Fenrir   

Every since I started playing, I've always tried to think of a ranking system; that didn't make it just another FPS multiplayer "CoD" copy cat/rip off. Some had to do with only lvling up when you win a game, while losing a game would either do nothing; or you'd be penalized and face the possibility of being demoted (similar to how ranked matches work in MOBAS). The only problem with this is some times, you'll join a game and it'll be close to being over and would make joining each server a bit risky. A good offset for this would be not counting those matches, but there are times when you'll join an almost full server, and when the game is over; everyone disconnects, which in return makes that server baron and boring. Obviously this could be possible further down the line, but who knows.

Aside from that one, I recently just came up with one that isn't a ranking system, but a "Rating System". This is great for every class, but mainly SL (Squad Leaders). There are many times where I'll get into a game, and I'll recognize SL from a game I had played with days, if not a full week ago; and know he is a good leader. There have even been times where I've been recognized (some good and some bad). What if there was a way, where at the end of each match (unless you were only in the game for 10 minutes or less) everyone gets the opportunity to rate their SQUAD members and ONLY THEIR SQUAD members, on either a scale of 1-10 or even custom titles (that pass a profanity filter) i.e: Great SL, Horrible Medic, Troll, Follows Orders, Team Player, Crap Mic, ext., While SL can rate other SL. Then once a title is made (Green being good ones, red being bad ones) it appears next to there name when scrolled over it in the player menu or at the end of a match. At which point, if there is a title there that a player likes and agrees with, the can give it a +1. If they don't, they can give it a -1, good or bad. For example, if you had a great SL and you see someone gave him the title "Great SL" you can +1 that, but then you see "Bad SL" or "Bad Mic" and you didn't see any of those to be true, you can give them a -1. If a negative title gets enough -1s, it will be removed. This would be great for any player/class. Good Medic, Great Scout, Team Player, No Mic, Lone Wolf, CoD Player (lawl). Adding something like this makes it so we have a ranking system with out any type of XP. Players can maintain a their "Rank" in being a good medic, SL, or just a good player in general. And if a player has a negative (red) title they want to get rid of, the have know exactly what to focus on. Whether its buying a new mic or simply realizing THIS ISN'T FREAKING CoD!! There's a lot of room for trolling, but I feel like a majority of the community takes this game pretty serious and it wouldn't be taken advantage of. 

Please give me your feedback on what your thoughts on these ranking/rating systems and even some ranking systems that you've thought of. 

I personally dont understand why people need any sort of ranking or rating system in a game like this.

I play this game for the fun and intense experience it provides and so do the majority of the players, once you involve ranks and ratings you'll end up with players just looking to rank up or get their rating higher by play in their own little squad and +1 each other just so their rating is higher.

With you idea there are so many holes, whats stopping me from being in a squad for 25mins then my mates join the server i start a new squad and we all play the rest of the game out, which squad rates me?

What happens if you are playing really well and getting along with everyone and the SL's mate joins but cant fit in the squad so he kicks you out of the squad or asks you to leave it to make room for him and you have to go else where and join another, does the the new squad rate?

Anyways like a said above any sort of ranking or rating system that can be seen in the server will cause issues, there is plans for a basic stats section but none of the stats will be visible in a round.

Rating systems are the worst addition to a tactical  shooter. OP just made the point, you get to know the good SLs just by playing alongside them, they don't need to be rated.

No ratings system ever please.

Edited by lightspeed

Fenrir   

I can understand both points. I play for the fun and overall experience as well, but what's wrong with wanting a little progression in the game? 

And nothing is stopping you from waiting until your friends join your server and leaving a SQUAD to join them. The only SQUAD that can rank you is the one you're in. And if you switch SQUADS even though you; and the SQUAD you're in is doing great, then that's on you for switching. 

If you're getting along with your SQUAD mates, that usual means your getting along with your SL. If his mates join, he'll probably just leave and make a new SQUAD. 

This system definitely has holes in it, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with trial and error. 

Is a ranking/rating system absolutely necessary, no; not at all. This game is great the way it is, however. Progression is never a bad thing, unless it's like CoD.  

