Sandeep

Realistic weapon sound

weapon sound improvement  required. Need realistic dynamic effects on ambient. Difference between real sound and game sound. 

No game , YouTube video , movie - sound like a day at the range or a real firefight.
There are so many different ways one gun sounds, depending on surroundings, weather, ammunitions... you'll never get it right.

Also I believe that Anders did an amazing job so far.

Getting specific, the only gun I'm kinda disappointed right now is the ak series, is kinda lacks "punch" it had before.
But might just be me. :D

As always: WIP game is WIP! ;)

While I think the sound in this game is absolutely brilliant, I kind of agree on the SAW sounds in general.  The 249 is especially way off and I think the ROF might be a little fast, too.  A little bit of metallic ejection ambience would be cool.  They got the ma deuce down pretty good, so I think they can improve on the smaller autos.

3 hours ago, Sandeep said:

weapon sound improvement  required. Need realistic dynamic effects on ambient. Difference between real sound and game sound. 

Youtube audio compression, plus the fact that it's not high quality sound equipment (but rather a hand-held camera), causes the video's sound to sound nothing like the rifle in real life.

Frankly the sounds are pretty spot on, a little tweaking here and there, but they are pretty damn close. 

33 minutes ago, Tillee said:

No game , YouTube video , movie - sound like a day at the range or a real firefight.
There are so many different ways one gun sounds, depending on surroundings, weather, ammunitions... you'll never get it right.

Also I believe that Anders did an amazing job so far.

Getting specific, the only gun I'm kinda disappointed right now is the ak series, is kinda lacks "punch" it had before.
But might just be me. :D

As always: WIP game is WIP! ;)

I too wish the AK had a bit more "oomph", but I assume Anders changed it to it's current iteration for a reason

Edited by DoctorKamikaze

Regarding ambient

Yes, I also hope that Squad doesn't go the route that arma3 has gone, just adding a simple static  background sound effect which doesn't actually  move when you turn your head around.

Also @op, It'd be cool if you updated  previous topics about  squad sounds. I guess It'd help devs/sound designer to  follow them much more easier

Edited by Hadi

14 hours ago, Hadi said:

Regarding ambient

Yes, I also hope that Squad doesn't go the route that arma3 has gone, just adding a simple static  background sound effect which doesn't actually  move when you turn your head around.

Hi, what do you mean by that? Stereo soundscape? 1p or 3p? If it's stereo, then it's what I'm doing and the sounds will sound best that way, but it will never "move" when turning. It's meant to have details/reflections in 2 channels.
About OP post. No I dissagree after experiencing different calibers irl. I never consider youtube clips. I hate camera mics or cheap zoom mics for recording gunfire. It's not the design path I'm taking. I'm looking at how close you would get to IRL experience. And it's a very very hard task, I tell you, especially when I'm at the same time, trying to please the massive crowd of ears. :)
And the AK if anything has an "ommph" (low freq bass stud), but maybe you mean something else with that term. 

27 minutes ago, anders said:

And the AK if anything has an "ommph" (low freq bass stud), but maybe you mean something else with that term. 

Not being a sound-designer it's hard to describe, especially when assuming everybodies brains process sound differently. But compared to the previous versions and my experience with foreign gun familiarization, the AK's current sound just lacks a bit of... punch...

It previously did sound heavier. I really like the current sound as well, so no worries at all, but i prefered the one before.

Goddammit, i'm bad with describing sounds. :'D

Firearm sounds in Squad are probably the most accurate I've heard in a vanilla game, they're not perfect, but they're good. All is WIP and I got faith in Anders! Most games over do the bass in gun shots, giving it that hollywood effect, or that low quality helmet cam effect.

Having experience in real life with firearms(18 years experience) from hunting as a youngin', to military service, to owning my own weapons. I'm happy with the direction Squads sounds are going.

Can't wait to see the sound reflection system being implemented, will definitely give different types of rifles their distinct sounds in sporadic fire.(Video below). 
Only other thing I want to hear, is metallic sounds from moving weapon parts being a little more prominent.

Hi there Anders

What I mmean by ambient sounds moving and being dynamic is that the sound fx that  you hear in game (e. birds and crickets/other insects and wind rustling through the trees) simply play from one static  direction towards you, no matter where you are; or where you're looking at. So if you hear a bird chirping to your right, If you turn to your east  you'll keep hearing the bird from your right side since it's the same file basically playing.
What I'd like to hear in squad is that environment soundscape change and rotate around you so If you hear a cluster of crickets to your left side on the  mountains or  the wind howling  in a vallie to your right, facing those directions will make the fx mentioned to play in both channels (in case of a two channel setup) so the soundscape adjusts according to where you're facing.
I'm not sure how this should be done technically, Maybe custom zones defined on the map which have different audio files attached to them, coordinate-based audio emitters and the mix of dynamic sounds and static ones that we currently have could achieve this. Then there could be careful mixes and probably lots of code to make them blend perfectly together.
I don't know how practical this is; I'm just throwing words without knowing the limitations of the engine and resources. Also what's actually planned for the game might not be up to this scope, We might have very high expectations.

What I suggested is done perfectly in some new games (GTA V for e.g.) but honestly Squad players might not really notice or just not care for this kinda stuff; What I know is that They do however pay lots  of  attention to sounds, There's already three topics created about  sounds within two weeks already! In fact I think being sound designer  of Squad is a very tough job compared to other games; There's so much feedback and suggestions from players.
Keep up the good work
Cheers

Edited by Hadi

2 hours ago, Dubs said:

Firearm sounds in Squad are probably the most accurate I've heard in a vanilla game, they're not perfect, but they're good. All is WIP and I got faith in Anders! Most games over do the bass in gun shots, giving it that hollywood effect, or that low quality helmet cam effect.

