shankly1985

Squad not support 7.1 Audio?

58 posts in this topic

Hello guys thought I would test Squad out with my new Audio setup Sennheiser GSX Gaming AMP/DAC and also my Pioneer Receiver 7.1

It was me testing out the Audio that I noticed they doesn't seem to be any side channel Audio only Front, L, R, C SW and Rear Right and Rear Left
Side Left and Side Right dont seem to get any signal?

Here a video 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Ysw9BTEA4&feature=youtu.be

As far as I remember, Unreal Engine only supports 5.1 sound at most.

However, if you check out Epic Games' roadmap, they are rewriting their whole audiosystem (probably to support bigger surround-systems and fix AMD CPU bottlenecks). Their current estimate is being finished with it at the end of february, it just got postponed from the end of december. Let's hope Squad still updates to newer engine-iterations at that point in time!

I have a GSX 1000. Great device. Paired with Sennheiser Game Zero headset, it's the best audio experience I've ever had for headset gaming. I don't know if I would notice any difference in 5.1 vs 7.1, but I definitely notice the difference between stereo and "surround" sound in my Squad gaming experience.

egg

6 hours ago, shankly1985 said:

Thanks guys i'll just wait for maybe a fix

aside from your want to use that shiny new hardware, which is totally understandable, what's wrong with only 5.1(for gaming)?

25 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

aside from your want to use that shiny new hardware, which is totally understandable, what's wrong with only 5.1(for gaming)?

Nothing at all :D

sorry for bring this thread up but better than making a new thread.

any update on squad 7.1?

i also would like to ask what setting do you all play in? 2.1? 7.1? and also do you feel it helps?

I keep my Corsair Raptor HS40 in Stereo mostly, seems to give me better accuracy but i can't hear details like some other players. Saving up for a Sennheiser HD600 or something along those lines, my Geforce Gaming 3 comes with a pre-amp so I can power the headsets just fine.

On 2/5/2017 at 7:57 PM, RaulO4 said:

sorry for bring this thread up but better than making a new thread.

any update on squad 7.1?

i also would like to ask what setting do you all play in? 2.1? 7.1? and also do you feel it helps?

I played with the medusa 5.1 true surround headset for ages, it's got multiple drivers in each ear etc. It's fantastic for immersion but I started to think there was just to much going on for me to pin point directions and distance sometimes.

So I switched back to stereo, on the excellent Sennheiser PC360se, they are amazing for accuracy and clarity. I find the 'cleaner' sound is better for my game for sure. 

I will do some more testing for sure but feel my sound is now epic!

On 12/4/2016 at 5:49 AM, shankly1985 said:

Hello guys thought I would test Squad out with my new Audio setup Sennheiser GSX Gaming AMP/DAC and also my Pioneer Receiver 7.1

What 7.1 headset or 7.1 loud speakers?

It was me testing out the Audio that I noticed they doesn't seem to be any side channel Audio only Front, L, R, C SW and Rear Right and Rear Left
Side Left and Side Right dont seem to get any signal?

Self-moded Roccat Kave 5.1 here:

Spoiler

ZMbVSml.jpg

5.1(center, sub, front and rear channels) works like a charm. 7.1 mode(sub, center, front, side and rear channels) is glitched in the game itself. Sound from side dynamics is very weak and quite. So there is no point to use 7.1 in Squad atm, only 5.1.

Looks like you recorded only center, front left and front right channels. You need to pick proper codec which can actually record 5.1-7.1 audio. Youtube also downmix everything to stereo, anyway. So to provide an example you would have to record it properly first and then upload it somewhere or share is using bit-torrent or something like that.

2 hours ago, ZXD_SHO-SHIN said:

I played with the medusa 5.1 true surround headset for ages, it's got multiple drivers in each ear etc. It's fantastic for immersion but I started to think there was just to much going on for me to pin point directions and distance sometimes.

No, it's because of wrong positions of dynamics on Medusa.

Here's how virtual 5.1 looks like in pretty much all video games:

Spoiler

qgsp28x.png

Here's how Medusa looks like:

Spoiler

Medusa_NX_(18).jpg

Graphic representing positions of speakers of Medusa:

Spoiler

BaYhoPc.png

As you can see, positions of dynamics on Medusa don't fit to virtual positions of channels. On that Medusa front left and front right dynamics are in front of center and sub-woofer channels. That's why you can't pin-point directions and distance(I would say always, not sometimes).

