JayJay6

Banned for joining a squad

I was recently banned a couple days ago on "Desmo's Playground" server. Reason was that I joined mid-game and the squad i was in wasn't really working well together. The squad leader (also an admin) got pissed off and told us "if you're not this guy, this guy, or this guy, get the **** out of my squad." After joining the game and hearing that off the bat, I got a little mad and questioned him why did I have to leave the squad if I literally just joined it. Words exchanged and I got banned. I believe it's a perma ban since I tried to join the server a couple days later and couldn't. Is there a way I can get unbanned? That was a server I liked. 

I have no idea if this has to do with you or not, but if you can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Edited by JayJay6

Can't help you but next time I'd recommend as soon as words start getting exchanged you disengage. One party might be right the other party might be wrong and vice versa but when things get heated nothing productive will come of it. Also just another idea, I'd recommend you remove the part about the admins name as it might come off as naming and shaming, its probably not your intention but it might be perceived by others differently.

Yeah nothing we can do. It's their own server, and unfortunately, they can ban you for whatever reason. It's their right, but it's still annoying. Got banned from a cool server for mowing the enemy team down with a BTR after they spawn camped us for a while. 

16 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

Yeah nothing we can do. It's their own server, and unfortunately, they can ban you for whatever reason. It's their right, but it's still annoying. Got banned from a cool server for mowing the enemy team down with a BTR after they spawn camped us for a while. 

If they're under OWI's server licence, they actually can't ban for what ever reason they can think of. There is guidelines and rules for servers under OWI's licence, that they have to follow. If they break the terms they agreed to, then their server licence can be revoked.

On 3/16/2016 at 3:01 AM, Merlin said:

Can a license be revoked? [ UPDATED 7 December 2016]

Yes. It can happen if the dev team becomes aware that a licensed server is doing something grossly contrary to one or more of our guidelines. This can include things like:

~ Abuse of in game administration powers.

~ Lack of administrative presence.

! For those who rent their hardware, moving your game server to poor hardware or hosting alongside too many other game servers. Our server health system is displayed for each server by color. As a licensed server it will be your responsibility to stay in good server health.

GREEN : Good Server Health
YELLOW: Average Server Health
RED: Poor Server Health

~ Promoting poor in game culture, contrary to Squad’s goals of teamwork and communication oriented gameplay.
~ Facilitating an environment which is hostile to new players.
~ Failing to use “vanilla” Squad rules and files.

~ Licensed servers that use game server providers must notify Offworld Industries when they switch providers. Switching from an approved licensed server provider to a non approved server provider is prohibited.
~ Intentional exploitation of game bugs, or trying to crash and/or cause harm to another server by you, as the server owner, or representatives of your community, could lead to your server license(s) being revoked.

Please note that once we have issued a license, we will work with the community involved before revoking a license unless there is a very serious violation of our guidelines. In the event that we consider revoking a license, the circumstances will be analyzed carefully and on a case-by-case basis, and the server owner will be notified via the email on their server license application.

Edited by Dubs

3 hours ago, JayJay6 said:

That was a server I liked. Oh and if you need the admin's name, I believe it was PolishKruk.

I have no idea if this has to do with you or not, but if you can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Looking into it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Dubs said:

If they're under OWI's server licence, they actually can't ban for what ever reason they can think of. There is guidelines and rules for servers under OWI's licence, that they have to follow. If they break the terms they agreed to, then their server licence can be revoked.

Had no idea. It was a small server on the training range, but it had good ping and I had some good fun. I was not aware they had to follow the rules under the OWI's license. I assumed that because they 'owned' the server, they could run it how they want. No big deal anyway, thanks for the information though!

12 minutes ago, Nikko B said:

Had no idea. It was a small server on the training range, but it had good ping and I had some good fun. I was not aware they had to follow the rules under the OWI's license. I assumed that because they 'owned' the server, they could run it how they want. No big deal anyway, thanks for the information though!

Well there's a difference between simply owning a server and having a licensed server. Non-licensed servers do not show up in SERVER BROWSER, for one.
For two, because of this - ie licensed servers having the privilige to show up in the server browser as opposed to the Customs tab - they have to be presentable, welcoming to newbies etc, because they are basically on the frontpage.
You can still run a server on the customs tab and do anything you want there, though.
edit: obviously not any thing

Edited by Peerun

Honestly, next time just go join another squad. I would suggest not to bother wasting your time arguing or asking the reasons why you can't be in the squad. From time to time, you will run into those people who take the game so seriously. I would just go join another squad that you can help win the game or join another server.

3 hours ago, Dubs said:

Except that is not the case. A guy (me) can get banned from a server for being affiliated with a clan admins do not like. I didnt personally do anything wrong to deserve a ban, except play to the best of my ability. Will the server license get revoked? Not a chance in hell. Server operators are helping squad grow, and OWI isnt going to knock a few off because there are some badmins.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

4 minutes ago, GreatDestroyerDT said:

Except that is not the case. A guy (me) can get banned from a server for being affiliated with a clan admins do not like. I didnt personally do anything wrong to deserve a ban, except play to the best of my ability. Will the server license get revoked? Not a chance in hell. Server operators are helping squad grow, and OWI isnt going to knock a few off because there are some badmins.

