Sign in to follow this  
PaperbackWriter

Treat medics better, they're there to help

My complaint here does not apply to most players in Squad, but there are enough of you who are abusing medics that it merits a mention. 

First, for those who don't know, medics who actually try to do their job have one of the hardest roles in the game.  We often go into danger others avoid, have to quickly sort out a tactical approach, throw smoke just right, kill enemies near a casualty and then take the time to bandage and heal at the risk of getting shot.  All of  this takes discipline, commitment and, most importantly, time. A good medic can and does save a position by keeping you guys in the fight.  It's not just about picking up after the fight is over.  More often, it's about sorting order from chaos while under fire.

Often, there are multiple casualties on the field.  Just because *you* are not getting healed right away does not mean medics aren't doing their very best to help the squad.  There is a reason it generally takes a long time to bleed out - it's to give us time to get to you.  Saying things like, "F***ing medics aren't doing their job" in squad chat is not the way to get help.  I was running all over the place picking up casualties in a very tough firefight last night and got this particular treatment.  Somebody felt the need to complain and cuss and complain some more.  And then keep complaining when told to shut it.  ragequit #1.

Just because we're moving in a way you don't understand doesn't mean we're not doing our job.  After another firefight, there was a casualty in the field about 50 meters to the front of our position.  I grabbed some cover, threw smoke and waited.  On approach, I encountered an enemy, took him out and then hopped over a wall to take care of my casualty.  As I'm healing the guy, I get two things in squad chat:

1.  "Medic, don't get in front of our position, stay back with us."

2 "Yeah, you f***ing idiot, your job is to heal us, not fight the enemy solo."

ragequit #2.

Yeah, I know there are those who take the medic kit and play scout or sniper or whatever instead of medic.  But, in general, medics are trying to help you.  It's not easy and it takes time and daring to do it effectively. 

So, the next time you feel like bitching out the medic, just hold your tongue and assume that maybe, just maybe, they're doing the best they can. 

And yeah, we really do appreciate it when you say thanks.  We get killed a lot and don't have much chance to fight except under very difficult conditions.

I will also add: anybody who is taking medic just so they can heal themselves, take a different kit.  If you are the first priority on your list, you should not be a medic.

Final note: Every time I've received corrective instructions from an SL, it's been done professionally and with the interests of the squad in mind.  That's not what I'm complaining about here.  SLs have the hardest job of all and generally treat medics with courtesy and respect.  If the SL isn't correcting the medic, you probably don't need to either.

I never been cussed out at as a medic...But i got a list of petpeeves as medic aswel. 
Despite the fact that i like playing the class and that i know how to play it wel, i still have to deal with people that give up even tho' i said i'm coming or when i applied a patch and hear them give up. 

I feel that the medic is depreciated and not valued enough. I mean, why wait for one to pick you up if you got 500 tickets right ?.
It's not about that but like the OP stated, if a medic get's the chance to get everyone back up....it can make the difference of holding a position and that's what it's all about at the end of the day. 

Territory does matter, but tickets always have the upperhand in games and will determine who wins or lose. 

agree! the medic is not an easy role and still as you just said i see people waiting around 10 sec then give up and blame the lazy medic, still proud to main this role but it is not easy

I was in a compound with three other FULL SQUADS... We got overrun for the most part, except for me (medic) and two or three other guys. So there's about 16 guys all bleeding out everywhere, and about 5 of them are cursing and shouting to get picked up. Needless to say the rest of us were killed as well. 

Makes me want to bandage a guy, and then execute him with a bullet to the head.

I enjoy medic, it gives me a solid role and I can generally avoid combat with my low fps. The trade off is everyone gives up all the time until we're down to our last 100-200 tickets and it's obscenely frustrating. All kinds of people losing their minds instead of just waiting  because for some reason their ticket isn't worth a couple minutes. You only get so many, and those tickets determine who wins or loses. SO STOP THROWING THEM AWAY.

Cheers to that guys, if I can add my 2 cents worth.

when a medic is trying to tell other squad members where the attack is coming from, it's probably A REALLY GOOD IDEA TO 

LISTEN TO THEM. I'm sure other medics do it to, but I try and watch my map screen as much as possible.

it shows us which squaddies are down and whom is under fire. It is not a guess, it is a fact as we can see who is dead and the general direction.

Dont abuse us be cause we don't have a set of binocs or optics.

Ive been part of a games that were won because of the 2 medics and the way they did there job, we both had no kills, but we both were ranked higher than anyone else in the squad.

As for the abuse about medics not doing there job and healing other squad members, yeah it was probably me that stepped over your near dead bleeding out body to get the other guy who wasn't abusive.

