carmikaze

[For newbies] Release Dates below header

I like the idea.  There can be set dates for which the releases are already planned out, and for anything that doesn't have a concrete date, can post for example "Beta Around Q1 2016", and so on for the other posts.  Can make them much later, and re-align as dates get closer, there will occasionally be a post asking for dates sure, but it will drop from 15 per week, to maybe 1 - 3 per week.  I think OP's idea is fantastic, right at the top, and about 95% of the people who would otherwise post regarding dates, would see it and know not to post about it; leaving maybe 5% which might still post.

No planned out dates, nor "Beta around...20xx" like its stated before if what OP is talking about may be implemented would be a sign saying "No realease dates" until they are ready to actually realease, devs already stated they dont want to raise hopes up on a "estimated date"

So, I didn't read this thread at all, but when is it coming out?

Just kidding. It's not a horrible idea. Might come to nothing, might help a few or none at all, but it could be a feature.

Slightly off-topic, but when they do release it, it might be nice to see a side-bar stating the current build version, since I'm sure that it will go through several iterations in the initial phases.

I dont know if i like or hate it. 

Its an very goad idea t show the Release dates, so noone need to aks for it in the forums and everyone know it but its a little bit to big and this is disturbing a bit when i use the forum. 

You still don't get the point of this thread? If this thread would actually thematize the topic you think it does, it should have been closed, yes. But you obviously don't understand that I'm not asking for release dates.

I know you're not asking for release dates.

But what's the point in putting in the work to add more stuff to the forum when most of it's just going to say "TBD?" People will still want to know, and will ask. It'd be pointless.

There's already a FAQ link at the top of the page. If anything, i'd say update the FAQ page where it talks about "when will I be able to play Squad?" as well as make a link somewhere to a ROADMAP thread, made by a dev or moderator, sticky it and lock it, and update it regularly. Even if its with semi-vague info, that seems like it'd be a lot easier route to achieve what you're looking for than adding a whole new piece to the forum itself.

And, is it out of the realm of possibility to have moderators regularly re-direct these kinds of FNG (frickin new guy) threads to a stickied, locked, regularly updated thread?

I know you're not asking for release dates.

But what's the point in putting in the work to add more stuff to the forum when most of it's just going to say "TBD?" People will still want to know, and will ask. It'd be pointless.

There's already a FAQ link at the top of the page. If anything, i'd say update the FAQ page where it talks about "when will I be able to play Squad?" as well as make a link somewhere to a ROADMAP thread, made by a dev or moderator, sticky it and lock it, and update it regularly. Even if its with semi-vague info, that seems like it'd be a lot easier route to achieve what you're looking for than adding a whole new piece to the forum itself.

And, is it out of the realm of possibility to have moderators regularly re-direct these kinds of FNG (frickin new guy) threads to a stickied, locked, regularly updated thread?

So now you agree with me and are appropriating what I said.

Anyone with half a brain would either use the search function on these forums or will attempt to at least watch a video or two where all this information is already available. It's not about making it easy, it's about others actually meeting everyone else halfway.

Anyone that hasn't got at least half a brain will proceed to live in ignorance and create the same forum topic over and over and over again... lack of initiative is the most irritating thing ever. Sorry, not sorry.

Why would they go through an entire video when it should just be a sticky.

So now you agree with me and are appropriating what I said.

um, you... haven't posted a single time in this thread until now. how was i supposed to know you said the same thing?

um, you... haven't posted a single time in this thread until now. how was i supposed to know you said the same thing?

I'm talking about the one that was locked.

I'm talking about the one that was locked.

my memory fails me.

if i at any point disagreed with the idea that you claim i'm "appropriating," then by all means, i apologize, and rescind my disagreement and in its place, put forth agreement.

my memory fails me.

if i at any point disagreed with the idea that you claim i'm "appropriating," then by all means, i apologize, and rescind my disagreement and in its place, put forth agreement.

Did this just happen? An american dude did the canadian thing to a canadian guy? :D

That's cool then. No hard feelings, it's just back then, people were so pissed over another thread asking for the dates and I said just post rough dates, and it'd be best if it was from a dev. Then there'd be way fewer headless chickens.

Did this just happen? An american dude did the canadian thing to a canadian guy? :D

nEWlBH9.png

nEWlBH9.png

Haha on thing canadians can do aswell as germans i gues... drinking beer :D

EDT: I dont want to say that germans are better people then canadians or any other people in any way... except in making and drinking beer :P

Haha on thing canadians can do aswell as germans i gues... drinking beer :D

EDT: I dont want to say that germans are better people then canadians or any other people in any way... except in making and drinking beer :P

guess you'll just have to buy me a bunch of canadian and german beer and let me figure this one out.

and we're sorry if we beat you at drinking. I hate that this is what we're known for. saying sorry. sorry

and we're sorry if we beat you at drinking.

honestly not much a drinker myself ;)

honestly not much a drinker myself ;)

I meant the German guy, but you posted while I was typing. Either way, what I said was a terrible attempt at a joke if you can call it that. lol

guess you'll just have to buy me a bunch of canadian and german beer and let me figure this one out.