Well it would be stupid to revoke a license because of one incident. What should ideally happen is the "mistake" is corrected and the badmin revoked admin rights or atleast on probation.
I am curious how you tried to solve the problem, though. I imagine in no way?

9 minutes ago, Peerun said:

I am curious how you tried to solve the problem, though. I imagine in no way?

Through the servers website unban request system, have not heard back. A friend asked why I got banned (no reason was given) and was promptly banned as well.

Well it would be stupid to revoke a license because of one incident. What should ideally happen is the "mistake" is corrected and the badmin revoked admin rights or at least on probation.

It would be stupid indeed, also mistakes happen and I get that. As for corrected and pp slapped, I doubt that's going to happen.

Edited by GreatDestroyerDT

19 minutes ago, GreatDestroyerDT said:

We only know what we see and hear. We don't see the aftermath of what happens, If licences are revoked, or if stern warnings are handed out. All that stuff is at OWI's discretion.

That's why I said " then their server licence can be revoked" instead of will be. I imagine OWI does take repeat admin abuse on licenced servers seriously, as I have seen them take interest in other threads regarding wrong bans, or admins having power trips with their power.

Edited by Dubs

Alright, thanks for all the helpful replies. I edited the admins name so he doesn't get targeted or anything. I just put it in there just in case someone could've done something. 

Yeah from now on I'll just avoid stuff like that. I wasn't expecting a ban out of it. 

If you are not the OP, dev, moderator or server admin then please don't reply to this thread.

I'm not saying yay or nay to what happened here or saying what follows actually pertains to the OP.  It will be handled internally and routinely review bans.  I'm just saying this because I've kicked way too many people for being this kind of toxic, and occasionally throw a ban hammer if it is severe enough.  I don't want to do it but the other players deserve the ability to focus on playing the game.

If you don't like your squad leader, leave the squad, join or create another squad, or even leave  the server if you feel it's that bad.  Don't trash talk them or the server while in game.  Don't type it out in chat just so others can feel your "pain".  Don't join another squad and continue your anger.  That is what we call a toxic player.

It is not uncommon for a player to receive a 1 day, 7 day, 30 day or perma ban, depending on severity, for being Toxic to the community.

Keep in mind most admins aren't there to be admins, but to play the game.  Having to kick 30 people for being Idle/AFK/Unassigned, 15 for intentional TKs, and 5 for being toxic etc as well as ban at least 5 for being racist, returning to continue their infractions or are those who just want to watch the world burn is all the opposite of what they want to do with their free time and most don't have patience to make you a safe space.

31 minutes ago, Dankicity said:

If you are not the OP, dev, moderator or server admin then please don't reply to this thread.

I'm not saying yay or nay to what happened here or saying what follows actually pertains to the OP.  It will be handled internally and routinely review bans.  I'm just saying this because I've kicked way too many people for being this kind of toxic, and occasionally throw a ban hammer if it is severe enough.  I don't want to do it but the other players deserve the ability to focus on playing the game.

If you don't like your squad leader, leave the squad, join or create another squad, or even leave  the server if you feel it's that bad.  Don't trash talk them or the server while in game.  Don't type it out in chat just so others can feel your "pain".  Don't join another squad and continue your anger.  That is what we call a toxic player.

It is not uncommon for a player to receive a 1 day, 7 day, 30 day or perma ban, depending on severity, for being Toxic to the community.

Keep in mind most admins aren't there to be admins, but to play the game.  Having to kick 30 people for being Idle/AFK/Unassigned, 15 for intentional TKs, and 5 for being toxic etc as well as ban at least 5 for being racist, returning to continue their infractions or are those who just want to watch the world burn is all the opposite of what they want to do with their free time and most don't have patience to make you a safe space.

Bunch of non-sense, typical of short-tempered people who are handed a trifle of responsibility and can't deal with it in a cool, wise manner. Oh and paradoxical...you're no OP, Dev or concerned admin as far as your handle shows. Yet the first thing you do is curtailing the speech behind you.

It doesn't pertain to the OP alone, Admin abuse I've seen, felt and tasted is alive and well. From Clan mates, ghosting, to admins covering cheaters, to admins banning for many cuckoo reasons (including "being apologetic of terrorism" or simply having some misguided fun with the indicators at the beginning of the round, like marking the Russian un-capable spawns as FOB's). 

Admins are there to be admins first. This is has to be internal policy on who is on charge for x-shift or y-shift. If you are supposed to be admin but you like playing too much to be fair or good-mannered, just don't get involved in administration tasks. PERIOD.

If you have that much activity it means something is wrong and it requires your attention as an admin, you asked for that responsibility not the other players. And if that kind of activity is chronical on your server, then look no further you're not cut for that job.

The idea that leaving the squad/team/server is the solution is just hiding the issue under the rug. I believe that Squad is a mature community that doesn't deserve to hide behind petty primadonnas not getting their perfect squad. 

