Aegon_Valyrian

Kid playing Squad...?

Hello. As you have seen my title, it's around the subject of Kids playing squad. Everyone hates kids, Right? Squeakers. Dolphins. Well, I for one am 14. I don't have much of a deep pitch voice, therefore classed as a Squeaker. Most games, I've been rejected. I know the objective of the game, I follow it, I talk once, I get kicked. Yes, we have many bad examples of "Kids" out there. "Your mom!" and all that. But seeing the reputation we've been given, I don't even know. I want to buy this game with the remaining money I have left, But I don't want to be a mute, and I'm paranoid of people calling me a Squeaker. I've seen various topics on this forum regarding Kids. Whether it be Funny encounters, Stupid moves, all that. But most people seem to disagree with the opinions of the people who are against us. I've seen this community act against that. I just want to know, if I were to join, would I be accepted? Or left with the rest of the kids. I don't know anymore. But thank you for reading this.

For those who wouldn't mind a Young Teenager, Steam ID: SkepticalCyborg 

Edited by Aegon_Valyrian
Added Steam ID So people can contact me.

There are some younger players that play but they tend to have older heads. You posting on a forum to begin with, which is a refreshing start, and show some maturity. Squad is not a COD shooter, or Bf clone. It's got a maturer head. But if you up for working as a team player you can set your own reputation which will grow and make it a fun game.

Everything in life is a risk, but be polite and you may find a place in squad. 

I know I've had some capable kids in my squads. They don't typically make competent squad leaders but it's possible I guess.

Just had a match today where a "squeaker" joined the squad and started asking questions. He was definitely a newbie, and knew nothing about the game. It was pretty irritating having him ask so many questions and not understand the basics while the SL was trying to run a squad. I understand when people like him get kicked, but all in all, I'm fine with younger players so long as they know at least the basics and how to work as a squad/team.

So as long as you know what you're doing somewhat and participate, I don't think you'll have many problems :)

There is a fundamental reason why "squeakers" are shunned by many gaming communities, and it's just an unfortunate reality of the maturing process. I personally don't have any issues with younger players, only with a player's behavior. The issue that I was referring to is that before hitting puberty (and for many, years afterwards as well), most people have not yet developed their social acuity to an acceptable level yet, and it results in what can be referred to as SVD (squeaker verbal diarrhea).

The younger players that I have had in my squads generally realize that it is not your average  shooter game, and that communication and such are very important. The part they haven't mastered yet, is knowing when to talk and when to be quiet, or even at a more basic level... what other people want to hear. A younger player will often over communicate with details or information that is not relevant to the squad and thus becomes a nuisance. It's clear they are trying, but the frequency and irrelevancy of what they are saying leads the other players (who have to listen to the SVD) to become annoyed and thus either say hurtful things or simply remove the source of the SVD from the squad. 

For some people, it may indeed be the higher pitched voice that bothers them, but I believe that the vast majority of players simply have a low tolerance for microphone spam, but younger players have trouble discerning what is spam and what is "good communication". And for sure, things that a person with a deep, mature voice would get away with (like calling for a medic repeatedly) will be pounced upon if done by a child-sounding voice. 

So in conclusion, my advice to you, if you do try play squad, would be the following:

• For your first few games, stay as silent as possible (within reason) and use that time to learn what level of communication other players operate at
    • If you want, at the start of the game you can type a small intro (in squad chat, using L) like "Hey I am a younger player and I want to learn how to play properly. I have a mic but people don't like younger voices so I'll only talk when I really have to" or something like that. The squad or squad leaders may say "Oh hey that's fine you can talk", or they may kick you straight away. You'll just have to suck it up and try a different squad. 
  • Before you talk, make sure what you're saying is relevant to the rest of the squad. Some examples:
    • Bad
      • I'm down
      • MEDIIIIIIC
      • Contacts!!! 
      • Can I have a rally?
      • Enemies 265 
    • Good examples of the above
      • I was killed on the south west of the flag, they're in the buildings
      • I'm down on the south west of the flag, [Medic name] when you get time I'd appreciate a revive if possible (Then don't ask again for a medic for at least 60 seconds). 
      • Enemies to the East of the flag, coming down the hill. 
      • Squad leader, the rally went down... where would you like me to spawn?
      • Enemies west-265 of the squad, I saw two in the treeline. 
  • If possible, once you have some game time (maybe 5-10 hours), get a couple of friends to join you, and play as a support squad (defense roles, tail another squad etc) and thus you can learn at your own pace, and if people join the squad and have a problem with your voice, you can just politely kick them from the squad. 
  • Play medic as much as possible, and when doing so, remember you are the most valuable player except for the squad leader, so make sure you're one of the last to die (don't charge in). If the squad leader asks you to be something else like rifleman, do so... but your default should be to pick the medic kit, and get GOOD with it.
Edited by Psyrus

Often kids can be annoying to play with. You need to be old enough to realise you're not special... there is no room for feeling special in squad. Often younger players want to play "sniper", go lonewolfing, talk nonsense or something else, because they're feeling special. thats just my experience. all might to the ones that play their role and understand the game though. sure a squeaky voice can get you kicked from time to time, but pick up medic and show that you mean business. No one in their right mind kicks a good medic.

