heborn

About the new sprint animation

One of the things I most liked in the game was the realistic animation of the sprint, the sight of the soldier running without a rifle under his nose

Just hate this new animation

Edited by heborn

Just now, Melbo said:

Did you miss the "WORK IN PROGRESS" that was plastered over the video?

Precisely because of this I express my indignation, if the work was finalized there would be no reason in this post

Well, if " I hate this new animation " is your kind of giving valuable feedback....

Voicing opinions while it is a WIP is exactly what we should be doing. Why have the devs put in hard work for something people dislike? Better to voice concerns while it is easiest to make changes. 

I dislike the current sprint animation for not being able to see my weapon at all. I love the look of the new sprint animation, and while I can see the weapon being held a bit lower, I wouldn't complain if the devs implemented it as seen in the recap.

We're still working on it, and will take this feedback into account :)

3 hours ago, Aniallator said:

I dislike the current sprint animation for not being able to see my weapon at all. I love the look of the new sprint animation, and while I can see the weapon being held a bit lower, I wouldn't complain if the devs implemented it as seen in the recap.

actually, if you sprint and get your view on the ground, you will se your weapon

I have to agree with OP. I've never ran with a gun myself, so I might be completely wrong, but knowing how the limited FOV works in games, I get the feeling that either the camera is in the guy's throat, or he's holding the weapon up while running.

Am I right in assuming that this is no longer true first person? If this is actually a correct looking third person anim that happens to be like this from first person, my points are moot. :)

You needed an entirely new thread to say "I hate X" ? there wasn't enough room in the progress thread for this intricate feedback?

Personally I don't think I could sprint with my weapon of choice raised so high in such an offensive stance as the new animations show. It would probably be held a bit above waist height and pointing high and far to my left (right handed). Pretty much like this picture.

size0.jpg

The gun should end up out of my vision unless looking down. I'd like to see the gun sweep in/out of my vision as I transition from sprint/run/sprint like it probably would irl. I do like looking at all the detail and effort the devs put into making the weapons but I can do that when stationary or just plain running.

Edited by Major Trouble

21 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Personally I don't think I could sprint with my weapon of choice raised so high in such an offensive stance as the new animations show. It would probably be held a bit above waist height and pointing high and far to my left (right handed). Pretty much like this picture.

size0.jpg

The gun should end up out of my vision unless looking down. I'd like to see the gun sweep in/out of my vision as I transition from sprint/run/sprint like it probably would irl. I do like looking at all the detail and effort the devs put into making the weapons but I can do that when stationary or just plain running.

My question is, what's the point if the third person anims aren't going to reflect that? I'm sure you know what looking at someone sprinting in game looks at right now. That's a huge discrepancy.

I like the new anim that was demonstrated (not to say it's the final one). It already feels great and makes me feel like I'm the actual character rather than a camera. Making stuff go off and on screen isn't really something flashy for an animator to enjoy working on! Everything shown in the animation part of the recap is golden in my opinion, feels like a 2016 title.

In addition to that, the transition from sprinting to aiming would have to be slowed down drastically (in relative terms), meaning it would stack up on the existing effects of fatigue/offset aiming... there's a lot of knock on effects from something that seems so "simple" such as just making the character sprint the way the guy is in the image.

Edit: forgot to mention that having the weapon visible on screen like so allows the animators to convey the motion and feeling of sprinting instead of opting for something unsettling and disruptive such as a headbob effect.

1 hour ago, Assifuah said:

... what's the point if the third person anims aren't going to reflect that?

Why wouldn't they? Don't they adjust the third person anim to the first person one?

While I think the WIP animation looks OK I agree with the concern raised in this topic. The picture shown by  @Major Trouble would be more realistic. Myself, active in the Swedish homeguard, will sometimes even keep the weapon one-handed and raised straight up (also gives a free hand to sway with for balance, reload on the run, or push twigs and stuff aside). The higher your centre of gravity is, the easier it will be (this is why we wanna have rucksacks with the weight as high up as possible for example).

Edited by Japub

1 minute ago, Japub said:

Why wouldn't they? Don't they adjust the third person anim to the first person one?