In properly designed 5.1 headset center channel should be in front of front left and front right channels, like this:

Spoiler

nNoiABS.png

That's the reason I modded my Roccat Kave 5.1:

Spoiler

ZMbVSml.jpg

Graphic representing positions of my modded Roccat Kave 5.1:

nNoiABS.png

So it corresponds to positions of virtual channels. Works like a charm in Squad, CS:GO, Insurgency, etc. and I like to think that this headset is one in the kind(properly-designed-5.1-headset kind). I never saw any properly designed 5.1 headset on the market yet(that Razer Tiamat and other 5.1-7.1 headsets are complete bullshit).

2 hours ago, ZXD_SHO-SHIN said:

So I switched back to stereo, on the excellent Sennheiser PC360se, they are amazing for accuracy and clarity. I find the 'cleaner' sound is better for my game for sure.

That's because you've never played on properly designed 5.1 headset, mate. :P

Edited by Skul

@ZXD_SHO-SHIN and @Skul,

ive got the Medusa set as well (lovely sound), after using stereo (virtual surround) for ever. Iv'e noticed the same positioning issues as you've had, Sho-Shin, and if the headset was'nt so expensive i'd happily go back to a stereo set. Thanks for the info, now i don't have to wonder any more ;)

13 hours ago, Skul said:

That's why you can't pin-point directions and distance(I would say always, not sometimes)

Yep, my biggest gripe playing BF's - sometimes seemed like i had the phones on backwards!

With the old stereo set (cheap $10 set from Big-W), in JO i could pick direction and distance pretty much completely accurately, and that's a 2004 game.

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

Iv'e noticed the same positioning issues as you've had, Sho-Shin, and if the headset was'nt so expensive i'd happily go back to a stereo set. Thanks for the info, now i don't have to wonder any more ;)

They're like $30, aren't they?

As a workaround, try to go to control panel and turn off sub and center channels:

pHQmRBo.png

Or even better and if you can, down-mix 5.1 to 4.0. Some sound cards can do this natively(like Asus Xonar cards).

If Squad supported 4.0, I would play on 4.0 instead of 5.1, because 4.0 is just a stereo in both longitudinal and lateral axes, while default stereo is a stereo in longitudinal axis and mono in lateral axis.

Edited by Skul

7 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

ive got the Medusa set as well (lovely sound), after using stereo (virtual surround) for ever. Iv'e noticed the same positioning issues as you've had, Sho-Shin, and if the headset was'nt so expensive i'd happily go back to a stereo set. Thanks for the info, now i don't have to wonder any more

ah it's good to know you noticed this to - in fairness it took a while to work out as they do immerse you so much. I was very happy with them for a good while but then started to notice I was 'confused' when really trying to pin point some sounds.

Belive it is ue4 atm. They are re writing g the entire audio system properly this time, hoping it works. 

On 2/9/2017 at 3:49 AM, ZXD_SHO-SHIN said:

I will do some more testing for sure but feel my sound is now epic!

i have the g4me zero (aka the same shit but without a USB connector.)

and i also just got the g533.

both headsets have a Clean sound (once i lower the bass for the g533 aka im just somebody that dislike bass but it it Good bass dont get me wrong)

i may want to talk about something...after playing CTGO with the new and FIX HRTF audio...man, i hope UT4 gets this.

(note the audio has improved since this version) the point is that THIS should be the main feature in a future update that focus on Audio.

this is better than any 7.1, 5.1, or anything. i have never been able to Zone into a target through walls with just audio until with the HRTF update.

any views on this tech being use in the future has it improves?

Edited by RaulO4

7 minutes ago, RaulO4 said:

both headsets have a Clean sound (once i lower the bass for the g533 aka im just somebody that dislike bass but it it Good bass dont get me wrong)

i may want to talk about something...after playing CTGO with the new and FIX HRTF audio...man, i hope UT4 gets this.

(note the audio has improved since this version) the point is that THIS should be the main feature in a future update that focus on Audio.

this is better than any 7.1, 5.1, or anything. i have never been able to Zone into a target through walls with just audio until with the HRTF update.

any views on this tech being use in the future has it improves?

Agreed, proper HRTF is far superior than 5.1 7.1 whatever.

here another example how the tech can improve audio location...note: for all example i have listed make sure you on 2.0 audio or 2.1. dont use 5.1 or 7.1 for these test thx

there is one issue with this tho...at least with ctgo this audio tech makes the cpu work a little harder.

https://github.com/kosumosu/x3daudio1_7_hrtf

turn Arma 3, skyrim, and fallout 4 into HRTF sound which this mod...Read the read me tho for arma 3.

also it could work with any game using x3daudio + Xaudio2(minus those in UT)

Edited by RaulO4

9 hours ago, RaulO4 said:

Didn't know about this update in CS:GO. Nice update, but keklol.gif , it took them almost 5 years to kinda fix sounds. Properly designed and configured true 4.0/5.1 is still better than HRTF in both CSGO and in that Unreal Engine 4 videos. My sounds on my system is definitely better on 4.0/5.1 config than in that youtube videos with HRTF.

this is better than any 7.1, 5.1, or anything.

