Axton

Yamalo 8km [WiP]

Maybe if the edges were raised ground that overlook the surrounding areas it would make sense as a good strategic position.

Posted (edited)

Haven't posted in a bit, let's fix that:

WITH 1 KM OF GRASSS

cIzF8L2.jpg

LZX6wDZ.jpg

Szqq5fV.jpg

And a +5 fps boost!

(Previously the grass only rendered to ~150 meters, meaning that it wasn't effective cover from long range. I did some magical shit and now that problem no longer exists)

Edited by Axton

Is that btr sunk into the ground while it's still burning? Or is the grass just that long?

14 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Is that btr sunk into the ground while it's still burning? Or is the grass just that long?

Just an unrealistic sunken btr :P Just like the original yamalia

With that much grass, my computer will burst into flames just like that btr. xD

4 hours ago, Axton said:

Just an unrealistic sunken btr :P Just like the original yamalia

Haha no worries, just checking! 

Will you be sharing with the class how you achieved your massive FPS savings? :) I know that my interest has been piqued! 

It is such a weird and bizarre feeling seeing your own native region where you have had been living for 20 years and which even some of the Russians have not heard of as a map to Squad... I mean, I am more than just hyped and intrigued by now

10 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Haha no worries, just checking! 

Will you be sharing with the class how you achieved your massive FPS savings? :) I know that my interest has been piqued! 

I absolutely will :D I'd actually like to make a guide on it in the future, but for those curious, yamalo used to draw the swamp grass out to 150ish meters. Drawing that much grass was expensive, and it didn't even cover the ground I wanted it to. So I experimented, and tried a lot of things. I tried using distant sprites that always face the camera (looked strange from above) I tried using a simpler material for the LOD of the grass (Looked meh and didn't save any performance)I even tried painting it with a foliage brush (Kinda worked but killed performance) 

And then I thought "Why don't I just make my own LOD mesh and material for the grass static"

And I did. And it worked. 

It's basically just an extra LOD on the grass mesh that starts right after the second LOD (~50 meters), but it's only a single plane, the length of which is approximately the same as the entire cluster of grass is up close. It has a material applied that I made to be as simple as possible. It uses a much lower res texture than the old grass as well. It worked so well that I can turn the grass distance up to about 2.5km and only then does it start to drop frames. But  you can really only see out to 1km so I decided to leave it there and take the extra frames :3 

So yeah. Super simple solution, dunno why it took me so long to think of :P But it works. It doesn't look particularly good on any grass that's on a slope, but I don't need it to. Although with slightly different LOD meshes it might work great. And most maps won't need to draw it all the way out to 1km anyways.

1 hour ago, RevolT said:

It is such a weird and bizarre feeling seeing your own native region where you have had been living for 20 years and which even some of the Russians have not heard of as a map to Squad... I mean, I am more than just hyped and intrigued by now

Cheers man. It may not be 100% accurate as I'm basing it off of the original yamalia from PR, but I've tried to add some irl spice as well :) Hopefully you enjoy it when it releases.

15 hours ago, Axton said:

And then I thought "Why don't I just make my own LOD mesh and material for the grass static"

Thanks for the info! It was interesting, and if you do put a guide together I will read it thoroughly! 

Posted (edited)

In my opinion the PR map Yamalia is the worst map ever, a big map full of pure emptiness nonsense. It's a very hard task to give it a twist and I hope your success in making a better map because a map to the par of the orginal would be a waste of your talent.

Edited by El Pube

It's looking great, but hopefully we'll have MBTs soon to make it more interesting to play. The view distance looks amazing

Posted (edited)

How far done would you say is the map currently? 60, 75, 90% yet? :)

Edited by DanielNL

95%. The list of things I still need to do:

1. Wait for more vehicles to be added to squad

2. Optimise slightly

3. Some fun times of day and weather settings

4. Misc detailing and stuff.

I say skip step 1 ! :D (At least we got MTLBs, BRDMs and BTRs already! :) )

Which plans do you have for factions layers? Also some RU vs MIL layer?

It's been a while! I did some stuff. Namely redoing almost every material on yamalo. New grass, new trees, new terrain (Thanks to my handy new megascans subscription) 

Oh and I finished the map. All the cap points, mains, etc are there.

I also learned some stuff recently like turning AO on and color grading a scene.

So let's take a look!

Firstly, the new grass. I updated the material, and added some height variation for that natural look.

WtsTMGH.jpg

Secondly, the materials (terrain and otherwise). I've begun working with a texture workflow similar to this one: http://polycount.com/discussion/183365/alirezas-art-blog-macro-normal-variation

It's very efficient and performance light in terms of full PBR stuff, but it looks great. The specular adds a lot, I won't be going back to a solid value ever. 

sAGNYXm.jpg

zWSWKbm.jpg

The ambient occlusion and post processing really helped the underground areas. 

eRtqjJ0.jpg

8Rvb48P.jpg

Last but not least, the mains:

The US has a nice temporary base set up in the clearing made by an oil rig:

olDsoWy.jpg

Meanwhile the Russians have commandeered a small homestead and turned it into a makeshift FOB:

gsPF0gG.jpg

That's all for now! I took a bunch of glamour shots and put them in this album if anyone wants to look: (also includes the pics posted here)

wow! Much better! It's clear that you put some hard work there! It did pay off :)

Awesome, can't wait for it to be included into next patch... (Hoping for it)