I think this fits into a more general rule in Squad (and probably in any situation where you need to cooperate with other human beings) that yelling, getting angry, and spurting out insults is usually counterproductive.

Even if the medic in your Squad is playing like an idiot, acting like an asshole isn't going to help. I think I've been pretty lucky, since the worst behavior I've encountered as medic is squadmates impatiently spamming their mikes to call for a revive.

Anyways, I dislike playing as Medic, but have done so for the last 6 or 7 rounds. I consider it my service to the community, since I'm useless as a Squad leader :P

Good post OP.

Good SL's tend to protect their medics from shouting imbeciles, at least in my experience so far, although I tend to play with the same SL most of the time. It's a tough job and often thankless even though the class is super important to winning a battle. Communication, or effective communication is key for injured squadmates. Downed individuals should be aware of total tickets (In case it's crucial) squad spawns remaining for obvious reasons, andpeople should actually communicate with medics. Ask them if they can get to them or tell them that you're going to respawn or wait. Of course, a lot of medics do a lot of this for downed players, communicating that they should hold on etc. In any circumstances people should be patient and appreciate that others maybe trying to juggle a dozen things at once.

I always tell the other members to patch each other as it makes the medics life easier and you get guns back into the fight quicker. People shouldn't be precious with their bandages as what goes round comes around. If they are worried of being without a bandage when bleeding then they have probably strayed too far from the squad!

Also, I think the score screen at the end should have a symbol next to the medics to show that their K/D doesn't represent someone that gives up/had a bad game...as a medics K/D is usually  higher on the deaths than on kills.

Respect the medics as they can win the game for you.

Every now and then I love to pick up and use the medic kit. I love to play as the role and help others , and I get what your feeling. I also agree with gecko Medics should have a number of heal points/players picked up next to their name it would show how much they help there squad and earn more respect. When I leave a game and see guys go 30-5 and I'm going 10-15 after using the medic kit it kinda makes my self esteem go down.

Also please bandage yourselves when waiting to get healed, we need ours for the unconscious. :P

Edited by Foist

I have one pet peeve with medics that needs to be addressed. Medics if you're the only medic in a squad don't be the BTR driver, only be the BTR driver if you're squaddie tells you to.

On the other side of the fence as a medic please please please tell us if you're hot, that way we can drop smoke, wait 20 and revive.

On 17-12-2016 at 4:59 AM, sturdypencil said:

Every now and then I love to pick up and use the medic kit. I love to play as the role and help others , and I get what your feeling. I also agree with gecko Medics should have a number of heal points/players picked up next to their name it would show how much they help there squad and earn more respect. When I leave a game and see guys go 30-5 and I'm going 10-15 after using the medic kit it kinda makes my self esteem go down.

I like that idea, atleast it will prove we're not totally useless and that we are doing SOMEthing :P 

The problem lays somewhere else of course. They have not (yet) the necessary empathy, nor tactical awareness. 

First off, I think of every medic: "He know's what he is doing, I give him the time and won't bother to call for him."
Rarely I see medics not meeting up with their designated role. There is really no rush to bother to complain about medics not doing their stuff, there is more bother to complain about players being a bit too impatient. 

Stage 1:
What I mean is, when I choose the medic role, I try to use my sensual perceptions of what is going on around me. I noticed guys are a bit ahead engaging enemies... shots go off, some firefight unleashes - that's about the latest when I open the map prolly every 20-30 seconds to check for wounded. 

Stage 2:
Guys are wounded, I will asses the situation. About how many enemies are there?  Which route will I take to get to them? Do I need the smoke screen? Can I count on other team members to cover? I will of course not spam that over the radio, rather letting a brief note: "Hang on, still hot" or something. Most people also understand, that is good. 

Stage 3: 
Go to the wounded, lay down and start treating him. I then try to let him know where contacts might be, just that he is prepared in case there would be danger close. Also, tell them that they should immediately pull back to a compound or so, where there is more cover to patch them fully up (which is also a good thing if there are two medics. One can stay back, be the sort of casevac, while the other medic gets the guys up and sends them to wherever the other medic is waiting).

Stage 4:
Well done. Patched someone up, ticket saved. 

Stage 5:
Well done: I survived myself, ticket saved.

So for everyone who gets shot down: The enemy who shot you, by high chances, is still roaming/scouting that specific area and medics have no godmode. So open your map and look at it. Now have a look where the next few medics are, check for their names and observe the coms. Most of the time you will already get a good understanding of how long it may take until you get reached by a medic without even having to type/speak from your unconscious state. Give them also a few seconds to realize that there are wounded. If there are more people down next to you, well, wait it out and give them medics the chance. 