While I think the WIP animation looks OK I agree with the concern raised in this topic. The picture shown by  @Major Trouble would be more realistic. Myself, active in the Swedish homeguard, will sometimes even keep the weapon one-handed and raised straight up. The higher your centre of gravity is, the easier it will be (this is why we wanna have rucksacks with the weight as high up as possible for example).

As I highlighted, it's not as simple as "this is how it is in real life" and just doing it. I'm well aware of the concern and reasoning behind it as well as how it is in real life, but at the end of the day Squad "is a video game".

However, at the end of the day, animations.. just like everything else, have a purpose to look the part as much as weapons and environments do. Simply removing the weapon from sight when you're sprinting makes it difficult to convey the actual feeling of sprinting to the player. There are other ways of course, such as audio and other effects like I mentioned such as "head bob".. but there needs to be a fine balance between life and game.

The point being, the "new" animation shown (which is subject to change) is still consistent with the current third person animation for sprinting. It's nothing new or a drastic change and it hasn't been a problem before, however.. now it's a problem when it's shown as part of a new animation system.

The gun should be pointing at the ground on your left, but your stock would still rest on your shoulder. When running, you would still see at least back sights and your right hand holding the grip.

99.99% of the time I'm the guy arguing for realism, but when it comes to the current running animation, I just can't. To put it simply, it's boring. Dull. Unenjoyable. When running I feel like I'm a panning camera. Furthermore you have no perspective on rate/speed because you can't see your weapon dip with each footfall as in other FPS games.

The new, WIP running animation showcased in the recap was a pleasant surprise. While it does feel just a tad to Battlefield-ish, I like it; I can see my weapon dip with each footfall, it feels like I'm actually running. Again, if the devs implemented it as seen in the recap, you wouldn't hear any complaints from me. If I were to change anything however, I would lower the barrel to better give the feeling that the stock is resting on your shoulder with the weapon held down. I think this would also negate the Battlefield effect.

13 hours ago, Chuc said:

We're still working on it, and will take this feedback into account :)

If anything, seeing a part of the rifle closer to the mid-rear end would be more reasonable.

If you're sprinting, you're not going to have your rifle shouldered and the front end protruding out in front of you anymore.

Agreed the position of the weapons on the screen was much more natura and realistic looking than the new animation. I hope they  keep the weapon position and POV that is in the game now. That is perfect! 

Looking forward to the other animation features though such as walking and vaulting and the hit reactions and stamina loss when shot!

I'm usually on the side of realism, but without digging into it I like the new animation better so far. Excited to see what the final version is like.

I think for a WIP the new animations are pretty legit... Plenty of time for the Dev's to tweak and balance whatever they want. What I am more interested in is the performance side of the new animation system. I notice a lot more moving parts and more technical things which would lead me to believe it would be more hardware intensive then the previous. That's just me looking at it from my point of view, and I really have no knowledge of the subject, so take with a grain of salt. But, ye, a huge step in the right direction for Squad with this new system.

I absolutely love the new sprinting animation.

I would even say that the animation showing up on-screen is realistic enough to justify keeping it ingame.

In real life, if you're sprinting with a rifle, you usually focus on the path you're running on (you don't want to trip, eh). In real life you can see your blurred out rifle "at the bottom" of your eyesight - "blurred" because as said, you're focussing on the path, not the rifle.

This happens ingame too, if you focus on the middle of your screen (basically looking at where you're running to), the rifle will blur out automatically (premised you don't have an 8" screen). You don't even need a special blurry effect because your eyes will do that on their own.

Keep up with the amazing work.

Edited by carmikaze

I really like the new animations and the weapon position on screen...

I like that we can see the weapon system we are operating with. Its really enjoyable... it does not affect realism what so ever. The only small complain I got is not about 1st person view. But 3rd person, I think when a character looks far right or far left, the torso twists way too much before legs move aswell, in my opinion. Other than that, hats down. Good job...

My only issue with the animation is it looks like he's swinging it around his shoulders quite a bit. With a large object it totally makes sense to swing it while you're running because honestly it helps when you're stepping with your dominant foot. That being said the camera seems to be in your neck/shoulder-height. I'm not sure what a proper animation would look like, but right now it looks out of place.