Disco

Opinions on 1070 GTX card

Hi guys,

I have good deal on following gpu:

ASUS TURBO-GTX1070-8G

Seller mentioned memory is from Samsung, why is that so important?

I need to make quick decision in limited time frame. I know for such matters, internet and google are my best friends but I simply can't dedicate time for that cause of deadlines. Any quick responses will be much appreciated. Are there any hidden quirks and flaws at this card like heavy coil wine, fan noise, flickering, memory issues or any of that sort? Did anyone had to RMA?

Thx in advance! :)

Some cards had Micron memory which did not perform as well as the Samsung memory and made some troubles and it got fixed with a bios update if i remember correctly. So a 1070 with Samsung memory is the way to go!

EDT: Typo

Afaik ASUS has received the most praise of all the 10xx OEMs. Although people usually talk about the Strix version you should be perfectly fine with this, the 1070 is a great card, just make sure you're actually getting a good deal.

My GTX 1070 MSI Gaming X card cost me £430 and then when there was news about BREXIT, prices shot up to £480.

Most sites brought their prices back down by looks of it, apart from Overclockers. They're still at £455

My card is whisper quiet and fan turns off when not in use. The 1070 cards will run SQUAD at 1440p and still get 60+ FPS.

Best hardware upgrade I went for since jumping up from the GTX 770 which lasted me 3-4 years. I was so tempted to get a 900 series, but waited it out and glad I did.

I have the ASUS Strix GTX1070 OC Gaming.

I like it pretty much, it's look very cool because RGB-LED's, you can set Colors and some Pulse-Effects by yourself.

It's already overclocked and there's still space to OC it more.

0db.. means the Cooler's are idle when the GPU is idle or has a low usage(like watching movies or Youtube etc...)

even when the GPU is really busy, it's not that loud as my old GPU's

just one thing i haven't think about before:

the card is very big, when i first put it in my PC i've noticed, there was not enough space to the front (HDD or any else -cage), i just cut it out of my medium-tower

Edited by Jaghammer

Thx all for taking your time to respond and help out fellow squaddie! I love this community! Again, thank you! :)

I didn't put price cause I was afraid it might get moderated or issue a warning. Deal was 370e on local market. In my country, 1070 is around 500-600e (yeah, tax). Probably there are much cheaper deals on net but by the time it gets to my hands, delivery and customs would get price really high up. I called the seller, confirmed and probably tomorrow will get the card. Nothing is set to stone so if anyone else chime in, it will be more than welcomed!

If I was building a PC at this moment, I'd get at 1070 or at least a 1060 6 GB.  If it was 1 or 2 months from now, it would depend highly on how well the RX 490 or equivalent (500 series) performs.

15 minutes ago, Disco said:

Thx all for taking your time to respond and help out fellow squaddie! I love this community! Again, thank you! :)

I didn't put price cause I was afraid it might get moderated or issue a warning. Deal was 370e on local market. In my country, 1070 is around 500-600e (yeah, tax). Probably there are much cheaper deals on net but by the time it gets to my hands, delivery and customs would get price really high up. I called the seller, confirmed and probably tomorrow will get the card. Nothing is set to stone so if anyone else chime in, it will be more than welcomed!

That's a steal in EU :D

5 hours ago, banOkay said:

That's a steal in EU :D

That's how I feel too :)

If you want to play nearly everything in 2K high frames then the 1070 is fantastic IMO (I have the MSI Gaming X 1070), 4K well you need 1080 plus for decent frames it would seem etc.

Decent frames to me are 60 plus.

If I remember from my research the only bad thing about the turbo model is the cooling compared to the other ASUS cards but if you have good case cooling this shouldn't be an issue unless your planning on OC it a fair bit.

On 1/3/2017 at 4:46 PM, Squike said:

If I remember from my research the only bad thing about the turbo model is the cooling compared to the other ASUS cards but if you have good case cooling this shouldn't be an issue unless your planning on OC it a fair bit.

Already ordered Arctic Twin Turbo III :D (had older version on 4870 and was super satisfied by noise and temperature results... super silent and cool even at 100% load. After that, every other card sounded as vacuum cleaner)

Thx again for everyone's input! Conclusion? Deal was made and I'm waiting for new PSU to install it all together.

Since, this is kind of entry point to 1070 series and might be interesting for few more people tight on budget, I will run some numbers and make small review if anyone else need this kind of info.

ok, here is the update (30.07.2018. :) ). Card is still relevant and someone might use experience i had here:

in Squad v11, it gives 40-60 fps (i5 4790K, 16GB, SSD, monitor 1080p, all settings on max, vsync on). Lower number is for heavy combat. Don't really notice any lag or major slowdowns. Firefight are fluid but when i turn on fps counter i do notice sometimes it dips to 40 so i put that number at beginning. Temps are around 80C on full usage. I was really positively surprised by lack of noise when there is 100% usage. And i was kinda spoiled about noise... on previous card i put Arctic Twin Turbo II. It's great aftermarket GPU cooler that brings fan noise and temps significantly! I highly recommend that product if your GPU is supported!

Now... that leads me to another topic... With great experience from ATT II cooler, I thought to buy ATT III for my 1070. I was so confident that was good idea, I ordered one as soon as I brought this card. Oh, boy... what a mistaker to maker :) I delayed to put it on for one year... didn't really had a reason. Noise was ok and temps where at limits without throttling. But then, hey, i already brought it so why not? Heh... installation guide is so finicky... and in middle of installation i realized: memory is NOT cooled with active massive frontal cooler?! If i knew that before installation i would never do it! Only backplate cools memory?! Very strange design decision? Especially since ATT II already had active cooler for both applications... and much more easier installation. And you really have to pay close attention when doing screws. I snapped one by over tightening! And some of screws have banded PCB. I'm not sure how will I resell it... if i saw that as buyer i would never buy it. I saved old cooler and will probably put it back once i intend to sell it. And oh yeah, i had to set it up twice. First time, due to snapped screw, i got poor temp performance... 

But... to be honest... performance is amazing. No noise whatsoever and temps are around 60-65 max at full usage without throttling. Actually, now, only thing i hear when I'm gaming is my PSU (i think that thing revs up fan while powering the card; its Seasonic with some active cooling solution). Still... I would NOT do this mod again to this card. I can NOT recommend Arctic Twin Turbo III. There is version with triple fan and that is supposed to install like ATT II. Maybe go that path or check some other manufacturer. ATT III is definitely bad choice. 

Edited by Disco