in and sweep all of the dead bodies and destroyed fortifications for survivors.

EDIT: This is in NO WAY a replacement for mortars or other types of artillary/bombardment. The more things that are player controlled and require teamwork and coordination to pull off the better.

This game is not about point and click COD kill streak weapons...

Edited by Catindabox

I would like to see a deployable howitzer of sorts! It would be hard to master, but a firebase with a range of the whole 8x8 map! dayum!

8 hours ago, BlackDog1247 said:

I rather we do that. Otherwise we have less boots fighting on the front lines then. When we get more equipment like, air, armor, we are going to lose some guys fighting in the infantry role. Add that emplacement in, lose like 7 more guys. Stick with the "area attack" call in, my opinion

You say that but it is very nice to have a breather inbetween skirmishes.

Most people will be fighting between the two currently contested points, you lose half of that and you'll still have something close to 50 people still fighting somewhere in the same area.

Posted (edited)

an artillery firebase wouldnt require that much manpower to run... 1 guy in a logi 1-2 gunners, and scouts in the field that can also participate in the fight to some extent. + maybe some guards - but it should be located really far away from the action. the same goes for a mortar firebase ofcourse. with 50 vs 50 coming up i would say it could definitely make sense, while not being too crippled from losing numbers in the field.

When the mortars are added i think we're gonna see a much bigger commitment to arty than we are seeing right now with the rocket techies.

Obviously the build-up takes some man power, but its a long game and it makes sense you cannot just drop a firebase from the sky. 

Edited by Shovely Joe

Posted (edited)

Really like the idea but i think they need to buff the arty first. Last match i got stuck in forest on yehorivka and the arty shoot upon my squad. None of us died even when the explosion was close enough to blow the entire squad.

Maybe we gonna see some improvement when mortars comes up.

I guys feel the same about arty?

Edit: I mean rocket instead of arty

Edited by Ancient ifrit

yeah the rockets aren't too good imo... but it's because they fire too flat of an arch. you need them on a hill or in light of sight to target, to be effective. They are also bad against units in cover, because you can hide behind a wall or a hill.

With mortars you can just hammer whatever you like. as long as it doesn't have a roof.

28 minutes ago, Shovely Joe said:

yeah the rockets aren't too good imo... but it's because they fire too flat of an arch. you need them on a hill or in light of sight to target, to be effective. They are also bad against units in cover, because you can hide behind a wall or a hill.

With mortars you can just hammer whatever you like. as long as it doesn't have a roof.

Terrain real affects rockets but the explosion don't have strength to do some damage. Even scary, if it doesn't kill it not gonna work as supposed.

On 7.1.2017 at 6:04 AM, Ancient ifrit said:

Really like the idea but i think they need to buff the arty first. Last match i got stuck in forest on yehorivka and the arty shoot upon my squad. None of us died even when the explosion was close enough to blow the entire squad.

Maybe we gonna see some improvement when mortars comes up.

I guys feel the same about arty?

Edit: I mean rocket instead of arty

On 7.1.2017 at 6:20 AM, Shovely Joe said:

On 7.1.2017 at 6:52 AM, Ancient ifrit said:

Terrain real affects rockets but the explosion don't have strength to do some damage. Even scary, if it doesn't kill it not gonna work as supposed.

The rocket techie is the most useless vehicle in game at the moment. Very hard to Aim, expensive and long ass reload, expensive ticket cost and even if you have it zeroed perfectly on enemy squad you are lucky if 1 die. The best way to use Rocket Techie is to hide it under main protected dome so team doesnt lose manpower/tickets.

It's not meant to be pin point artillary or a perfect suppression system. At the min too many are supporting it a whole squad for one vehicle is wrong. If you had a logistic build fireteam that then goes on to provide artillery then that would be fine.

The range is fine too the w/s can change the angle for between 300m-400m for on the flat. The haphazard way it fire is the delight of this unit.

Our team was being friendly fired by that damn rocket techie a few times yesterday. We kept shouting to their Squad Leader, stop. 5 bloody times they landed very close to us and some friendlies died.

Aiming / calculating distance is damn hard, shame the passenger can't just aim it himself instead of having to swap seats and they readjusting distance/height again.

These machines are devasting/scary when they set off and get good hits on target though.

Nah @Smee, the Rocket Techie (Rockie) is pretty useless no matter how you use it. It's bad enough on public play with the vehicle claiming system on, but I haven't seen it used to any effect on CCFN either.

1 minute ago, Tartantyco said:

Nah @Smee, the Rocket Techie (Rockie) is pretty useless no matter how you use it. It's bad enough on public play with the vehicle claiming system on, but I haven't seen it used to any effect on CCFN either.

I have used it to a pretty good effect. more than me and my spotter would have ever done walking around on foot anyway. You just have to choose pretty carefully where you setup, and then wait for the "perfect" opportunity.

Posted (edited)

Once a game I supported the whole team with rocket techie alone as SL and it worked fine, but to be effective you need to camp the repair stations. 

But still kinda hard to use because there aren't lots of these cars and most people dont know how to use them correctly.

Yesterday, I learned a dude how to use it, he killed the 3 friendly cars that were far away at the begin. 

Edited by Bonnie Money

On 1/7/2017 at 0:49 PM, Shovely Joe said:

I would like to see a deployable howitzer of sorts! It would be hard to master, but a firebase with a range of the whole 8x8 map! dayum!

On 1/6/2017 at 9:31 PM, Bonnie Money said:

Since the update, I was wonder if dev will make more artillery cars and not only the insurged artillery, and will they put more on map ? Will we able to construct some ?

?

Artillery cars... I'm not sure that these exist in Western forces (happy to be corrected here), as armour already covers the range to which stationery artillery becomes effective. 

Balance wise 80mm is more than sufficient to defeat superFOBs in my opinion. 155mm would be appropriate for a long wait and long delayed fire support option for commanders. 

Realism wise 80mm have ranges of ~100m-4,000m so it represents a more realistic piece of hardware. 155mm artillery is effective to 30kms these days so it wouldn't suit anything other than an 8x8 or greater map - but good luck zeroing it. 

No such fortifications that need 155 mm artillery to be destroyed and delay time make it impossible to hit moving targets even with area attack. 

Edited by kiba3x