That's what I think about this. 

mate, i play medic a lot, and in reality medic stays in the middle.

medic job is to heal and revived teamates and it is mandatory.

remember medic is the heart of the squad

squad lead is the brain

infantryman are the body.

without a heart they wouldn't live long enough.

Edited by tweak by one

Agree with what has been said here. I've played medic probably more than 50% of my time in Squad and whilst you do get the odd abuse from time to time, 90% of the time people are respectful which is good to hear. 

There is one issue that I have with other medics, especially new ones and I don't mean to put you down for doing it but more guide you on it's use, and that is smoke! It's something that I see other medics using a lot and usually, 9 times out of 10, it's not used correctly or even needed. My main issue with others using smoke is they tend to throw it at the body of the fallen soldiers, rather than at the enemy, and that is a great way of saying "We're over here, this is where the firefight is!" to any other squads nearby. I've had it a couple of times where the firefight has died down to just the odd shot going off or going completely silent, smoke then gets thrown out anyway, alerting a nearby enemy squad of our exact location, for us then to get into a second firefight when still trying to pick up falling soldiers or moving away from the area. 

The best thing I've found is to not use smoke and wait for things to die down a bit and try to get up who you can, when you can. Even if that means waiting 30 seconds or so for things to go a little quieter, and crawling around to pick people up. The fewer enemies that know of your location, the better and easier it is for you to bring people up. You may need to make a mad dash, or doing fix someone up whilst under heavy contact, but I'd rather have 1 or 2 enemies knowing where I roughly am, than another squad too. 

The only time I do ever use smoke to revive a fallen team mate is often when the enemy are held up in a compound, or somewhere where their maneuverability is going to be limited/restricted in some way when the smoke blocks their view, and I know I can't get to them under the volume of fire they're putting out. Then I'll obviously throw smoke in their direction, between the fallen soldier and them, and sometimes my route too if it's in the open, to mask their line of sight.

One last thing I just thought of as well for any new medics, think about your priority list of who to get up first. Obviously other medics and the SQL should be number 1, but there might be times where it is better to get another soldier up first to help use as security, especially when they're relatively safe to revive. Seen it a few times where everyone has gone down but a single medic, and that single medic has gone for the other medic when there might still be an enemy around and then get picked off forcing a whole squad respawn. Unless you know 100% you can get them up safely, pick up another soldier who is safe to revive first, go with them in first and get them to watch your back whilst picking up that second medic and SQL. It may just save yours and the squads life:)

Medics are a support class, your squad is right in telling you that you shouldn't be a point man. Rage quitting at that means you probably shouldn't be in that slot.

As for people getting antsy at you not healing them, I play medic almost exclusively (medic is my go-to class and it's nearly always available), I've never had it happen. You just need to communicate with people. If someone dies out in the open in the middle of a firefight, inform them that you can't get to them so that they can give up and get back into the fight easier. Having them lie dead in the middle of a street waiting for a medic doesn't do the team any good, they're one gun short, and them getting angry is entirely understandable. Another point is if they die in a position that they can't be revived, such as falling through a crack in the rocks, sliding down a hill into enemy line of sight, etc. Again, communication is your best tool, and informing them they can't be safely revived so that they can give up and get back into the firefight sooner is to everyone's advantage.

A couple of things could be improved in-game, such as a UI element when you're down indicating when you're getting bandaged (bandaged, not medic-bagged), and also indicating your bleed out state, but other than that, it's fine as is.

No one is going to get upset at a medic for prioritising getting up other medics, or prioritising squad leaders or those low on blood. The only time I've seen people get someone peeved off, other than medics running ahead/spawning at wrong FOBs, is when the entire team's medics are healing one guy and a grenades detonates next to them, which happens a fair bit, especially in capzone firefights.

Cover the medics and they support you.

With that said a medic shouldn't go in alone and people shouldn't be too far away to cover.

As a SLer half our job is to watch where members are on the map and constantly give direction.

Sometimes reviving/healing a teammate under enemy's fire is impossible. The fallen player should tell to the squad this zone is too hot and he cannot be saved. Otherwise the squad will lose its medic.  

1 hour ago, kiba3x said:

Sometimes reviving/healing a teammate under enemy's fire is impossible. The fallen player should tell to the squad this zone is too hot and he cannot be saved. Otherwise the squad will lose its medic.  

I hope this is common sense :/

On 25/12/2016 at 11:52 PM, Catindabox said:

I hope this is common sense :/

In many cases is not. And it sucks when the medic dies of heroic death reviving under fire.