PolishKruk

SQUAD, we have a problem

There is a growing epidemic in our dear community. One that I'm afraid is going to spiral out of control. I am talking about the attitudes that veteran players are directing towards new players. On reddit and in this forum you will find topics made by veteran players condemning new players for being squad leaders. Insisting that a time in game requirement be made to keep the newbs from picking such a vital class. I understand the argument, SL is a vital role and not an easy task. An inexperienced leader can quite easily lead to a loss where a more experienced one could have turned the tide. The problem isn't that new players are making squads and pulling people away from experienced SLs or not coordinating with other SLs. The problem is that so many veteran players are content to join these squads as well, grab a kit with an optic or GL and then focus on their own little goal of racking up as many kills as they can. They don't give the SL advice, they don't promote squad cohesion and they don't focus on objectives beyond their own singular scope. In short, they don't teach the new members of this community what Squad is all about. 

Now maybe I'm wrong but I find it EXTREMELY hypocritical for players to condemn others for being bad at a role or wasting a role while not stepping up to fill said role themselves. Yes, I know your argument, "But Polish, there are not enough experienced players to be SL all the time." BULLSHIT! While monitoring my server I honed in on a particular squad with a particular player that is a member of a particular clan that has a certain negative reputation around here. This squad had four members in it with over 100 hours in Squad. One of those guys had over 700! How many hours did the SL have? Eight point ****ing six! Were these vastly more experienced players teaching this new guy how to lead? NOPE, they were piggybacking off of him to grab the kits they wanted and go kill people, plain and simple. 

For the sake of this game and this community this behavior has got to stop! If you have over 1000 hours please squad lead! If you have over 500 hours please squad lead! If you have over 100 hours please squad lead! I know its a lot to expect you to lead round after round. Even I can't do it. But then be a model squad member when you aren't leading. Be the squad member that you want to have when you are a SL. Lead by example!

Everyone always talks about having to join clan servers to find serious games and how the pug servers are shit. Well the reason is because the clanners jump from their servers and come to the community servers to **** off and wreck newbs. **** off on your own servers and we'll see how the quality of gameplay stays in there.

1400hrs
Not going to SL every round personally. Especially joining halfway through a match and the team has already screwed themselves over. I do agree more need to step up, because gameplay lately has been absolutely terrible.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

1 hour ago, PolishKruk said:

-snip-

Insightful. Unfortunately while I am relatively new to the game but have 200 hours (Still a bit lost at times) I know enough to help out and try to squad lead from time to time. I am also pretty guilty of this but it is imperative as a small community to pull together and try to help the new guys out. What I won't help is an arrogant SL with <100 hours that doesn't want your advice because he comes from another MILSIM game or plays MILSIM airsoft irl. 

Some of us might have a chip on our shoulder but I agree we have to be more receiving towards the new guys in order for this community to thrive and grow. 

Great post!

4 minutes ago, GreatDestroyerDT said:

1400hrs
Not going to SL every round personally. Especially joining halfway through a match and the team has already screwed themselves over. I do agree more need to step up, because gameplay lately has been absolutely terrible.

I completely understand and agree. But like I said, when not leading try to be that squad member that you love to lead.

I don't mind being SL, but I myself only have 30hrs playing time... Im comfortable to be SL but don't really know the best tactics for CPs on any map tbh. But for me, communication is key in Squad and it's obviously one of the fundamental factors of Squad but too many are taking on SL without a mic or without talking/giving direction to the team...

On 25. 12. 2016 at 6:54 PM, PolishKruk said:

There is a growing epidemic in our dear community. One that I'm afraid is going to spiral out of control. I am talking about the attitudes that veteran players are directing towards new players. On reddit and in this forum you will find topics made by veteran players condemning new players for being squad leaders. Insisting that a time in game requirement be made to keep the newbs from picking such a vital class. I understand the argument, SL is a vital role and not an easy task. An inexperienced leader can quite easily lead to a loss where a more experienced one could have turned the tide. The problem isn't that new players are making squads and pulling people away from experienced SLs or not coordinating with other SLs. The problem is that so many veteran players are content to join these squads as well, grab a kit with an optic or GL and then focus on their own little goal of racking up as many kills as they can. They don't give the SL advice, they don't promote squad cohesion and they don't focus on objectives beyond their own singular scope. In short, they don't teach the new members of this community what Squad is all about. 

