Ridoc

Don't SL under 50h!! (Understand Game Mechanics first)

31 posts in this topic

Welcome new Players ... But please, please play this game more than 50h before starting a Squad

This Noob SLs currently running arround ruin the game... :(

Im in this community over a Year, we really like to help and explain you guys .. but get informed, watch tutorials, play with some expericend SLs before starting your own squad

I will temp quit this until 8th January otherwise i would start rage kicking people from Server...

Edited by Ridoc

If people wanna learn how to squad lead, watch Running_duck on twitch after watching i see alot of people still dont use Squads to there full potential

Na, seen lots of new players squad leading first time and doing well.. Not the best they make mistakes and I explain them how to do it.

Let them learn. Best way is to jump in as SL after like 5 hours and see how they adapt.

Of course gameplay suffer.. It's hard with steam winter sale to find a good match now.

But thinks will settle.. As always and we get back the quality we had.

What ruins the game are people making it impossible for new people to *want* to learn how to do things by constantly berating them at every turn.

Help the new SL figure out the role so he wants to keep doing it. Where are new SLs supposed to come from? Make the game and community welcoming to new people, not hostile. The only way the game community stays healthy and strong is to give new people a chance to grow into the game and become passionate about it. Making them feel like idiots or noobs is not the way to do that and is only going to result in a small community full of know-it-alls.

and agaiin the old topic, i can't hear it anymore.

just let them do, because when they do, there is no one else going to squadlead

i was SL'ing at my first hop in Squad for that reason. i know im not the best SL but im leading it and don't just open it for weapons

I will temp quit this until 8th January otherwise i will start rage kicking people from Server...

this is really poor, u better open a squad by you're own then

Edited by Jaghammer

Lol... I'm here a year and teacher a lot noobs

Yes make fun, getting beaten 6 rounds in a row. I always make squads as SL.

but atm not many SL to cooperate

2 hours ago, Ridoc said:

I will temp quit this until 8th January otherwise i will start rage kicking people from Server...

Hopefully your server isn't licensed because thats a good way to have your server shut down. :)

@SuicidalChair why do you think I pause public matches? i know the server rules pretty well - that's what I wrote:

i prefer quitting and writing here before raging 

dont get me wrong, new player base is good. but I experience a large number of SL that don't understand the basic mechanic of the game.

therefore they can not do any proper action.

i talk about:

- FoBs far away of any action (even at main bases?)

- squads on unimportant flags

- No communication with Squad or SL

- Spending 1000 construction points without 1 ammo crate

they would learn about all that as a squad member pretty fast . How can they understand their squad needs if not as a squad member?

Edited by Ridoc

18 minutes ago, Ridoc said:

@SuicidalChair why do you think I pause public matches? i know the server rules pretty well - that's what I wrote:

dont get me wrong, new player base is good. but I experience a large number of SL that don't understand the basic mechanic of the game.

i talk about:

I was not aware you did that since it didn't say it strictly, I know your just being frustrated but I'm just reminding you the rules :P

I was doing hours of Noob Training Squads at the Free Weekend every Day... Every SL of FC did this. We had always 2 squads open on each side.

So I don't accept anyone saying we don't like them to learn.

Im just frustrated about the pure lack of interest about game mechanics and any preparation.

"oh hey, I have no f***** clue about Squad - I will do Squad Leader and I will be great"

:( unfortunately they don't.

I experienced 2 SL that actually asked the players for tips. The rest was resistant

34 minutes ago, Ridoc said:

i talk about:

they would learn about all that as a squad member pretty fast . How can they understand their squad needs if not as a squad member?

I'd like to point out that even people with 100's of hours still regularly do stuff like this; it isn't exclusive to new people.

I personally feel a time limit to become an SL is arbitrary and useless, and should NOT be implemented. Playing 50 hours != good SL, and I've seen plenty of people over the many months (myself included) start SL-ing from their 2nd/3rd games. 

We get bad SL's either way, no avoiding it. Let the new people learn if they want to.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

i would also prefer a kind of playable tutorial like I remember at Americas Army. 

Thata not fool proof surely, but we need to start somehwere

3 hours ago, Ridoc said:

Welcome new Players ... But please, please play this game more than 50h before starting a Squad

Im in this community over a Year, we really like to help and explain you guys .. but get informed, watch tutorials, play with some expericend SLs before starting your own squad

So what is your suggestion when I join a match, there are 3 full squads and a dozen unassigned?  To just go solo?  Find a different server?  Can I get your SteamID so when I stumble upon these situations I can ask you what the rules are?  I would hate to get kicked from a server.  What server is this by the way?  

