Axton

Yamalo 8km [WiP]

Axton   

Yamalo

8km

AAS

Yamalo-Nenets autonomous okrug (region) (also spelled Yamalo-Nenetsky, Yamalo-Nenetsia, Yamalia) is a part of Ural federal district of the Russian Federation. The city of Salekhard is the administrative center of the region.

The region is located in the arctic zone of West-Siberian plain, in the center of Extreme North of Russia.

The population of Yamalo-Nenets region is about 542,000 (2012), land area - 769,250 sq. km.

The relief of Yamalo-Nenets region is plain, it consists of tundra and forest-tundra with a lot of lakes and marshland

SnHZACW.jpg

IPUZJ5l.jpg

Yamalo is a map made for vehicular warfare and superfobs. With expansive plains hundreds of meters wide and large 'Islands' of dense tundra forest all in an 8KM playable area, it will be both a dream and a nightmare. 

Yamalo is quite obviously inspired by the Project Reality map "Yamalia" and while it's layout is completely separate and made entirely from scratch, I hope you'll have the same feeling plowing your way through the swamps in an APC as you did on the old Yamalia. I've done everything I can to preserve the old feel of Yamalia while simultaneously bringing every part of it up to date, as well as adding some new touches of my own ;) 

The map features many trench systems, dug in fortifications, and tunnels. I've tried to make sure that each cap point has it's own interest and unique features, and all but a few points in the final version will have some type of interest to them. 

I have, however, left plenty of room on each point for teams to dig in a build expansive superFOBs, something that I really hope is taken advantage of in gameplay. 

Without further ado, here's some screenshots showing off the map:

GJJZMPF.jpg  1VGyNUF.jpg  AkP9OeE.jpg

ryVdrIo.jpg  EWzg8Rb.jpg  sEjYqYO.jpg

xfWb2Jz.jpg  P2yq2oK.jpg  CURvrhx.jpg

Edited by Axton

Dayum, i really loved the PR Yamalia map, and i'll love this one at least as much as i can see now!

One question tho, what are the oil towers for? Maybe you could include like a small oil field somewhere on the map along a main road?

Edited by Guan_Yu007

Axton   
12 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Dayum, i really loved the PR Yamalia map, and i'll love this one at least as much as i can see now!

One question tho, what are the oil towers for? Maybe you could include like a small oil field somewhere on the map along a main road?

Actually, if you look in the top right of the minimap, the entire road-covered area IS an oilfield. Most of the wells are capped off however, so there's only the two that are being burnt off.

Gorzu   

It all looks awesome, very well done! BUT im afraid this will be horrible to play without choppers, i think 8x8 km is just way too big for now.  On top of that we also lack all the other things that makes Yamalia interesting, (heavier APC's, tanks, mortars) so unless there is a smaller more infantry focused version i dont really wanna be playing it any time soon :( 

Edited by Gorzu

Axton   
4 minutes ago, Gorzu said:

It all looks awesome, very well done! BUT im afraid this will be horrible to play without choppers, i think 8x8 km is just too big for now.  On top of that we also lack all the other things that makes Yamalia interesting, (heavier APC's, tanks, mortars) so unless there is a smaller more infantry focused version i dont really wanna be playing it any time soon :( 

Well, this is something that has weighed heavily on my mind while making this map. The map could be done in a matter of a week or two, and ready to play. But my opinion is that without tanks, APCs (on both sides, we need a counterpart to the russian BTR) and long range weaponry the map will not play correctly. Helicopters would be extremely beneficial but are not 100% required. Because of this, I will most likely not be releasing the map until such a time when these assets are in the game and correctly balanced.

As for an infantry layer, there will be one, but it probably won't get released early or anything unless people really clamor for it.

Edited by Axton

Gorzu   
Just now, Axton said:

Well, this is something that has weighed heavily on my mind while making this map. The map could be done in a matter of a week or two, and ready to play. But my opinion is that without tanks, APCs (on both sides, we need a counterpart to the russian BTR) and long range weaponry the map will not play correctly. Helicopters would be extremely beneficial but are not 100% required. Because of this, I will most likely not be releasing the map until such a time when these assets are in the game and correctly balanced.

That makes sense :) Its just a shame, because like you say it looks like its almost done and it might be quite a while before we get the missing assets. But at least this might force you to perfect the map even more in the mean time ;) 

As a sidenote i very much doubt any 8x8km map will be enjoyable without choppers. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though, and im looking forward to get to playtest yours!

Axton   
6 minutes ago, Gorzu said:

That makes sense :) Its just a shame, because like you say it looks like its almost done and it might be quite a while before we get the missing assets. But at least this might force you to perfect the map even more in the mean time ;) 

As a sidenote i very much doubt any 8x8km map will be enjoyable without choppers. It will be interesting to see how it plays out though, and im looking forward to get to playtest yours!

I would ideally like to have multiple choppers in the map, and I'll probably be waiting until that is an option. I'm just saying that if I have a choice to either release the map with tanks, APCs, etc but no choppers, OR wait multiple months just for choppers? I'd release it without and add them later. I'll definitely be refining the map and adding tons of detail as I wait, and trust me, there's plenty that can be worked on in the mean time ;)

hygTG4E.png  qijBWsT.jpg

(AT gun model courtesy of Baby_James on discord, he's making it for the map. Shells are mine :3)

Edited by Axton

Romby   

Trying to understand the minimap. Are the dark areas the forests and the light areas are the plains?

Looks like a really nice map! Next update will bring the Stryker and we all hope for mortars as well. If both these features are added will you make you map available or does it need more armor to be playable?  

Edited by Romby

Axton   
1 minute ago, Romby said:

Trying to understand the minimap. Are the dark areas the forests and the light areas are the plains?

Looks like a really nice map! Next update will bring the Stryker and we all hope for mortars as well. If both these features are added will you make you map available or does it need more armor to be playable?  

Dark areas are the forests, yes. 

We'll have to see what the next few updates bring, I'll do some testing and see whether it's worth waiting or not.

Sahara   

Looks sick Axton! Cant wait. If you make another layer, for the Skybox, a Ghost Recon Esque dark/rainy atmosphere (like Goro INF) would be sweet as well! 

Edited by LMR Sahara

DanielNL   

Omg! :D I hope you made back-ups of the work (just in case sth. happens to your HDD/SSD... There was already 1 case of a Squad mapper who suddenly stopped posting in this forum... He last replied to this thread in august forums.joinsquad.com/topic/18489-wipjungle-map-w-possible-requests-for-assistance )

Where did you get the bed models from? :P

Edited by DanielNL

Axton   
10 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Omg! :D I hope you made back-ups of the work (just in case sth. happens to your HDD/SSD... There was already 1 case of a Squad mapper who suddenly stopped posting in this forum... He last replied to this thread in august forums.joinsquad.com/topic/18489-wipjungle-map-w-possible-requests-for-assistance )

Where did you get the bed models from? :P

Bed models are in the SDK already :3