Smee   

Maybe a rating system that only you have, so you have a reminder of whom you don't want to play with. But then again your never see any chance of improvement from players. 

Occasionally when I SL, I wish I could recommend squad members for medals or some such.  Even if it was only server specific.  Calling people out at the end of a match is great, but I'd like every SL thereafter to know those members performed above and beyond, and wouldn't mind writing reports, or better yet replay Squad Recorder :) 

Darthy   

Why not have real military ranks and you get them based on how long you've played, how many many matches you've won and if you've been part of a squad that was the top squad, the game doesn't tell you how far you are from ranking up but eventually you get a higher rank. This could also help people identify how good others are and if you're in the hands of a good squad leader, medic or other roles. 

suds   

I'd like lots of end of round stats but nothing persistent which is built into the game.

Allow the end of round stats to be grabbed by a web service that can be accessed if people want them. This takes pressure off devs and gives lots of options to independent web/database folk. The best stats site will become the most popular.

This gives persistence if people want it without effecting gameplay.  

16 hours ago, Darthy said:

Why not have real military ranks and you get them based on how long you've played, how many many matches you've won and if you've been part of a squad that was the top squad, the game doesn't tell you how far you are from ranking up but eventually you get a higher rank. This could also help people identify how good others are and if you're in the hands of a good squad leader, medic or other roles. 

Because a ranking system doesn't do any of the things people think it does.

Knowing the time they spent ingame tells you absolutely nothing about other players in Squad. You may have 300-400 hours played and still be a terrible squad leader (I serve as a living proof, with almost 500 hours played I still have ways to go), you may have won a 1000 matches but it's extremely difficult if not impossible to accurately determine how much an individual player out of 30-50 player team contributed to each victory, also how exactly could you determine which squad was the best squad? The point system in its current state is extremely flawed and having the most points doesn't really mean anything.

Addition of a ranking system would only give more ammo to the egotistical "I'm a higher rank, so I don't really have to listen to you" douches, while providing no information about the actual skill level of players. Being a good player in Squad has more to do with personal qualities than with hours played, and you can't quantify those with a ranking system.

If you desperately need a progression system, you may use the MultiSquid's Squad Ranking™

1. Learn the basics of the game
  2. Learn the ropes of squad leading
  3. Become a respected player within the community
  4. Get into a clan
  5. Become a respected squad leader within your clan
  6. Win one of the community events with your clanmates
  7. Become an officer or a person of authority within your clan
  8. Contine winning the community events, become a widely recognized squad leader (top rank, super master diamond global general or whatever)
Edited by MultiSquid

you can't rank a player from a game, unless he has got like a million matches down... he will only be responsible for 1/50th of his own score, due to his teammates. This is a big problem in games like overwatch and counterstrike even where you only play 6/5 v 6/5.

I think its best to leave the rankings to the clan matches. Just play the game to have fun!

I wouldnt mind a "history stats" at all like "i have killed 25 BTR's in all my playing time" and stuff like that, but actual progression/rank system... i don't like the idea really, and if stuff like achievements are implemented people will start doing crazy stuff to get those achievements instead of playing to win.

Keep it raw, reminds me of the time before CoD4 came out that started this whole progression/rank up trend in FPS. Back when you would play a game just to have fun, and not to prove anything to people browsing your profile or seeing your new skins.

Edited by Shovely Joe

On 29/11/2016 at 5:43 AM, ChanceBrahh said:

I personally dont understand why people need any sort of ranking or rating system in a game like this.

I play this game for the fun and intense experience it provides and so do the majority of the players, once you involve ranks and ratings you'll end up with players just looking to rank up or get their rating higher by play in their own little squad and +1 each other just so their rating is higher.

With you idea there are so many holes, whats stopping me from being in a squad for 25mins then my mates join the server i start a new squad and we all play the rest of the game out, which squad rates me?

What happens if you are playing really well and getting along with everyone and the SL's mate joins but cant fit in the squad so he kicks you out of the squad or asks you to leave it to make room for him and you have to go else where and join another, does the the new squad rate?