Sure, if you visit me in germany i will! :D

To bring this topic back on track...

Great idea, carmikaze, although it does not need so much work as having a new header in the forum however. It would be enough if the current schedule would be updated in the official FAQ regularly (as M81ERDL has pointed out here).

Another good argument by koschilein here. But it would not only prevent 50% of the reoccurring threads, it would also make answering the remaining 50% much easier and less frustrating. We would just point to the FAQ and job done.

Also a good argument by Meat Shield here. This is not just about the release dates but other reoccurring threads/questions.

However, I don't agree with Assifuah's post here. Yes, impatience is one part of it and laziness too. But it is also true that information gets lost in forums (or on YouTube). Yes, there is a search function in the forum, but please search for "release dates" or "pre-alpha" right now and tell me in less than 5min which thread contains the final, complete and latest answer to this question (please assume you are completely new to the community and you haven't read all the posts nor watched all the videos on YouTube). You'll be looking and looking, reading a lot of crap, find some statements from the devs but not find THE "update-to-date" and "final/definite" answer to your question. You will get tired and then post the question in a new thread if you are really interested in the question. Yes, some guys don't even bother searching, but to some extend I understand them - searching a forum with a too generic search term is almost pointless.

I understand M81ERDL's point here, but don't agree with it (although I agree with MANY of his later (and other) posts). For me it's about "good communication" (and "communication" is even in the tag line for the game itself, right? :) - of course now I am talking about communication between devs and us). If the information is "we cannot commit to a date yet, so we don't give a date", then that is important information I need to know and I need to have been told in clear terms. It would also help if it was explained why (I certainly know why, I am in software development and project management, but I would like to hear it from the devs themselves). It just natural to then ask "When do you think it might come out? Just roughly?". An answer like "Around end of July maybe, but please don't pin us down on it" would also be a sufficient and good answer (my counter argument to Assifuah's post here and it goes along the line of argument from Sokol here). Again, it would also help to know what's happening at the momemt and what might prevent the release. The estimate of the release date could be updated once a clearer target is set. And yes, targets change, and that's ok too. It just needs to be communicationed; the sooner and clearer and opener, the better. You can also tell us by when you will give the next update on the dates/estimates - then I will shut up until that date. Hey, I would even mark it on my calendar and look forward to it. This is gooooooood communication. If I know what's happening and why, I am happy - and patient. That's human nature. That would be much much better than saying "no, not telling, please wait till we tell you". Yes, if estimated dates would be communicated, some people would take them too seriously and complain if a single date is not kept, but I rather deal with those few idiots than not having the most update-to-date and most comprehensive information.

Yes, I agree with Irontaxi here that speculation does not help and should be stopped. But it would stop (or at least be reduced and limited to the idiots) if you provide good-enough and up-to-date information. For that It would help if we had information in one central place with complete, clear, comprehensive, official and up-to-date facts. Right, the FAQ would be exactly the place for that. Unfortunately, it hasn't had a major update in months (from the looks of it) and it does not sufficiently answer all the reoccurring questions. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with communication with Offworld. They regularly and promptly replied on Kickstarter and in the forum and to my PM. And I totally agree that the devs need to focus on more pressing topics right now than Project Planning. But I would really want to see 1) a little more open communication and 2) update-to-date official information. The product is important, but communication also (good communication = value the people / us). Put in in one place, then we don't need to search for it. If Offworld doesn't have the time to do this itself, give a trusted community member access to the FAQ, so he/she can updated it with the most buring questions. If for technical reasons this access to the FAQ for an oursider is not easily done or too risky, let us open a sticky "moderators only" official FAQ thread (or even better: a thread that is seen in all forum sections at the top). You can then link to this thread from the FAQ or even replace the outdated FAQ page entirely with this thread (i.e. link directly to it from the main navigation menu). Or let us have a wiki (see my thread here - although this could turn into a war zone easily :) ).

Update 13.07.2015: Small text changes.

Update 14.07.2015: Re-reading my own post a day later, it gives me the impression I might have sounded complaining about poor communication from Offworld. Hence, let me rephrase my request to one simple statement: please update the FAQ - it is an important communication channel to a lot of people who are not (yet) part of the community and the forum. Otherwise, I am happy (in most areas) with the communication. In fact, the monthly recaps and the regular Kickstarter updates were fantastic. I was just watching a Squad stream on Twitch with LostAiming and saw Irontaxi openly answering questions in the chat. Awesome!

