LegendaryTrev

Some Questions From Someone Thinking About Getting Squad In Alpha

1. In all of the videos I have seen of squad sniper gameplay, there is a semi-automatic rifle with an ACOG scope. Will there be a possibility for a true bolt-action rifle with a real sniper scope?

2. Will alpha testers get something to show that they are an alpha tester (A patch on a uniform or something of the sorts)? (Not necessary, but cool).

3. Are most of the servers 50v50? I've been told lots are 35v35.

4. Does squad plan on adding helicopters and CAS in the future (By full release)?

5. How many maps does squad currently have?

6. Are people friendly to new people? For example, could I play alone, join a squad and have people be welcoming and helpful to me?

7. How do kits work? For instance, in project reality there is a sidebar when joining a squad to select a kit, but also a supply crate that allows you to get kits.

Please answer as many as possible if you are thinking about replying. Thanks.

Edited by LegendaryTrev

1. Dunno

2. Dunno

3. Capable servers are capped at 40v40, with the majority being 35v35.

4. Not sure, but I believe so. (Also artillery)

5. Like 8?

6. Generally, yes. Only met a few jerks, and none really from my squad.

7. Never played PR, but when you join a squad, you simply pick a class you wish to play. (Provided that class doesn't have the max number of players already) This can be SL, medic, rifleman, rifleman with optics, LMGs, LATs, grenadiers, and marksmen. Not to mention the sapper from the insurgents. You can change classes while in-game using ammo crates, which can be built.

35 minutes ago, LegendaryTrev said:

1. In all of the videos I have seen of squad sniper gameplay, there is a semi-automatic rifle with an ACOG scope. Will there be a possibility for a true bolt-action rifle with a real sniper scope?

There are no snipers in the game as they don't promote proper teamwork and i doubt we'll see them. In Squad there's a designated marksman role with a bigger magnification than the rest of the roles. DMR's role is to support your squad with a long ranged fire. Bolt-Action rifles are planned but there won't be real (PiP) scopes due to the huge performance cost.

Will alpha testers get something to show that they are an alpha tester (A patch on a uniform or something of the sorts)? (Not necessary, but cool)

Nope, only people who backed thegame before it got released on Steam got access to Founder patches which are located on the soldier's right arm.

Are most of the servers 50v50? I've been told lots are 35v35.

Recent update brought the possibility of having 40vs40 people on a server. Before that we had 36/36. Once the devs optimise the game, we'll have 50vs50p

Does squad plan on adding helicopters and CAS in the future (By full release)?

Helicopters yes (including the fastropes), CAS probably not (could be AI controlled though but after 1.0 release)

How many maps does squad currently have?

Currently there are 9 maps + 1 which is a training range. More maps are planned as well as the expansion of some of the existing ones.

Are people friendly to new people? For example, could I play alone, join a squad and have people be welcoming and helpful to me?

Ofcourse. Just don't be shy to tell your SL that you're new. The community is very friendly and helpful to the beginners. (seen alot of instances of that during the free weekend)

How do kits work? For instance, in project reality there is a sidebar when joining a squad to select a kit, but also a supply crate that allows you to get kits

It is similar to the one from PR, but better imho. There is an ammo box for changing kits and resupplying that an SL can place in the fob range

Edited by mastah4

I prefer to join 25v25 servers because I get amazing fps. 

The game is worth a try. The community is very welcoming and friendly to people who are new. 

1) I believe snipers are confirmed, but one of the lowest priorities (as they do not promote teamwork, as previously said).

2) No idea, Kickstarter backers have stuff that show they backed the game in an early stage (both on the forums and in-game), but no word on if something similare would happen to people that join in the 'standard' alpha phase.

3) 50v50 is the goal for the full release. In the current stage of the game 40v40 are the most players a server can handle. Obviously more optimisation is on the way. But at the moment no 50v50, 40v40 is the max.

