Norman373

Tags for terrain features to coordinate fire and movement

Hey community,

I tried to check the search and nothing came up so I hope this entry doesnt already exist.

My suggeston is to either implement basic tags for terrain features on the overview maps or give SL´s the possibility to draw them on the map. 

It would really help with navigating and coordinating fire and movement and give squad members clear fields of fire.

I imagine it like this:

Squad 1, we are taking up positions at the "Farm".

riflemen 1 and 2 you watch the sector from "Big Tree" on the left to "Snake Road" on the right.

3 and 4 you cover "Haystack" through "Big Rock".

Sniper and DMR you advance along "Curvy Street" 150meters and position yourself at overwatch point "Green Hill" facing the riverbank.

In the German Army this is called "Geländetaufe" ("terrain tagging", literally "terrain christening") and helps a lot when you dont have street names and to be able to invent names for terrain features for ease of communication and calling out targets.

Let me hear what you think about that

Cheers

Edited by Norman373

This seems unnecessary to me. You can just as easily use grid references or refer to the flags and distinguished features on the map that don't need unique names.

In-game I find some SL's already say stuff like "Move to the compound in H7, keypad 4."

Yeah, well, the basic problem in my eyes is still that when a squad is establishing a firing line it only makes little sense to call out bearings and the grid references are a bit too much to ask for most players because they dont use the map very often.

I can see though that drawing only ends up in douchebags drawing penisses and stuff...

It isnt so much a problem on big maps with clear terrain features, but if it is really crammed or built up, it would be good to have at least some markings on the maps that you can refer to. Street names for bigger streets and names for the hills (or heights that you can refer to) would be a big improvement in my eyes still.

It is now always like "the hill west of FOB Papanov" and there are like three ridgelines. If they were marked on the map as "hilltop 171", "racoon ridge" and stuff like that it would really help. So maybe implement that on the level maps right away instead of getting people make up their own names?

Thanks for the comments!

We have markers to use for that and I don't mean the enemy location markers either. The markers tied to the compass are extremely useful for getting your squad to focus on a specific area. Just wish they were visible on the map for all squads.

I know this is common in military but it would be much simpler gameplay wise to have map layout overlay that can toggle on/off with icons that only your squad can see (tho there could be separate one between SL's). These icons could vary from numbers, letters, fov cones, arrows/lines (that can rotate) to anything that can be added as an mod.

Only SL can mark the icons but every squadmember is able to remove icons (only from  their own map, not from others).

Arent people not already naming things? 

I guess majority of people know the exact place if i say Nipple Hill, or Titty Mountain. 

Just start naming things and eventually people will take it. 

:-D 

Edited by runningDuck

nipple hill needs to get protected status.

Mappers, please note: You will be punished if you meddle with nipple hill in a way that reduces its landmark value.

I'd love to just be able to draw lines on the map.

Being able to show a movement route, showing fields of fire you want set up, showing boundaries of where you want your squad to be, etc.