Axton

Yamalo 8km [WiP]

18 hours ago, Axton said:

Here's a map of my current plans for the flag layout:

NtoJLtD.png

Does this mean map with possible have 6 contested flags at once? 

I can distinctly remember this map being an absolute nightmare for infantry, being flat and with extremely large open areas. I'm still kinda looking forward to it, judging by the screenshots you've just nailed the old Yamalia look :)

On 1/22/2017 at 3:14 PM, Romby said:

Does this mean map with possible have 6 contested flags at once? 

Negative, it'll randomly pick 1 lane at the beginning of the round.

8 hours ago, Axton said:

Negative, it'll randomly pick 1 lane at the beginning of the round.

that is pretty cool.

Did a bit of work on the map, including adjusting the oil well particle effects and lowering the tree density.

uHc9gmT.jpg

Do ya'll think this lower density would work better?

Damn this map looks amazing. Can't wait to play on it, seems like it could be a dream for a skilled marksman removing sentries from posts at a super fob, vehicle operators engaging in long range combat, or helo pilots quickly inserting troops to capture points.

As for lower tree density I could see benefits to both. Lower tree density = easier target acquisition, which can be a gift and a curse. For infantry vs infantry it could be frustrating to have too dense of a forest as they could just walk past each other without ever knowing. However the same higher density could provide much needed cover for foot soldiers from the likes of armored vehicles.

It depends on whether or not you want create an area in the mars lands or the Taiga. In the marshlands the tree density would probably be close to what you have right now(maybe even less), the Taiga on the other hand is densely forested. The lowlands being free of trees supports the former, but it's probably justifyable to increase tree density the farther away in the inner highlands you are from the marshes, eg. in the NWern, SWern and SEern parts of the map the forest could be made noticeably more dense compared to the middle.

Why copy a (shitty) PR map when you can create anything you want from scratch? Why not think about proper map design to balance things out between infantry, (scopes and iron sights) and armour, creating several lanes to be dominated by infantry while armour can fight in the more open areas. PR's 4km maps are usually horrible for INF because the map maker put 0 thought into balancing it out properly, few maps have passages allowing inf to move between the flags well and it just makes it boring as hell to play. And please think about how high tree branches start, one thing that makes Yamalia shit to play in PR is not being able to see a guy lying down next to a tree if you're standing up simply because of the low tree branches.

CURvrhx.jpg

This screenshots looks ok, if you create many small hills covering small valleys you can create paths for inf to move from 1 flag to another without having to worry about gay scope or amour killing you from distance.

4 minutes ago, banOkay said:

(shitty) PR map

pHBBGpA.gif

And I'd like to think I'm not copying it, as much as remaking it. I've created the layout from scratch and I'm putting a lot of thought into how it will play. Obviously you don't like wide open maps, nor densely forested ones where it's easy for players to hide. Which I can understand, however this map has wide open spaces and dense foliage. If you don't like that you don't have to play it :D 

Also:

24 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Why copy a (shitty) PR map when you can create anything you want from scratch?

To quote our glorious admin Zeno, "If you don't like how it's being made, go make it yourself"

The SDK is there, free to all.

34 minutes ago, banOkay said:

Why copy a (shitty) PR map when you can create anything you want from scratch? Why not think about proper map design to balance things out between infantry, (scopes and iron sights) and armour, creating several lanes to be dominated by infantry while armour can fight in the more open areas. PR's 4km maps are usually horrible for INF because the map maker put 0 thought into balancing it out properly, few maps have passages allowing inf to move between the flags well and it just makes it boring as hell to play. And please think about how high tree branches start, one thing that makes Yamalia shit to play in PR is not being able to see a guy lying down next to a tree if you're standing up simply because of the low tree branches.

I must say that I loved the game play in PR, I always had a tense feeling that the enemy could be right behind the next tree and I really liked the dangerous infantry plays.

Can´t wait to test this one out in Squad!

4 hours ago, banOkay said:

And please think about how high tree branches start, one thing that makes Yamalia shit to play in PR is not being able to see a guy lying down next to a tree if you're standing up simply because of the low tree branches. 

You must not have spent a lot of time in coniferous forests like the Taiga. Branches often start at ground level. IMG_3615.jpg

9 hours ago, Axton said:

Did a bit of work on the map, including adjusting the oil well particle effects and lowering the tree density.

uHc9gmT.jpg

Do ya'll think this lower density would work better?

I don't see why you couldn't have both if it doesn't kill frames? Forests often vary depending on soils, water table, if there has been fires or other disturbances in the past. It would also make it more interesting as a player.

6 hours ago, banOkay said:

CURvrhx.jpg

This screenshots looks ok, if you create many small hills covering small valleys you can create paths for inf to move from 1 flag to another without having to worry about gay scope or amour killing you from distance.

Wow wow what a toolish comment. Lets see your map mods bruh

I never liked Ymalaya that much but the best moments I had playing PR was in that map. So it is definitely a good designed map. You are doing a great job! I hope to see it running with the upcoming british army! 

I've been splitting my free time lately between faffing off (watching netflix and playing vidya games) and helping Chancebrahh with Al Basrah, but I did happen to get a few things done on Yamalo tonight!

I found a way to fix the smoke!

Before:

SYC5eVJ.jpg

After:

4oqTYLg.jpg

Before:

qs6HE5q.jpg

After:

mER2WO0.jpg

I've also been poking around with a somewhat... different cap point. Tell me what you think, I think it'd be cool to have a huge crater lake like this with some research scaffolding and such winding down into it. But if everyone dislikes it it'd be very easy to erase :)

aCZS3bl.jpg

And if anyone is questioning the realism of such a feature, they definitely happen in real life, and can be quite big:

CollapsedPingo.jpg

BtvCmbBIgAMK_my.jpg

Edited by Axton

Great work on the smoke!
If it were to receive some detailing, i dont see any reason not to include that sinkhole. :)

7 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

How about a cool kettle lake instead of a crater? :P

How about a crater filled with water that became a lake over millions of years! ;)

Edited by WarEagle751

Crater Lake is a place in Oregon, pretty cool spot actually. Only thing is I don't know what the tactical value of a lake is, really, unless your men are very thirsty. It would be a good detail on the map, but I don't know if I would center a cap point on it except on maybe 1 of your layers.