migkillertwo

Bipods are coming, new passive cover system as well?

So we saw in one of the more recent updates that the devs are working on a bipod system for light machine guns which, I assume, will allow us to deploy bipods when prone or when next to any object that is high or short enough. 

Would it not be relatively simple, then, to implement a passive cover system, by which I mean that when you are near a low wall and you aim down the sights over that wall, your body automatically crouches low enough so that you are just barely exposed? 

In BF4's system, for instance, you could crouch and then aim over a low wall which would rise just enough of your body to get shots off, but the reverse, where you crouch down just enough, doesn't happen. 

In RO2 however, if you are near a wall, you automatically stand higher or crouch lower to maximize cover. 

The programming for this is already there for the bipod: if you stand near a low wall, you crouch low enough to deploy the bipod, and vice versa. Could Squad not generalize this for all classes and integrate weapon resting?

I feel like RO2's system is almost perfect, but RO2 itself is *way* too fast-paced to take real advantage of its own system. Squad, by contrast, emphasizes movement and positioning and, I think, could make excellent use of this sort of cover system. 

And medium machine guns! Is anyone working on those?

Posted (edited)

I would definitely prefer this 

+ more stances
Then you could crouch down however much you wanted to and actually rest the weapon or bipod on cover

Edited by Peerun

On 03/01/2017 at 8:37 AM, Peerun said:

I would definitely prefer this 

+ more stances
Then you could crouch down however much you wanted to and actually rest the weapon or bipod on cover

This is just awesome if it get into the game! 

On 1/11/2017 at 8:49 AM, kiba3x said:

This is just awesome if it get into the game! 

Unfortunately it's not coming, at least not that I'm aware of. Tooner is an Ex-Dev. 

I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way, but collisions of that fidelity don't seem to belong in a "standard PC game" (non-VR, being very generous with the use of "standard"). On the other-hand, I completely expect this level of collision fidelity when I play games in VR.

Something about the way those collisions handle, when all I can do to interact with the world is hit some buttons or move my mouse, just seems out of place. Might be fun, but I assume it would be more frustrating than not. 

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

2 hours ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

Unfortunately it's not coming, at least not that I'm aware of. Tooner is an Ex-Dev. 

I don't know if I'm the only one that feels this way, but collisions of that fidelity don't seem to belong in a "standard PC game" (non-VR, being very generous with the use of "standard"). On the other-hand, I completely expect this level of collision fidelity when I play games in VR.

Something about the way those collisions handle, when all I can do to interact with the world is hit some buttons or move my mouse, just seems out of place. Might be fun, but I assume it would be more frustrating than not. 

Thats interesting because the reality I am seeing is that without any physical obstruction manufactured obstruction or forced collision with things like weapons looks visually terrible and feels absolutely wrong when your controllers dont actually stop. 

have some examples of where you have seen it done well?

2 hours ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

I don't like the part where the barrel just hits the wall, but skip that(make it into a pull the gun closer move) and keep the weapon resting on edges giving you less sway and I am all in.

44 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Thats interesting because the reality I am seeing is that without any physical obstruction manufactured obstruction or forced collision with things like weapons looks visually terrible and feels absolutely wrong when your controllers dont actually stop. 

@IrOnTaXi some examples:

In Insurgency (can't find a especific video, but you can see at 1:20)

http://insurgency.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_collision

In Infiltration (great stuff in a UT99 MOD)

Edited by Spinelli
added new content

24 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Would love it. Give a reason for pistols to exsist. I usually have more of a problem not being able to shoot at something because my gun is obstructed and I can't see it. This would help 10 fold. Don't think the mouse stopping thing would be a big issue compared to the Bennies 

Edited by grimshadow

53 minutes ago, IrOnTaXi said:

No, unfortunately, and it is one of the downfalls of that fidelity of collision mapping. I have a similar experience, in that I have an awful time getting long guns unstuck from under tables in various games (BAM-VR, H3VR, etc..), or pulling a long weapon back from around a corner. The same dissonance comes when trying to take cover behind something, such as a wall in Onward, and it can be momentarily unsettling . 

I guess I stated my earlier comment that way because, in a VR setting, you (or at least I) expect objects to have a more complete physical interaction with the world, even though it is still a frustrating mechanic. I imagine it would be even worse when more of these "gun controllers" start coming out in VR.

I personally don't like the mechanic either way, but I can see it being a better fit in a VR world.

TL;DR: No, I haven't seen the mechanic done well, it's always been frustrating. VR seems like the place to attempt it though.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

On 1/2/2017 at 2:40 PM, migkillertwo said:

In RO2 however, if you are near a wall, you automatically stand higher or crouch lower to maximize cover.

I couldn't stand how it worked in RO2, it sounds good in theory, but in reality you stick to a cover node which was great for weapon resting, but it was "sticky" and I got killed too often in that fraction of a second when you came under fire and couldn't get unstuck in time. Plus, mappers had to add cover nodes for it to work, so it was available in some places and not in others that were just as logical. 

I'm all for some sort of weapon resting/stance adjusting mechanic btw

On Thu Jan 12 2017 at 7:56 PM, DoctorKamikaze said:

No, unfortunately, and it is one of the downfalls of that fidelity of collision mapping. I have a similar experience, in that I have an awful time getting long guns unstuck from under tables in various games (BAM-VR, H3VR, etc..), or pulling a long weapon back from around a corner.

Agreed, I was pretty excited when they said they were going to add the feature to Insurgency, but it barely changed the way I play and only served as an annoyance until I learned to work around it. The problem is, as you say, that it's very difficult to actually judge how much space your gun is taking up in a video game. Sure, you have some idea, but you need to know EXACTLY because being one inch off means you're giving your rifle a nice big hug while the enemy tears you to pieces. You just don't get that kind of precision spatial awareness from a computer monitor.