However, I don't agree with Assifuah's post here. Yes, impatience is one part of it and laziness too. But it is also true that information gets lost in forums (or on YouTube). Yes, there is a search function in the forum, but please search for "release dates" or "pre-alpha" right now and tell me in less than 5min which thread contains the final, complete and latest answer to this question (please assume you are completely new to the community and you haven't read all the posts nor watched all the videos on YouTube). You'll be looking and looking, reading a lot of crap, find some statements from the devs but not find THE "update-to-date" and "final/definite" answer to your question. You will get tired and then post the question in a new thread if you are really interested in the question. Yes, some guys don't even bother searching, but to some extend I understand them - searching a forum with a too generic search term is almost pointless.

If I was completely new to the community and haven't read all the posts nor watched all the videos on YouTube:

I searched for "release date". First few threads were highlighting posts that all said something along the lines of "there is no set release date" and how the topic has been discussed several times over. Now, I'm not sure what type of person you think I am, but I'm taking those quick searches (took me less than a minute) as answers that there's no set dates. They're recent posts, on the specific topic at hand. Minus Star Wars..but anyone can clearly see that's not about Squad.

Of course, I know the terminology used within game development and I know what I'm looking for so it's easy for me to do it... but searching for something simple as release date.. yeah, easy answer found straight away. Looking and reading a lot of pointless crap?? I skimmed the text and the search function highlights what I searched for as well. Hardly have to read the threads to get the answer to what I'm looking for because it's highlighted. There's one reason I haven't started threads. You know what that is? Anything I thought was thread worthy already had a thread for it and I found it because I used the search function....smh.

However, if you're looking for the info to be confirmed or posted by an actual developer.. I can't say anything for that. You either find it or you don't, it sure is out there though since I've seen it but if I was new I wouldn't have a clue. That's beyond the context of which I was talking in and I can't do anything about my posts being misunderstood.

Information can get buried making it harder to find, but it's not lost unless it's deleted.

But on a more positive note that I can agree with, the FAQ could sure house this kind of updated information.

But on a more positive note that I can agree with, the FAQ could sure house this kind of updated information.

So you're basically arguing that a timeline under the header would be useless because it wouldn't be seen even though it's the first thing they should see when entering the forums, but on the other hand you're saying that very important information like release dates should be placed in a FAQ, buried inside the forums, and that this would be easier to be recognized?

A FAQ would be completely useless if people don't know that the information they need can be found in the FAQ. You know, we're used to forums, we visit them everyday, we know this, but there are people who simply don't, and who would never find out for themselves where to find which information.

Even if you have a release date people would still post asking as some people just have to be spoon fed information. The fact the developers don't know the release date makes it tough to give out, sure they have a date they are aiming at but when they miss it...backlash!

So you're basically arguing that a timeline under the header would be useless because it wouldn't be seen even though it's the first thing they should see when entering the forums, but on the other hand you're saying that very important information like release dates should be placed in a FAQ, buried inside the forums, and that this would be easier to be recognized?

A FAQ would be completely useless if people don't know that the information they need can be found in the FAQ. You know, we're used to forums, we visit them everyday, we know this, but there are people who simply don't, and who would never find out for themselves where to find which information.

What are you talking about? Prime example of twisting words. Point out where I said "very important information like release dates should be placed in an FAQ"? I was referring to the FAQ in general and the updated information from across the board.. the FAQ is still in a pre-Kickstarter state.

Quote I was referring to:

For that It would help if we had information in one central place with complete, clear, comprehensive, official and up-to-date facts. Right, the FAQ would be exactly the place for that. Unfortunately, it hasn't had a major update in months (from the looks of it) and it does not sufficiently answer all the reoccurring questions.

By the way, this is the main website: http://joinsquad.com/

It doesn't matter if I look at and know how to use forums, the first thing I did when I found out about Squad before rushing to the forums is explore the main site which, at that point, I wasn't even aware had forums. I went straight to the FAQ. So saying "A FAQ would be completely useless if people don't know that the information they need can be found in the FAQ" doesn't make sense. If I want to know anything I would first and foremost go to the FAQ to see if it's there.

How would people know the information they're looking for isn't in the FAQ without looking at it first? Lol?????

Even if you have a release date people would still post asking as some people just have to be spoon fed information. ...

Yes, some will. However, less will ask if that information is easily accessible. And even if they ask, it is much easier to answer their questions if there simply is one right place to point them to (e.g. FAQ).

... The fact the developers don't know the release date makes it tough to give out, sure they have a date they are aiming at but when they miss it...backlash!

I agree, this is a tricky one. In my opinion, if you communicate changes to the schedule as soon as you know about it, disappointments can be managed well. Some idiots/trolls will still complain nevertheless, this is something we have to live with, right? To me this seems the smaller evil. It's better to have up-to-date and detailed information, even if it might change. At least, I would prefer it this way.