Now maybe I'm wrong but I find it EXTREMELY hypocritical for players to condemn others for being bad at a role or wasting a role while not stepping up to fill said role themselves. Yes, I know your argument, "But Polish, there are not enough experienced players to be SL all the time." BULLSHIT! While monitoring my server I honed in on a particular squad with a particular player that is a member of a particular clan that has a certain negative reputation around here. This squad had four members in it with over 100 hours in Squad. One of those guys had over 700! How many hours did the SL have? Eight point ****ing six! Were these vastly more experienced players teaching this new guy how to lead? NOPE, they were piggybacking off of him to grab the kits they wanted and go kill people, plain and simple. 

For the sake of this game and this community this behavior has got to stop! If you have over 1000 hours please squad lead! If you have over 500 hours please squad lead! If you have over 100 hours please squad lead! I know its a lot to expect you to lead round after round. Even I can't do it. But then be a model squad member when you aren't leading. Be the squad member that you want to have when you are a SL. Lead by example!

Everyone always talks about having to join clan servers to find serious games and how the pug servers are shit. Well the reason is because the clanners jump from their servers and come to the community servers to **** off and wreck newbs. **** off on your own servers and we'll see how the quality of gameplay stays in there.

The misconception that having a lot of hours automatically make you a good squad leader is a myth.

A good Squad Leader comes from somone who listens, communicates and dictates.

I find all too often that squeakers just dont have the patience or communication skills to conduct themselves effective as a Squad Leader.

I like having fun.  In a game like Squad, that doesn't translate to winning every game.  It's more about whether each individual tactic works.  It's when people micro manage or grief that suck the joy out.

I haven't been playing recently due to the influx of new players brought on by the free weekend and consecutive sales. Really dealt a blow to the quality of the community.

I'll come back for alpha 9, but I won't be racking up hours every day like I had before v8. 600 hours btw

Edited to add: GreatDestroyer and his FFO ilk contribute in no small part to the low quality of the community

Edited by Gilead

Even with 500+ hours not everyone is cut out to lead. I myself have 600 but am not able to squad lead effectively. I get the tactics I'm just not a leader. I've also seen some decent SL's with only 30-50 hours play time. Haven't seen many with under 30 though.

I saw one of the dev's talk about how he was surprised the community hasn't made an unofficial 'command' squad on each server while they get an actual command role implemented. the dev's need to realize that people are either not confident enough or don't visit forums and social media enough to take it upon themselves to do so. I mean SL chat is already pretty bad when one squad makes a mistake but if you have the unofficial command role and make a mistake? I don't even want to know what SL coms would sound like.

On 12/25/2016 at 0:54 PM, PolishKruk said:

~snip~

I understand that you may feel that in general the veteran community has a tendency towards this mentality but please don't lump us all together. During the free weekend I specifically logged onto the free-weekend servers to show the guys the rope and be constructive, so much so that they actually asked me to be an SL for them instead so that I could help direct them constructively. I always approach these situations with an open mind and I have met many many others who are just the same. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone out of my way to help the newbies(and I don't use that term as an insult, just that they are inexperienced).

I have also met those like you speak of, but from my personal experiences they are just the vocal minority, but that is from my narrow perspective. Either way your mileage may vary and these folks are often the same ones who contribute less to the team than their veteran status would suggest.

suggest to SL to defend point. *no ones defending and getting backcapped*
i try defending without permission.*gets kicked off*
really :( sad. no other squads want to defend but when i try to defend i get kickoff right away.
poop gone