Having experience in real life with firearms(18 years experience) from hunting as a youngin', to military service, to owning my own weapons. I'm happy with the direction Squads sounds are going.

Can't wait to see the sound reflection system being implemented, will definitely give different types of rifles their distinct sounds in sporadic fire.(Video below). 
Only other thing I want to hear, is metallic sounds from moving weapon parts being a little more prominent.

damn i had not seen that video, thats pretty impressive! Cant wait for it

20 hours ago, anders said:

Hi, what do you mean by that? Stereo soundscape? 1p or 3p? If it's stereo, then it's what I'm doing and the sounds will sound best that way, but it will never "move" when turning. It's meant to have details/reflections in 2 channels.
About OP post. No I dissagree after experiencing different calibers irl. I never consider youtube clips. I hate camera mics or cheap zoom mics for recording gunfire. It's not the design path I'm taking. I'm looking at how close you would get to IRL experience. And it's a very very hard task, I tell you, especially when I'm at the same time, trying to please the massive crowd of ears. :)

Do you know how much longer it will take the new UE4 sound engineer to rewrite the code? Taxi said in an interview that this is holding you back from finalizing any sounds or even doing dynamic reflection.

On 2016-12-02 at 0:29 PM, Tillee said:

Not being a sound-designer it's hard to describe, especially when assuming everybodies brains process sound differently. But compared to the previous versions and my experience with foreign gun familiarization, the AK's current sound just lacks a bit of... punch...

It previously did sound heavier. I really like the current sound as well, so no worries at all, but i p

I don't know really. It seems that Epic are going to rewrite their audio volume code, so either we wait for Epic or we make our own code. Still abit diffused about it, but I will work for it to be there as my top priority as it will change alot of what people are used to hear, especially "inside vs. outside" sounds.

Thanks for the inside look anders!
Love your interaction with the community, and can't wait for the Mine/IED sounds. ;)

yeah the sonic cracks in squad only happen when the bullet is literally inches away from you, and even then it sometimes still never happens

the cracks in squad need to happen when the bullet is farther away.  in real life they're actually quite loud.  

maybe the devs don't have the cracks work like they do irl because bullet cracks are barely ever featured in any movies or video games (arma is the only game I can think of, although battlefield 3 and 4 had cracks, but only for the sniper bullets) and I guess they think it would be confusing for the players.

also, if they made the bullet cracks in squad more like real life, I think getting suppressed by an LMG or 50 cal would be 10x scarier

(skip to 2:56 if the timestamp doesn't work.  the crack is the supersonic bullet cutting through the air, and the thump after the crack is the actual muzzle report from the rifle, since the bullet is traveling faster than the speed of the gunshot sound)

Edited by Mannex

On 12/2/2016 at 6:53 AM, Dubs said:

I remember this.  sounds incredible, I hope they can get some of this in the game

Edited by Mannex

@anders

do you have  weapon sound bites from versions 3 to current?   was thinking could ask the masses to vote on what they perceive as most authentic.

I gotta say, even though I like to be bound into development as well, that this should not happen.
Anders is the sound guy, it's his vision he is realising , and I've got full trust in him and the OWI team to deliver the greatest stuff.

People would vote only for the coolest sounding clips anyway.
I'd say rhat most people here in Squad never shot a gun in real life, be it on a range or in service, or heard bullets whizzing by.

11 hours ago, Tillee said:

People would vote only for the coolest sounding clips anyway.
I'd say rhat most people here in Squad never shot a gun in real life, be it on a range or in service, or heard bullets whizzing by.

Me for one ;)

And that's nothing to be ashamed about... ;)

But I like games not sounding like Hollywood movies. :P

my post was a jab at the masses, i meant to follow up with it. dang head cold got me slow.

23 hours ago, Mannex said:

yeah the sonic cracks in squad only happen when the bullet is literally inches away from you, and even then it sometimes still never happens

the cracks in squad need to happen when the bullet is farther away.  in real life they're actually quite loud.  

maybe the devs don't have the cracks work like they do irl because bullet cracks are barely ever featured in any movies or video games (arma is the only game I can think of, although battlefield 3 and 4 had cracks, but only for the sniper bullets) and I guess they think it would be confusing for the players.

also, if they made the bullet cracks in squad more like real life, I think getting suppressed by an LMG or 50 cal would be 10x scarier

(skip to 2:56 if the timestamp doesn't work.  the crack is the supersonic bullet cutting through the air, and the thump after the crack is the actual muzzle report from the rifle, since the bullet is traveling faster than the speed of the gunshot sound)

We do have that actually. We have 3 sets. Far, medium and really close sets of different sounds per caliber.

yeah, they sound great (much better than arma's cracks) but the round has to fly so close for you to hear them

at 10 seconds in the video below, he takes incoming 50 cal fire, which creates the cracks, but after he moves only 10-15 feet to the left, the cracks stop completely

38 minutes ago, Mannex said:

yeah, they sound great (much better than arma's cracks) but the round has to fly so close for you to hear them

at 10 seconds in the video below, he takes incoming 50 cal fire, which creates the cracks, but after he moves only 10-15 feet to the left, the cracks stop completely

Then it must be sounds culling out because of priorities... Just tested myself and those are beeing heard much further away. I will investigate more. :)

also a bit off topic, but while you're here, I know the Unreal engine folks are going to be completely re-doing the entire audio system over the next few months which sounds cool

do you have any insider info on what that could mean for squad?  I know people were saying that it will improve AMD CPU performance, but anything cool in terms of new processing/effects?