No, it isn't. As it was already been mentioned above, you never played on properly designed and configured 5.1 headset in CSGO or Squad.

And it isn't even my mod. You can take this medusa, turn off center and sub channel in Windows Control panel, choose 4.0 in CSGO and just play in 5.1 like that in Squad. Still will be better than default stereo or HRTF(based on videos you provided).

i have never been able to Zone into a target through walls with just audio until with the HRTF update.

You can easily do it on properly designed and configured 5.1 headset without HRTF sound.

You guys so quick on making claims based on nothing. I mean, before I started making claims that 4.0 and true 5.1 are better than any kind of stereo, I actually had dedicated stereo headset, stereo sound card, 4.0 headset, 5.1 headset and 5.1 sound card with surround sound abilities(virtual 5.1 and virtual 7.1 for stereo headsets).

I started making claims about true 5.1 and 4.0 being better than default stereo and virtual surround sound after I have actually tested all kind of configurations I could myself in different games(CSGO, Battlefield, Insurgency, Heroes&Generals, Squad, etc.). And in pretty much all games 4.0 and/or 5.1 was better than stereo.

How can you say that HRTF is better than true 5.1 if you've never even played using properly designed and configured true 5.1 system in CS:GO? I will just might try to play with HRTF and after that I can go on reddit or somewhere else and actually claim that HRTF is better than true 4.0/5.1, because I actually tried it myself with proper 5.1 system and I know how proper true 5.1 system actually sounds like and I know how HRTF sounds on stereo headset.

Edited by Skul

o, it isn't. As it was already been mentioned above, you never played on properly designed and configured 5.1 headset in CSGO or Squad.

True 5.1/7.1 headsets have audio quality issues and dead spot issues. this is not something you can fix by setting up your headset no matter what because the issue is with the engine itself for CT GO. also i have tried "True" vs Simulated 5.1 headset and no matter the config they were pretty much the same with slit improvement here and there. also remember when using HRFT you also need turn off any 5.1/7.1 and leave it sterio. 

You can easily do it on properly designed and configured 5.1 headset without HRTF sound.

You guys so quick on making claims based on nothing. I mean, before I started making claims that 4.0 and true 5.1 are better than any kind of stereo, I actually had dedicated stereo headset, stereo sound card, 4.0 headset, 5.1 headset and 5.1 sound card with surround sound abilities(virtual 5.1 and virtual 7.1 for stereo headsets).

with 5.1/7.1 i can hear them coming and know where they at like anything else and yes i have try many set up. you not in a spot to say if i ever had a proper set up because you never been to my home.....(or have you o.O) (sarcastic)

compare to putting my cross hair on the guys head on the other side of the wall and completely follower him across until he pop up..is simply on another level i have never ever been on with pure audio to locate a target.

also you shouldn't be making any claims that 5.1/ or anything is better overall than stereo simple because your test goes completely against what the majority of what everyone else have tested. you see with my comment i was speaking directly about myself and my experiences. Simple because my experiences is not enough to go ageist what the Pros use, what audio designers say, or etc. personally I have not  search up what they think of this. now before you want to make claims or before i on a larger scope we should

A. have a large group of test bed other than ourself

B. Have professional insight in different fields and what the majority think of this..in this case a Pro league will do.

C. do some random testing

which wouldnt be a bad thing..hell we can do it with these forum folks. not a lot of people but why not? i try the 4.0 setup again but this time with his recommendation so we can get a larger sample. after i come back and compare it to HRTF from CT GO. what i can say for now is that I am glad the HRFT sound mod for fallout 4,skyrim,arma3 is out there so i can use it :)  

what i can say is that This Tech is making a comeback. CS GO is not the only game that has this nor will it be a pc only thing. Game Devs are already putting this tech (known 3D sound) in their Ps4 games. Uncharted 4 is the first example of this. from my Personal experiences from all my use of tech with audio...this the best i have ever use to location sounds. if you want to know how i do test well its simple closing my eyes and see if i can follow the noise with only my ears alone.

not scientistic i'll say but its enough for me to hope that more Devs use this tech again.

Edited by RaulO4

1 hour ago, RaulO4 said:

True 5.1/7.1 headsets have audio quality issues and dead spot issues.

Only the ones which are configured in a wrong way(4.0 connected, 5.1 chosen in windows control panel and in cs:go, for example).

