BaldadigeAnton

Ear plugs to filter noise

Hello guys,

So I have been playing quite a while now and had some trouble communicating with my squad while sitting inside a BTR. I know I can go to my settings and lower the effects volume or increasing the radio volume, but with effects low I can't listen to footsteps a minute later when we are in a close combat firefight. It is quite the hassle to go to the menu again to change the volumes while in a firefight. So something I think would be an addition is to have the ability to plug in ear plugs or something similar (like in-ear noise-cancelling headphones). Of course, the negative effects are that all sounds (also proximity voice chat maybe?) except squad radio are muffled, but communicating with the squad will be much easier. This feature is really necessary with helicopters and planes when those hit. The game that got this feature right (just like the free look and multiple combat positions) is ARMAIII I use this a lot when flying a chopper or noisy vehicle in ARMAIII - King of the Hill and I think there is nothing wrong with using some good features to make the game (Squad) even better than it already is.

Looking forward to your reactions guys. See you around on the battlefield.

Edit: thanks for the correction Grey and DoctorKamikaze, ARMAIII does not have the ear plugs as core content but they are built in through a ACE/ACRE addition.

Edited by BaldadigeAnton

7 hours ago, BaldadigeAnton said:

The game that got this feature right ... is ARMAIII ...

For the record, earplugs are not a feature of Arma 3.

8 hours ago, BaldadigeAnton said:

Hello guys,

So I have been playing quite a while now and had some trouble communicating with my squad while sitting inside a BTR. I know I can go to my settings and lower the effects volume or increasing the radio volume, but with effects low I can't listen to footsteps a minute later when we are in a close combat firefight. It is quite the hassle to go to the menu again to change the volumes while in a firefight. So something I think would be an addition is to have the ability to plug in ear plugs or something similar (like in-ear noise-cancelling headphones). Of course, the negative effects are that all sounds (also proximity voice chat maybe?) except squad radio are muffled, but communicating with the squad will be much easier. This feature is really necessary with helicopters and planes when those hit. The game that got this feature right (just like the free look and multiple combat positions) is ARMAIII and I think there is nothing wrong with using some good features to make the game (Squad) even better than it already is.

Looking forward to your reactions guys. See you around on the battlefield.

ARMA III earplugs are an ACE/ACRE addition, not core content.

1 hour ago, Grey said:

Beat me to it.

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

Aye thanks guys, I did not know it was an addon/mod addition, but now that I think of it I indeed only used it in the KotH gametypes.

Edited by BaldadigeAnton

14 hours ago, Grey said:

It's not core content, but it is in ACE/ACRE/tons of other sound mods. It's a well-appreciated feature in my opinion, even if it does add another control to a game where every single key is utilized in multiple configurations. 

6 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

It's not core content, but it is in ACE/ACRE/tons of other sound mods. It's a well-appreciated feature in my opinion, even if it does add another control to a game where every single key is utilized in multiple configurations. 

Of course, I never said anything to the contrary. Adding earplugs to an Arma mission is actually a very simple proposition via scripting, no mod necessary.

16 hours ago, VarenykySupreme said:

God forbid we have a key that opens a small menu that lets you repack magazines or put in earplugs or some other neat but completely ignorable feature. Something that would be nice to have but someone could decide to never use it and still have a full experience.