Toxic players become so because they sense prejudice and feel prejudice. It's no different from real life actually. You don't care for others, then they will care for you. 

For the patent offenders there's no need to worry they don't hide and they don't pretend, they just send everything to shit. It's the petty bans, the non-sensical defense behind what the OP just reported that are stingy. Admins are no different than other people when it comes to character, however they make decisions that re based on whims more often than one might think.

Demanding fair treatment isn't some bollocks tantrum, it's not being toxic. I've been kicked for taking the BTR while marking BTR squad on the squad handle and having al BTR people join and actually use the damn thing properly. Suddenly French Clan needs BTR for whatever reason and boom, 4 people disconnected, we reconnect, find the said clan riding on our BTR's and then threatening us with bans.

7 hours ago, KTMR29 said:

paradoxical(ly)

I was referring to said server from a moderator's point of view on said server. 99% of your points have never been done on said server.  Please edit your post to pertain to said server.  Thanks

I am also referring to his post and to personal experience. Nothing to do with your server, but your qualification as Toxic usually isn't on the player only. Also this is the Squad forum, not your server forum.

Mind your privilege.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DesmosPlayground/comments/5f28ea/server_rules_please_read/

Weird, looks like you broke a rule and got punished for it.

Also, bans CAN have time limits on them. For instance, I can ban someone for 1 day or even for 1 hour if I feel like they just need a timeout so they can cool off. Looks like your ban went from timed to permanent in a matter of the time it took you to post this shit on the squad forums. 

While I appreciate your desire to trash talk our server in front of the majority of the squad community, need I remind you that you made yourself look like a ****ing child and you should probably go get a fresh bottle of milk in your sippy cup. When you get done with that, grow up, relax, and play the ****in game. Just... not in our server. 

Thanks!

Well... If someone sharing their experience which paints the server or admins in a negative light results in a permanent ban, this is definitely a server I will avoid out of principle.

Reading through this thread and looking at those reddit posts, I can't see a particular rule that was broken.

Quite an enlightening thread. I was on the server's side until the admins started posting in this thread, now I'm inclined to believe what the op was saying

Changed your mind solely based off of some words said on the internet instead of making your own informed decision based on personal experience.

LMAO this just gets better and better.

33 minutes ago, Fire Truck said:

Changed your mind solely based off of some words said on the internet instead of making your own informed decision based on personal experience.

LMAO this just gets better and better.

Based on how you're acting on here, I'd avoid Desmo's server as well, despite Desmo being a cool and chill guy. You not only represent yourself, but you represent the server as well. You're being quite childish with how you're acting in this thread.

The OP of this thread wasn't rude, being insulting or childish. You on the other hand are displaying exactly that and I suggest you think hard about how you display yourself publicly as a server admin. Being toxic and negative can affect what people think about a server and it's administration team.

He was mostly responding to the other post. The one I was asking to be edited because it has nothing to do with said server, what so ever, but reads as if it doesCompletely unrelated because None of his points have ever been done by an admin on our server, outside those mentioned by us.  But I'm going to go out a limb here and guess you didn't read the other parts except those that triggered you and then found a single drive-by reference to validate it (keep that in mind).

Fire Truck might get a little defensive, but speak up if you have had to actually admin a FF on, unfiltered chat game server with local and command coms.  Those who just want to play a good game are always welcome, and there are a large majority who come back daily, but there are many new and some existing people who think the game operates like COD, BF etc -- "If the game lets me do it then I can do it and everyone else be damned".  Our players, admins and server are not there for a personal Ape-shit session and OWI intelligently gives a decently wide berth to handle situations as a licensed server.

Just to name a few that I've personally handed out, while keeping in mind a kick allows a person to return instantly while a ban is anything from an hour to perma:

There's the "I'm pro" players who just yell at every other squad leader in coms or chat (warn, kick or ban if repeated unless another rule is being broken).  The guy blaring or harassing over local constantly and won't quit (kick/ban).  The guy who joins with a blatantly racist name(instant! perma! ban!) or obscene name (kick) or straight up says such in coms or chat (ban/kick).  The guy who thinks its fun to drop a grenade while screaming a war cry in the middle of his team (30d-perma ban), shoot his old SL or whole squad because he was kicked him from the squad (kick or ban if witnessed by an admin or trusted regulars), blow up friendly vehicles in main (ban), sit next to enemy main and camp (warn/kick/ban), continually spout about hackers and bad admins because they can't think about anything except rushing to kill something (these guys usually rage quit on their own).  I could fill pages with reasons for things that truly surprise me daily.

Needless to say that it gets triggering because you expect more from people.  Having to admin this much does not reflect a systemic server specific issue, and I know you all would do the same thing, with the same or similar severity, if you were in our shoes.  Otherwise, you would see a steady pattern of your server being empty, constantly.

12 minutes ago, Dankicity said:

shoot his old SL or whole squad because he was kicked him from the squad

Totally haven't done this...

Of course not.

@JayJay6 the ban will be moot as we are looking into switching to a dedicated server for better performance. We won't be carrying over the ban list and I'm doing an admin scrub. Just want to provide a solid server where everyone can enjoy the game.