Oh man.. Like people want to misunderstand ;) No one is getting kicked.

just started a discussion

Edited by Ridoc

22 hours ago, Ridoc said:

I will temp quit this until 8th January otherwise i would start rage kicking people from Server...

This is the sort of attitude that comes off as self indulgent elitist. We will keep this game tucked away in a corner if we think this way.

Edited by BigPickle

On 29/12/2016 at 10:22 PM, Ridoc said:

if he played PR. that would not be a problem.

I disagree with this idea for several reasons. Reason 1: When joining a server you might be one of the few with an 'appropriate' amount of time spent ingame, and thus you would HAVE TO be squad lead, even if you have no desire to be, because without you everybody would be running around without squads.

Reason 2: it's also easily circumvented by just leaving the game running in the background.

Reason 3: I came into Squad during the free weekend and became SL in my second or third match after everybody in the squad pushed for me to take over from the existing SL who was running around on the other side of the map and not communicating, making no attempt to gather everybody up etc. So I started suggesting things to do, one thing led to the next and before you know it 6 randoms I've never met before were practically begging for me to get the SL role. I didn't know the flow of the map nor did I understand every single mechanic in the game, but I knew enough to keep the group cohesive, occupied and working together and having a good time as I have some experience as an outdoor sports instructor as well as being SL in games like ArmA. Don't remember if we won or lost that round, but even when losing the war you can have great battles as a squad. 

People need to be given a chance. If it doesn't work out, create a new squad and have existing members switch over and leave the bad SL to himself. I had one of those in my last match, we spent 6 minutes at spawn trying to explain to him how to claim vehicles until finally I came to the realisation he didn't even have the SL kit and that's why nothing was working out. Aside from that he didn't even formulate a plan or have any clue what to do with us. When you have that little understanding of the game then no, you shouldn't be SL. But if you know how to keep people together and moving towards a common goal, I'm okay with people not understanding every single aspect of the mechanics. Those things can be explained easily and quickly. In the case of this particular guy, I think he didn't even know enough to switch roles, or the importance of the SL role. Sad to say everybody in the squad became very toxic almost instantly.

The only requirement i see for SLs is having a MIC, it's so frustrating to get into a game with 4 squad full, 2 of them SL having no mics.

I understand you are being annoyed by incompetent SL for even basic stuff, however you need to start somewhere, and the fact that the community understand it and help newbies to learn is an awesome proof of healthy and mature community. I d rather see a shitty SL and help him than seeing him geting bashed.

Moreover, you cant just set a limit amount of hour, SL have a lot to do with charisma and how they handle situation, oftenly not affected by hours of play.

And finaly, dont just listen to you SL eyes closed(good or bad SL), you can participate, ask for explaination, informing him other possible options ... 

I tried leading once i hit over 200 hours. I'm not the greatest at it, but what i see these days in public matches is beyond pathetic and has turned me off to play Squad again. Unless i find a serious clan i can join and have some decent expieriences with.

Cuz pub games is a total joke atm, no comms among SL's...Squads not communitcating or cooperating, 
SL's doing what ever they like such as placing FOB's all over the map, vehicle hoarding, etc...etc....

SL'ing should be unlockable after X amount of hours IMO. 

Some new players are quick learners, doesn't mean everybody is a quick learner. I think it's selfish for the 8 other guys in your squad if you pick SL and don't know what you're doing. It's also selfish for the rest of the team and can suck the fun out of the game.

Theres probably gonna be some kind of SL commendation system in the future, so you can see which squad leaders people find enjoyable to play with.

But we need it now!

Bad squad leaders are the single most common issue cited amongst my friends for why they stopped playing squad.

Bad Squad Leaders are the single most common reason I quit a gaming session.

A rank system and a reputation system are necessary, with threshold levels of both required to be a Squad leader.

egg

Posted (edited)

^Its the truth, although "bad" squad members is the single reason why I dont bother to squad lead that often :P Ive said it before, but players who have 500+ hours or more in this game cant really be asked to lead a squad with 5-8 persons who are almost new to the game (game after game after game). Allow for smaller squads, which will lower the squad leaders burden during all these sales, and we might just see some seasoned players bothering to squad leads again.

I worry a bit about a ranking system though, it might excessively encourage players to focus on how many points they are getting (so youll see 18 guys staying on the first flag just to get those 100 points for capping). Although this might be a better alternative to what we have currently, which is exessively focusing on kills (im guilty as charged, although I always try to play thr objectives aswell). But people who hoard points piss me off more than people who play for kills, since good k/d in the current scoring system says more good things about a player, than a good score, in most cases. After all, most kills will be made around or inside an objective or a FOB.

However, I might change my opinion about this after the revamp of the scoring system in V9.

Edited by plissken