Edited by Shovely Joe

found them on bigdaddy gaming. we're getting back cap and i said., guys go to the point fallback, kid: you're are not an SL so shut up,
i was going to say are you trained by the military? then irealize. idint need to say it the game is already a loss.

but ireally hate the attitude they're showing.

Edited by tweak by one

1 hour ago, Nikko B said:

Just had a match today where a "squeaker" joined the squad and started asking questions. He was definitely a newbie, and knew nothing about the game. It was pretty irritating having him ask so many questions and not understand the basics while the SL was trying to run a squad. I understand when people like him get kicked, but all in all, I'm fine with younger players so long as they know at least the basics and how to work as a squad/team.

So as long as you know what you're doing somewhat and participate, I don't think you'll have many problems :)

well, tutorial does not have that much of the tutorial.

Edited by tweak by one

Video games have nothing to do with age. Be mature but have fun. I've played with older groups of people my whole life and haven't had a problem with it.

6 hours ago, tweak by one said:

found them on bigdaddy gaming. we're getting back cap and i said., guys go to the point fallback, kid: you're are not an SL so shut up,

Well, if you are not a squadleader, dont give commands that the squadleader didnt give. Its impolite and disrespectful to the squadleader.

You should be fine ingame, just do your best to understand the basics and follow your SLs commands.

When I first got Squad I followed the SL about the map as they would typically know what they're doing. 

You may struggle to find a group to join and play with due to clan's set age limits.

I love playing with the young lads. The squeakier or higher pitched the voice the better imo. They tend to be humble and follow along. I typically reach out to them on steam and show them the ropes... now friends with a few 12-14 year olds! It's great! And I'm over 30.  

Thank you all for the positive feedback. All this is great advice that I will certainly use. My steam ID Is: SkepticalCyborg if any SLs would like to give it a try and won't have a problem with someone like me. (My birthplace is also Northern Ireland, so my accent can be VERY irritating at moments because of the very different way we pronounce certain words.)

Edited by Aegon_Valyrian
Forgot to add Steam ID.

1 hour ago, Darthy said:

There should be at least a 16 age restriction for this game 

age is arbitrary non-sense in video games.

1) It will stop no one
2) It's arrogant to think it would

3) antagonizes kids even more

So you have to deal with the occasional squeaker? They're so rare I don't know why anyone even complains. The best thing you can do is just ignore it and focus on playing the game. There are many older players that are just as bad or worse.

19 hours ago, Smee said:

There are some younger players that play but they tend to have older heads. You posting on a forum to begin with, which is a refreshing start, and show some maturity. Squad is not a COD shooter, or Bf clone. It's got a maturer head. But if you up for working as a team player you can set your own reputation which will grow and make it a fun game.

Everything in life is a risk, but be polite and you may find a place in squad. 

Well said!

Age doesnt matter. Maturity does. :) By seeing this post, i think you'll most able to be accepted.

Since you are new, I moved the thread to Introductions/New Players. Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you find others to play along with! Most people on here don't mind teenagers (Or kids as you call it)) as long as you stay mature, you'll get right along :) Enjoy your stay, if you have any questions feel free to pm me!

1 hour ago, wetblue13 said:

Since you are new, I moved the thread to Introductions/New Players. Welcome to the forums! Hopefully you find others to play along with! Most people on here don't mind teenagers (Or kids as you call it)) as long as you stay mature, you'll get right along :) Enjoy your stay, if you have any questions feel free to pm me!

Thank you. I purchased the game last night and learnt the basic controls. Hopefully I'll find a group to play along with. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Aegon_Valyrian said:

Thank you. I purchased the game last night and learnt the basic controls. Hopefully I'll find a group to play along with. Thanks.

No problem, look in the recruitment threads!

16 hours ago, Elirah said:

Well, if you are not a squadleader, dont give commands that the squadleader didnt give. Its impolite and disrespectful to the squadleader.

Well irespect the squadlead. but getting backcapped until you force to respawn in main. and to explain idint bring up the whole convo. before i start talking i politely suggest Guys you should fall back then iget shot. near at main by tango's. poop gone. ten isaid guys fall back to the point!

Hello. As you have seen my title, it's around the subject of Kids playing squad. Everyone hates kids, Right? Squeakers. Dolphins. Well, I for one am 14. I don't have much of a deep pitch voice, therefore classed as a Squeaker. Most games, I've been rejected. I know the objective of the game, I follow it, I talk once, I get kicked. Yes, we have many bad examples of "Kids" out there. "Your mom!" and all that. But seeing the reputation we've been given, I don't even know. I want to buy this game with the remaining money I have left, But I don't want to be a mute, and I'm paranoid of people calling me a Squeaker. I've seen various topics on this forum regarding Kids. Whether it be Funny encounters, Stupid moves, all that. But most people seem to disagree with the opinions of the people who are against us. I've seen this community act against that. I just want to know, if I were to join, would I be accepted? Or left with the rest of the kids. I don't know anymore. But thank you for reading this.

For those who wouldn't mind a Young Teenager, Steam ID: SkepticalCyborg 

If you're not lagging too much on Singapore server, join us on TOPPER SERVER(can be found via search). We're usually online from (GMT +8) 9pm onwards, be aware traffic will only peak starting from (GMT +8) ~11PM

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk