Aniallator

Common misconception about how to use rocket artillery

In my experience rocket artillery can be effective in the right hands (I've been on both the sending and receiving ends of this), but that generally speaking, it's ineffective. I think the reason for this is that people usually employ it strategically rather than tactically. 90% of the time I've seen rocket techies they're bombarding a flag/FOB, which is ineffective unless the rocket techie is coordinating with friendly squads that can rush the flag/FOB the moment the bombardment ends... which is hardly, if ever, the case. All the enemy has do to is wait for the bombardment to end, then they can resume defensive positions and revive anyone who went down.

If you're unable to coordinate with friendly squads, or those squads are unable to position themselves to employ the aforementioned tactic, a more effective utilization of the rocket techie is using it defensively as an area denial weapon, rather than offensively against static enemy positions. A good example of this is Kohat v2, where whoever controls the hills near the flags controls the flags. Using rocket artillery to deny the enemy the hills, if successful, would allow flags to be held or at least held for longer, and would if nothing else buy time.

Keep this in mind next time you use a rocket techie.

Until the rockets do damage through walls, a rifle with an optic will always be more effective at denying an area from the enemy.
Not to mention a HMV or a BTR.

Edited by Peerun

1 hour ago, Peerun said:

Until the rockets do damage through walls, a rifle with an optic will always be more effective at denying an area from the enemy.
Not to mention a HMV or a BTR.

And that's true, except the Insurgents/Militia don't have BTRs or Humvees and their low-power optics are shite :)

For good insight about how to effectively use the rockets Karmakut has one or two really sweet videos on youtube with him spotting and directing rocket fire for effectiveness. Check them out. Here is a free promo for you Karma.

Mi24 pod on a pole....What did you expect ?. it's purpsoe is more to supress then to actually make casualties.

Thing is, even if you hit a squad or two dead on at a hill 600m away, only about a quarter or less might actually die. Its also very easy to pick the guys up with medics because there likely isnt another volley coming in. Cool weapon, but dedicating any more then 3 on a team to it is a waste.

Firing on a hit is so ineffective. People will just lie down and because of unevenness of hill noone gets killed except if a rocket makes a direct hit on somebody.

Once I was running in hills of Kohat with a full squad. We heard the rockets coming and all dropped to the ground. We were right in the middle of the bombarded zone (rockets falling in all sides). But guess what happened. I was wounded and no one else was hit. A full reload worth 300 ammo points was fired right on top of my squad and noone died. The rocket techie is completly useless in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Romby said:

Firing on a hit is so ineffective. People will just lie down and because of unevenness of hill noone gets killed except if a rocket makes a direct hit on somebody.

Once I was running in hills of Kohat with a full squad. We heard the rockets coming and all dropped to the ground. We were right in the middle of the bombarded zone (rockets falling in all sides). But guess what happened. I was wounded and no one else was hit. A full reload worth 300 ammo points was fired right on top of my squad and noone died. The rocket techie is completly useless in my opinion. 

well laying down from those projectiles most of the time will save you. This will also be the case with mortars. You've hit the nail on the head though with the ammo points. I think it requires a mobile ammobox that you can load in vehicles,... or so to make the techie usefull. 1 volley of rockets  just doesnt do the trick, which leaves the techie, more often than not left behind at main base. 

27 minutes ago, PARTY said:

well laying down from those projectiles most of the time will save you. This will also be the case with mortars. You've hit the nail on the head though with the ammo points. I think it requires a mobile ammobox that you can load in vehicles,... or so to make the techie usefull. 1 volley of rockets  just doesnt do the trick, which leaves the techie, more often than not left behind at main base. 

Excatly. If the reload took longer time but cost less points vehicle would be more useful. A fob has 1000 ammo points and that means 3 reloads. So one guy needs to constantly resupply fob near Technie for it to be usefull.

The crow can easily get 20 kills with one reload and that costs 175 points and one guy manning it. Compared to this the techie just isn't useful at all. It is such a hassle to use. You need to build a fob with repair station to reload (that also needs to be defended since it is quite obvious from where the rockets are being fired). You need a spotter,  a gunner and a resupply guy (thats need to constantly communicate). You have no idea where you are aiming as gunner since there is no UI telling you angle of pod. All this for of you are lucky 1 kill. 

yeah from my (limited) experience with the rocket techie, it just seems too hard to make useful for the 20 tickets it is worth, it takes a long time to set one up properly without pissing off other squads who will just tell you to do something else instead

1 hour ago, Azor Ahype said:

yeah from my (limited) experience with the rocket techie, it just seems too hard to make useful for the 20 tickets it is worth, it takes a long time to set one up properly without pissing off other squads who will just tell you to do something else instead

exactly, that on top of everything aswell xD

4 hours ago, Azor Ahype said:

I agree. I haven't been able to effectivly use it and I haven't seen anyone successfully use it. The manpower is better used on a capture or defense point.

Even at high levels of play.  I can agree that it is very difficult to get any good value from using it in the game.

The best thing it has going for it is area denial and suppression, but the logisitical strain, lack of accuracy, and killing potential really limits its usefulness.

I think the emplemention of mortors will really give insurgents that precesion indirect fire support they need.

On 11. 12. 2016 at 1:37 AM, Aniallator said:

And that's true, except the Insurgents/Militia don't have BTRs or Humvees and their low-power optics are shite :)

Yeah exactly, which means that the Arty Techie isn't really a counter balance, atleast not now when it isn't lethal. :)