1 hour ago, RaulO4 said:

this is not something you can fix by setting up your headset no matter what because the issue is with the engine itself for CT GO.

Nope, just configure it properly and you're fine. I had this issue myself at some point of time, saw a lot of videos from other people, etc. That thing you're talking about very easy to fix(I have 3+k hours in thatgame).

1 hour ago, RaulO4 said:

also i have tried "True" vs Simulated 5.1 headset and no matter the config they were pretty much the same with slit improvement here and there.

Judging by what you're saying you've never configured it in the right way.

1 hour ago, RaulO4 said:

with 5.1/7.1 i can hear them coming and know where they at like anything else and yes i have try many set up.

Judging by what you're saying none of these setups was correct.

And what "True" 5.1 have you tried? Earlier you said:

22 hours ago, RaulO4 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-G4ME-ZERO-Professional-Blocking/dp/B00GXW8358

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g533-wireless-gaming-headset

Both of them are just stereo, nothing more.

Unless you've tried true 5.1 with this dynamic position system(impossible to find on the public market ATM AFAIK):

Spoiler

nNoiABS.png

And not this one(default for all public 5.1 models):

Spoiler

BaYhoPc.png

Then you've never really even played using true-true 5.1 headset. It means you just had a little taste of 4.0, really.

1 hour ago, RaulO4 said:

you not in a spot to say if i ever had a proper set up because you never been to my home.....(or have you o.O) (sarcastic)

I can pretty safely claim that, judging by what you said earlier. Unless, of course, you designed on 3d printer your own model of 5.1 headset with proper dynamic positions and proper pin-out. Chances of that 1 to 1 million or even smaller, so I can pretty safely say what I said.

Only the ones which are configured in a wrong way(4.0 connected, 5.1 chosen in windows control panel and in cs:go, for example).

its very well known 2 drivers headset pretty much almost always better audio quality than "5.1" 7.1 true headsets. you cant fix that no matter becauses its simple base on the quality of the driver itself to produce sound. 

Nope, just configure it properly and you're fine. I had this issue myself at some point of time, saw a lot of videos from other people, etc. That thing you're talking about very easy to fix(I have 3+k hours in that game).

be fine has having audio play in left,right, back right, or back left? without up or down? cause you have to use the sound and what "texture" its coming from to guess the floor.

Judging by what you're saying none of these setups was correct.

tried tons of it...if you wish send a details setup by you so i can give yours a try. note you are not the only one to say "this works" to me. I am always willing to try.

Both of them are just stereo, nothing more.

yea, those are my current headsets. discover just focus on having quality drivers for better sound/audio is much better than these true 5.1/7.1 headsets. my friend has the "Awesome" 7.1 razer headset with (10 drivers)...again my headsets are simple better to wear, listen to, and simple again Simulated 7.1 is a match/better than it.

Then you've never really even played using true-true 5.1 headset. It means you just had a little taste of 4.0, really.

well than now you not talking about setting...you mean finding headsets that are not being made?

I can pretty safely claim that, judging by what you said earlier. Unless, of course, you designed on 3d printer your own model of 5.1 headset with proper dynamic positions and proper pin-out. Chances of that 1 to 1 million or even smaller, so I can pretty safely say what I said.

on a off topic...3D printer sounds more useful every single day.

so what have we found out...you only point is that i have not use any headset that has not been made yet. well you got me on that note but as you say...it has not been made yet. one of the many issues with "True" 7.1 is that many times if the hardware design dont do it right (which is the norm for many 7.1) is that  when the object moves around the player the audio sounds like it jumps from section to section instead of moving around the user. even simulation dont have these issues (that i personally not experienced) 

here is the quicker that i would like to ask you. if i can follow a player with my eyes close (yes i have tested this for fun) and have my cross hair either on him or near him when i open my eyes. what will

1. having good 7.1/5.1 headset

2. than 3D print a proper line up or having a headset that is not out yet

3. than setting it up

will do for me on a personal level? how can it improve on something that accurate? i can hear not just hear left,right,back, or front instead i can also hear up and down which 7.1 dont do as well.

also what i found is that with HRTF (or anything like it) it gets better with better quality headset.

going from g533 or a g4me to a 15$ earbud...a big differences in my ability in locating targets. (aka it gets worst)

just give it a try with this vid (use good headset than a shit headset lol)

It works, even with the earbuds trash it still works man. playing fallout 4 with HRTF is great and sadly Arma 3 can only use HRTF if you dont join a server with battle eye. also i dont understand what is the issue because you can have both audio solution as shown in CS GO or the modded fallout/skyrim/Arma3/Arma2.

not saying you need to force this on the user but to have this as an option would be amazing. 

Edited by RaulO4