4) I believe it is eventually planned, but a long way down the road

5) around 9 i believe, enough to keep us excited in alpha stage

6) Never met a community as this one. Most people want Squad to succeed, and therefore try to help new players as much as they can.

7) You can select kits as in PR. You cannot pick up kits in-game as in PR

2) I'm pretty sure stuff like that was given to Pre-Alpha players who backed from kickstarter, but maybe there'll be something- not like it really changes anything.

I've tried other games, Squad is better. Just buy it.

You may quote me.

On 12/17/2016 at 2:05 PM, LegendaryTrev said:

Bolt-action sniper rifles are quite literally at the bottom of the priority list. If they're implemented, it won't be for quite some time. If you play PR, then you should know that sniper kits would probably just get picked up by some mic-less lone wolfer at round start and never seen again.

2. Will alpha testers get something to show that they are an alpha tester (A patch on a uniform or something of the sorts)? (Not necessary, but cool).

Doubtful. Close alpha testers already have patches, I don't see anyone else getting any.

3. Are most of the servers 50v50? I've been told lots are 35v35.

50v50 is the goal, until recently the cap was 36v36. The last update brought that up to 40v40. 50v50 will come eventually.

4. Does squad plan on adding helicopters and CAS in the future (By full release)?

Yes and yes, eventually we'll see transport helos (which we'll be able to fastrope from), scout helos, and attack heloes. Fixed-wing aircraft are an unknown.

5. How many maps does squad currently have?

4 Eastern Europoean-style maps, 5 Middle Eastern-style maps, and 1 training firing range map.

6. Are people friendly to new people? For example, could I play alone, join a squad and have people be welcoming and helpful to me?

The Squad community is very friendly (especially in the right squad, always try to join squads named "MIC TEAMWORK" or similar). Just make sure you don't grab a marksman kit and run off by yourself ;)

7. How do kits work? For instance, in project reality there is a sidebar when joining a squad to select a kit, but also a supply crate that allows you to get kits.

You can spawn with a kit, or you can get a kit from a resupply point (they are at main base, and can be built on FOBs). You cannot pick up kits like in PR. Without joining a squad, you can only play as rifleman. Upon joining a squad, you'll have a number of kits to choose from. Kits are divided into three groups: Command and Support (SL, medic); Riflemen (rifleman, scout, raider); and Fire Support (LAT, AR, grenadier, marksman). Some kits are unlimited (like rifleman), others aren't. For Command and Support, only the SL can take the SL kit, and a squad can have (and should have) up to two medics. For Riflemen, there are several variants of the rifleman kit as well as the scout and raider kits. Different variants of the rifleman kit have different primary weapons, and some are unlimited, some aren't. For example on the Insurgent faction the rifleman w/ AKM is unlimited, but the rifleman w/ G3A3 is limited to two per squad. Both scout (only available to Insurgents/Militia) and raider (only available to Insurgents) kits are limited to one per squad. For Fire Support, a squad can have only up to three Fire Support kits in use at any one time. There are two LAT kits, two AR kits, one grenadier kit, and one marksman kit. Some factions have different variants of the AR kit (Militia has AR w/ RPK-74 or AR w/ M249, Insurgents have AR w/ RPK-74 or AR w/ RPK). Some Fire Support kits are limited not only on a squad basis, but a team basis. For example a squad can have one marksman kit, but only three marksman kits are available across the entire team. There other limit is on LATs, I forget exactly what it is.

It's also worth noting that some kits aren't available until the squad has at least X people. Some of these kits are... the Militia AR w/ M249, the Insurgent AR w/ RPK, the the Insurgent/Militia rifleman w/ AK-74, the Insurgent rifleman w/ G3A3, the Insurgent/Militia scout, the Insurgent raider, etc. This is to ensure that only squads that are full or close to full can use more specialized kits. Some limited kits are also more limited until the squad has X many people. For example, if the squad only has four people only one medic kit is available.

It's a lot to take in and it may sound confusing, but really it's dead easy to get the hang of.

Edited by Aniallator