Robin Sage

New M4 Sound is Atrocious

2 hours ago, wyatt_earp_fan said:

M1 Garand.

thank you

Depending on the variant, the M1 fired either a 7.62 or a 30-06. But I guess I'm still confused as we don't have an M1 in game. Seemed that the M1 comment came a bit out of left field.

8 hours ago, wyatt_earp_fan said:

Yes, the reflection is great, and I wish could be implemented. But as Kamakazi brought out, you'd need real good mic to capture the real sound, the nuisance and "pop"/crack" you initially hear from every weapon, plus the correct reverberation Squad needs, but then theres back ground noise as well. There are ways, however, to get that nice loud pop, but it takes a lot of searching around , or creating the right effect to recreate that sound to add to a gun shot. These Dynamic Range sound effects have them, its just a lot of game dvelopers and movie producers choose the wrong sound for each weapon and event. In movies, the most dramatic sound is used and not what it should be used. In games, same can be said. So far the most accurate sounds used Battlefields 3,4, and 1 have taken the cake. Some careful selection would be needed for Squad. The only thing is getting both types of reverb for both Urban and Forest enviorments might be a bit of a task givin the limitation of the game sound engine.  

And Devestation, turning it up, of course, might give you a good loudness, but from a camera recording?  Its a great idea though

EA have always put a lot of money in sound production. I remember watching a documentary on one of there games "Need For Speed: Carbon" They had some high quality shit. They always have good sound quality because they have a lot of money haha. They really push for good quality sound. 

7 hours ago, Odin said:

Depending on the variant, the M1 fired either a 7.62 or a 30-06. But I guess I'm still confused as we don't have an M1 in game. Seemed that the M1 comment came a bit out of left field.

Um he was referring to my post that included a video from my sound mod. Don't you see it right above his comment? 

4 hours ago, Pvt. Lewis said:

Um he was referring to my post that included a video from my sound mod. Don't you see it right above his comment? 

Thanks Pvt. Lewis. I am used to seeing the embedded videos. Didn't even notice the link you put in there. Thanks.

14 hours ago, CaptCalvin said:

Yes.

Well, it would be cool yes, as your typical FPS rifle sound but that's not what you hear in uh, the subject matter discourse lately has been about real sound as opposed to Holllywood sound effects. Its a cool nice sound yeah but thats just another variable sound that's processed through a recording and just changed by the way the mic recorded it. I think i explained it right haha.

Edited by wyatt_earp_fan

disparate ears, disparate sound hardware

Lols!

i would hazard to guess that there is no microphone on the planet good enough to ape the human ear.

5 hours ago, wyatt_earp_fan said:

Well, it would be cool yes, as your typical FPS rifle sound but that's not what you hear in uh, the subject matter discourse lately has been about real sound as opposed to Holllywood sound effects. Its a cool nice sound yeah but thats just another variable sound that's processed through a recording and just changed by the way the mic recorded it. I think i explained it right haha.

Well the typical FPS hollywood sounds would either be anemic pops or overdone bassy booms. In person the M4/M16 is more of a bang, has more of a crack to it.

1 hour ago, wyatt_earp_fan said:

huh?

What he means is, that unless you've heard a real M4 fire, you can't possibly have anything of substance to say in this thread and the fact that people do makes him eat icecream too fast or something.

On 2/9/2017 at 2:06 PM, Peerun said:

What he means is, that unless you've heard a real M4 fire, you can't possibly have anything of substance to say in this thread and the fact that people do makes him eat icecream too fast or something.

I own an M4. I also periodically post range master duty

9 hours ago, wyatt_earp_fan said:

I own an M4. I also periodically post range master duty

Not much to do with sound design. You can be the best range master with an M4 and can be a deaf person. 

On 2/14/2017 at 2:33 AM, Peerun said:

Not much to do with sound design. You can be the best range master with an M4 and can be a deaf person. 

But I'm not deaf. Its what I've been trying to explain. People have their interpretations and opinions on what said weapons should sound like in the game and some have never really heard nor shot a real weapon in real life. Its not about the volume cause I think its loud enough. Everything sounds pretty much spot on to make any prior military Vet have a few flashbacks when hearing the sound effects. Although some can use a little change. Like the M4.. it sounds plastic like. What it sounds like is if the recording was done some place near some buildings and recorded at around 30 or more meters. But I think we're beating a dead horse now. Mr Anderz wont even respond to this thread anymore.

Edited by wyatt_earp_fan