Winzler

Double repair stations

Currently having two repair stations down significantly increases (probably doubles) repair speed.

Some players have figured this out and begun using it. A BTR sitting on them takes an inordinate amount of coordination to take out, as it requires around 3-4 rocket hits in quick succession. In the time it takes to reload an RPG the vehicle can repair a significant enough amount.

Any vehicle falling back to repair at a double sees it's back-to-battle time halved. 

It doesn't seem intended behavior for the repair station, but I've searched and not found a dev weigh in on the topic. Is it intended behavior?

There should just be a delay in the start of the repair process, restarted every time the vehicle takes damage. The repair process should also be extended over a period of time. Vehicles shouldn't be able to tank so much damage just by sitting on a repair station, and if those two changes were implemented, it would go along way towards preventing vehicles from just sitting in one place and eating rockets up.

57 minutes ago, Highlander said:

There should just be a delay in the start of the repair process, restarted every time the vehicle takes damage. The repair process should also be extended over a period of time. Vehicles shouldn't be able to tank so much damage just by sitting on a repair station, and if those two changes were implemented, it would go along way towards preventing vehicles from just sitting in one place and eating rockets up.

I'm not sure if I got your point. A delay as in it takes e.g. 10 secs for the repairing to even start, thus preventing the unintended behaviour? The repair process is extended over a period of time, it doesn't occur instantly. Or were you meaning something else?

The delay before repairing starts is a good idea. I also think each fob should be limited to one repair station. Having a BTR/crow parked next to 3 repair stations making it almost impossible to kill is a way to "gamey" feature for Squad. 

Easy fix.. Just make the repairing cost build points (ya know, parts replacement etc), so let's say 2 build points per 1 vehicle health point, at a rate of 5 hp per second per repair station. A vehicle with 600hp damage would then cost 1200 build points to repair and take one minute to fully repair with two repair stations. Once BP reach zero, vehicle can't be repaired anymore.

maybe there could just be a mechanic preventing a vehicle from repairing, if it took damage within the last 1-2 minutes. would make a lot of sense to me, and would rarely be a problem if you're returning from a fight to repair at the FOB.

Edited by Shovely Joe

9 hours ago, Japub said:

I'm not sure if I got your point. A delay as in it takes e.g. 10 secs for the repairing to even start, thus preventing the unintended behaviour? The repair process is extended over a period of time, it doesn't occur instantly. Or were you meaning something else?

Yeah, the first one. It could be a 5 second delay, as long as the delay resets every time the vehicle takes damage.  The reason I suggest this instead of just limiting repair stations (which I think is a good idea also) is because a vehicle shouldn't be able to take any additional damage just by sitting on a repair station, regardless of if it takes an extra rocket because it is sitting on one repair station, or if it takes an additional three rockets because it is sitting on two repair stations.

Looking back at my comment, I could have been much clearer about what I meant.

10 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Easy fix.. Just make the repairing cost build points (ya know, parts replacement etc), so let's say 2 build points per 1 vehicle health point, at a rate of 5 hp per second per repair station. A vehicle with 600hp damage would then cost 1200 build points to repair and take one minute to fully repair with two repair stations. Once BP reach zero, vehicle can't be repaired anymore.

I likes. Even better (I dare say...) limit it to 1 repair station per fob

5 hours ago, Highlander said:

Yeah, the first one. It could be a 5 second delay, as long as the delay resets every time the vehicle takes damage.  The reason I suggest this instead of just limiting repair stations (which I think is a good idea also) is because a vehicle shouldn't be able to take any additional damage just by sitting on a repair station, regardless of if it takes an extra rocket because it is sitting on one repair station, or if it takes an additional three rockets because it is sitting on two repair stations.

Looking back at my comment, I could have been much clearer about what I meant.

Roger! Sounds good!

9 hours ago, Aniallator said:

You guys are overthinking this. Like @Major Trouble said, just limit it to one repair station per FOB. I don't know why you can put multiple in the first place, that's ridiculous.

That doesn't solve the fundamental problem, which is vehicles that are in the field with automated, unlimited health pools. Limiting the repair station to 1 at a time does mitigate the problem somewhat, but in an adventageous position, the vehicle can duck back to repair, come out at full health, take hits, duck back and repeat for as long as you can't insta kill it (with double/triple coordinated rockets). In PR the repair stations expire after some amount of time (90 seconds, maybe, can't remember) which means that new ones have to be manually dropped if you want to keep repairing, plus the repair station is extremely fragile so a single grenade or shooting it a little will destroy it. Since it is a deployable in squad, a different solution has to be taken, unless the devs decide to add a health pool to the deployables which I think would be pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

That doesn't solve the fundamental problem, which is vehicles that are in the field with automated, unlimited health pools. Limiting the repair station to 1 at a time does mitigate the problem somewhat, but in an adventageous position, the vehicle can duck back to repair, come out at full health, take hits, duck back and repeat for as long as you can't insta kill it (with double/triple coordinated rockets). In PR the repair stations expire after some amount of time (90 seconds, maybe, can't remember) which means that new ones have to be manually dropped if you want to keep repairing, plus the repair station is extremely fragile so a single grenade or shooting it a little will destroy it. Since it is a deployable in squad, a different solution has to be taken, unless the devs decide to add a health pool to the deployables which I think would be pretty cool. 

