Robin Sage

New M4 Sound is Atrocious

Let me start off by saying I'm not one to bash on the developers of this great game, or to give negative feedback often without any clear solutions. However, the new M4 sound is atrocious. It sounds nothing like an actual M4/M16 using 5.56 NATO. It sounds almost like a minor bang from a .22 Long rifle or a Bullpup gun from far away. I'm not a sound guy. I do not pretend to be better than the current sound engineer nor would I be able to do his job. I give him much credit to most of the sounds in the game, but to push an M4 sound that is actually worse than the previous one before is a bad decision. In my opinion. I am not trying to be disrespectful or tell you how to make your game. I actually enjoy your game very much so, but this new sound is kinda killing the gunfire immersion that I had previously with this game. It is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. 

Thank you for reading this. 

Edited by Robin Sage

I'm more concern about the new casu mod they just added. 
The fact medic heal faster than before which is also more casu.
But considerning the community is bored by sound, i guess we got the casu we desserve x)

casu? 

2 minutes ago, darricks said:

But considerning the community is bored by sound, i guess we got the casu we desserve x)

3 minutes ago, darricks said:

Uhhh, what?

Just now, DoctorKamikaze said:

Uhhh, what?

+1000

Probably some airsofter wanting to sound all high-speed low drag

I don't think the medic buff makes this a casual game at all. I was a medic, pretty sure I know how to provide combat medical care faster than the average soldier. 
Regardless I'd like to keep this thread on topic please. Keep all replies strictly related to the new m4 sound. 

I agree. Sorry Anders , but it's not that bad. It does sorta ad to the concussive effect. This has been brought out number of times, I don't think Anders will budge unfortunately.  But the "feel" and overall "effect" in a virtual world the M4 is just fine. It can use some better reflection sound as do most the weapons sounds. I can post a sound bite or video of what "know and replicate closest to best of my ability" of what it can or should sound like. Something like that 

Edited by wyatt_earp_fan

Honestly thought the M4 sounded way better. Before it was like a pop gun, but now it sounds like a proper rifle. I have no complaints with it.

That's the thing, we've seen it in pr when anders updated sounds there. It was always some people hate the new sounds, some love them and most people are indifferent. As long as two distinctly different weapons don't sound the exact same (AK and m4 for example) I reckon most people don't mind. In less than ten posts we've already had an opposing opinion.

But anyway, anders usually listens to the community to an extent and at the very least is always trying to improve the sounds on his own.

I miss the old AKM sound, which was amazing back a few versions ago : ( Hopefully the audio reflection stuff they'll do later will make it all sound great

I believe that they are working on a reverb sound effect with it, that is why it hasnt changed as of yet. Idk but ill keep on digging.

44 minutes ago, wetblue13 said:

I believe that they are working on a reverb sound effect with it, that is why it hasnt changed as of yet. Idk but ill keep on digging.

I mean I'm sure there are multiple reasons. I'm just saying personally, that my opinion is that it was a bad idea to release the sound even though the feedback was negative. I'm not saying that it's a horrible game or **** the devs or anything to that effect. Will I keep playing SQUAD? Of course lol. Feedback is still feedback. The important thing to remember about negative feedback is it needs to be said in a manner that contributes to the overall community. 

21 minutes ago, Robin Sage said:

I mean I'm sure there are multiple reasons. I'm just saying personally, that my opinion is that it was a bad idea to release the sound even though the feedback was negative. I'm not saying that it's a horrible game or **** the devs or anything to that effect. Will I keep playing SQUAD? Of course lol. Feedback is still feedback. The important thing to remember about negative feedback is it needs to be said in a manner that contributes to the overall community. 

I know i know man lol, it will get better.

. I'm just saying personally, that my opinion is that it was a bad idea to release the sound even though the feedback was negative. . 

What feedback are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

What feedback are you referring to?

There are people that tested the sound/knew about it/heard it and gave negative feedback about it prior to the 8.9 patch. 

1 minute ago, Robin Sage said:

There are people that tested the sound/knew about it/heard it and gave negative feedback about it prior to the 8.9 patch. 

It was put in a while ago, before you actually joined the forums.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of such feedback (I'm not a tester)

The new new one is more powerful than the old. Many gave me that feedback. And all recordings in these new fire sounds are actually just from an M4.  Surprise! :)

48 minutes ago, anders said:

The new new one is more powerful than the old. Many gave me that feedback. And all recordings in these new fire sounds are actually just from an M4.  Surprise! :)

Needs tweaked then. I'm not denying your sources or anything like that. Don't take what I'm saying in a negative light either. I understand it's a WIP. 

38 minutes ago, Robin Sage said:

Needs tweaked then. I'm not denying your sources or anything like that. Don't take what I'm saying in a negative light either. I understand it's a WIP. 

Np mate! I didn't take it like that, but it's always hard with sounds. I have my picture, some one has the same, but some are just puking over new changes. I've heard alot that the previous sets were pretty weak, compared to all other weapons ingame. So in the end I tried to change that aswell with a new base and worked my way from there. But I've tried a new experiment with the new M4 sounds. It's that it has the same sounds in 3p close up as 1p. But I use a wide stereo spread for the 3p sounds wich will make much more details with 2 channels when standing with the shooter in front of the listener. But that actually has nothing to do with the sound files themself. 
So what is it that you would like tweaked? Cause I just played online and thought that it was very powerful, maybe a little too soft in 3p? But certainly not like a .22.

3 minutes ago, anders said:

Np mate! I didn't take it like that, but it's always hard with sounds. I have my picture, some one has the same, but some are just puking over new changes. I've heard alot that the previous sets were pretty weak, compared to all other weapons ingame. So in the end I tried to change that aswell with a new base and worked my way from there. But I've tried a new experiment with the new M4 sounds. It's that it has the same sounds in 3p close up as 1p. But I use a wide stereo spread for the 3p sounds wich will make much more details with 2 channels when standing with the shooter in front of the listener. But that actually has nothing to do with the sound files themself. 
So what is it that you would like tweaked? Cause I just played online and thought that it was very powerful, maybe a little too soft in 3p? But certainly not like a .22.

It's not the volume of the sound itself or the Bass/Boom when you fire. It's more so specifically what you hear. When you take samples do you have anything directly behind the rifle itself? I understand it won't be 100% realistic and I'm not trying to make anyone pull their hair out over it. Personally, everytime I shot my rifle I would hear the internals more instead of the actual crack from the rifle. What you hear from behind the gun is very different than what everyone else hears. In my opinion there isn't enough of a spring sound. Almost sounds like a SAW tbh without the linkage sound.