Sign in to follow this  
RipGroove

Anyone use a large (40"+) 4K monitor?

If so which one?

I'm getting really annoyed with the constant shimmering of jagged edges i get at 1080p so I need to switch to 4K. I use a large TV (43" Sony Bravia LED 1080p) as a monitor for several reasons so can't really go smaller than 40" if I can help it.

I have a similar spec to the video below so 'should' be able to handle 4K BUT for some reason from what I've seen my PC wouldn't deal with it. Even at 1080p with no in game AA my FPS can dip to 50 in a full server and if I turn AA on then it dips to 35-40 so I'm not entirely sure how the guy in the video is managing it. Only main difference is my 4790k vs his 6700k.

See how there are no shimmering jaggies at 4K:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run at 4k resolution on my 8350 OC to 5ghz and gtx 1080. I get around 25-30 fps with max settings on full servers during combat. The video is only in 30 fps, I'm not sure what FPS you're looking at on 4k. But the max you're going to get I think is in the ballpark of 40-50

I run at 4k resolution on my 8350 OC to 5ghz and gtx 1080. I get around 25-30 fps with max settings on full servers during combat. The video is only in 30 fps, I'm not sure what FPS you're looking at on 4k. But the max you're going to get I think is in the ballpark of 40-50

Yeah I think you're right. After a lot of reading I think I'm going to aim for 1440p 60+ fps with G-Sync for now. I'm possibly going to go for a 34" Ultrawide monitor and a 1080ti (when they are available).

Maybe my target of 4K 60fps on a large monitor will have to wait until the end of 2017 or even 2018 when hardware technology catches up with what the games are capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hold 71fps on all server maps (I just havn't seen drops since last release and I have MSI Afterburner display at all times etc), full players in 2K at 1.25 resolution scale.

I only play tournament settings (shadows medium, view distance high from memory) with all AA type stuff off and anything else on low, game looks and plays great.

This is on an i7 4790k at 4.8Ghz across 4 cores CPU, no HT with a MSI gaming 1070 GPU, 16GB RAM, SSD etc.

With the frame limiter off I tend to get 80-100fps dependant on map and action going on.

Gives you a reasonable bench to work from.

HT is better handled now but I turned it off again as it seemed less reliable, I could push my system more to say 1.5 resolution and still hold the same frames but I can't see a difference.

Edited by Shoshin