But I also believe you are looking at what is in Squad as a finished system. There's likely a long way to go on the logistics stuff, such as vehicle repairs and ammo consuming resources from the FOB at "balanced" rates, etc.

2 minutes ago, eggman said:

But I also believe you are looking at what is in Squad as a finished system. There's likely a long way to go on the logistics stuff, such as vehicle repairs and ammo consuming resources from the FOB at "balanced" rates, etc.

Not as a finished system, but a work in progress, which implies that it will grow and be refined from this point, but the fundamentals are down. The devs don't release detailed roadmaps of functions and features before they are implemented so everything aside from talking about what is already in the game or has been confirmed directly by devs is pure speculation. The repair stations are currently deployables, and I haven't seen an indication that it will change or that it is just a placeholder, so logically one can assume that deployable repair stations are a design decision that was made. 

Not saying things won't change drastically in the future, but none of us know what will change until the devs release the info, so if discussing/postulating based on the current foundation can be considered meaningless due the possibility that it could change someday in the future, it renders a great majority of discussion on these forums and reddit moot. :) 

2 hours ago, Psyrus said:

My solution of limiting FOBs to one repair station pertains to the issue of SLs being able to construct multiple repair stations and thus repair vehicles at a much faster rate. It does solve this, though of course it doesn't really deal with the more fundamental problem that you lined out, which is that vehicle repairs are unlimited in volume. Something like you suggested, like an "ammo" for vehicle repairs that decreases as vehicles are repaired would be nice, or maybe a repair stationdisappearing after X vehicles are repaired, etc.

Maybe give FOBs repair points like they have resources & ammo once it has a repair station. Over time the devs can fine tune their accumulation rate and cap to ballance the repair stations advantage. It would be different than just using resources as SLs may want to build up a FOBs defences only to have pesky armour using up their supplies. There is an added benefit of raising the importance of logistics squads boosting the need for teamwork.

I'd also like to see repair stations destroyable by a simple grenade, rpg or ugl round. Have them go up like the recently demoed IEDs and possibly destroy any nearby vehicle or at least do significant damage.

Find it funny it's only coming up now. Been planting at Russian base for ages, with the exclamation of players why you building at main. Lol,  amazing  people having been doing it more.

Probably pretty off-topic but it's related and I don't really want to make another thread to ask.

Has anyone seen sandbags (and possibly a local repair station) to hull-down a BTR? Seems like an obvious tactic that would protect it from the vast majority of AT threats (you'd need to get extremely lucky and hit the exposed turret multiple times. Getting close enough to aim over sandbags would put you too close for the fuse to arm itself)

We managed to do a pretty successful rush with a BTR on that eastern European map (will never learn the names), and it popped into my head. Don't think I've ever seen a BTR using sandbags as cover. In all honesty, I can only remember one instance of an enemy squad using sandbags to hull-down a technical.

I have used sandbags and other assets to make hull down positions on a lot of times. But i prefer to use the crow HMMWV. The BTR has horrible gun depression and often you need to move it to shot at different targets.

The actual simple fix here is to change it fromm a passive to an activated effect. The vehicle has to move into repair range, the driver must activate repairs(Through HUD menu), and while this takes place the vehicle can't do anything else.

All of this stuff should act this way.

28 minutes ago, Tartantyco said:

The actual simple fix here is to change it fromm a passive to an activated effect. The vehicle has to move into repair range, the driver must activate repairs(Through HUD menu), and while this takes place the vehicle can't do anything else.

All of this stuff should act this way.

Das a good idea mayn, not sure how long it would take for them to implement that into the game.

Another temporary fix could be making repair stations not spawnable within a certain distance of each other. Having just 1 per fob might be a little tight on certain maps.

FYI, repairing a vehicle DOES consume FOB construction points. The problem with that currently is that it's so ridiculously easy to resupply a FOB since you only have to get with 150 meters or whatever the radius is to supply it. In PR with the repair point being a drop by a Logi truck it required coordination between logistics and vehicle crews to keep assets in the field and in the fight. 

I do agree with the OP. I find multiple repair points being an unintended issue. Two repair stations will even over heal HMG fire which is just ridiculous.