Anyways like a said above any sort of ranking or rating system that can be seen in the server will cause issues, there is plans for a basic stats section but none of the stats will be visible in a round.

You could have to so when you loaded up ir tells you what role and fraction you play most as then when your in game people can ask for yourain role as you join a squad the sl gets a list of names with the main role they play so he can see code who takes what role? He would be Sergeant by default he then choices a fireteamleast leader temporary rank of private first class USA or lance corporal for russai /UK and do military and insurgents or could be scout leader

The commander if that match would be second lieutenant this ranks would all he temporary on a game to game basics!? Thoughts?

@Dls Samuel I agree SL being able to view playtime would be a good feature. +1 Do not like any "ranks" attached to it. Just able to view playtime that is it.

TO ADD: I am not sure what its like irl but I also think when someone makes a squad, he decides, before it appears created, what roles to allow in his squad. He can have 3 LAT slots but other roles will be unavailable. Or just basic infantry with a GL, an AR, 2 medics an SL and 6 riflemen. Nothing else is available. Or there could be a LAT squad but they wouldnt have any medics. 1 SL and 2 LATs. More diversity with specialized squad locked groups.

Edited by madcat768

1 hour ago, madcat768 said:

@Dls Samuel I agree SL being able to view playtime would be a good feature. +1 Do not like any "ranks" attached to it. Just able to view playtime that is it.

TO ADD: I am not sure what its like irl but I also think when someone makes a squad, he decides, before it appears created, what roles to allow in his squad. He can have 3 LAT slots but other roles will be unavailable. Or just basic infantry with a GL, an AR, 2 medics an SL and 6 riflemen. Nothing else is available. Or there could be a LAT squad but they wouldnt have any medics. 1 SL and 2 LATs. More diversity with specialized squad locked groups.

What I mean is the ranks are all temporary for eachbgame so say I'm squad leading I get a temporary rank of. Sergeant as in most squads world wide my sic aka fore team leader would be lance corporal all others privates and commander would be a second lieutenant or the platoon leader with a diamond on the map squads with restricted roles could put people of playing in that squad of course I see the benefits but don't believe the dwvs would allow that servers could do this in a way ATM by only restriction on what roles can he able to use and how many so any more would just be over kill

You know for those guys who like to collect things or get rewarded when they win with something....I got an idea....how about every time you get say 50 wins you are rewarded a tattoo for your character, say there could be like 50 different tattoos made up... Take you long time to collect them all, but you can only show one at a time on your character....it just helps the incintive to win which is the objective...just an idea.  Do not know where you would wear the tattoos though...find a spot.  :) Tattoos could be cool. Nobody be selfish, you have to rack up team wins.

This is like a rank system where tattoo indicates how many wins under your belt....

Edited by XRobinson

On 01/12/2016 at 1:01 AM, MultiSquid said:

Because a ranking system doesn't do any of the things people think it does.

Knowing the time they spent ingame tells you absolutely nothing about other players in Squad. .... The point system in its current state is extremely flawed and having the most points doesn't really mean anything.

Addition of a ranking system would only give more ammo to the egotistical "I'm a higher rank, so I don't really have to listen to you" douches, while providing no information about the actual skill level of players. Being a good player in Squad has more to do with personal qualities than with hours played, and you can't quantify those with a ranking system.

If you desperately need a progression system, you may use the MultiSquid's Squad Ranking™

1. Learn the basics of the game
  2. Learn the ropes of squad leading
  3. Become a respected player within the community
  4. Get into a clan
  5. Become a respected squad leader within your clan
  6. Win one of the community events with your clanmates
  7. Become an officer or a person of authority within your clan
  8. Contine winning the community events, become a widely recognized squad leader (top rank, super master diamond global general or whatever)

+100, O'tentacled One

On 01/12/2016 at 1:18 AM, Shovely Joe said:

I think its best to leave the rankings to the clan matches. Just play the game to have fun!
Keep it raw, reminds me of the time before CoD4 came out that started this whole progression/rank up trend in FPS. Back when you would play a game just to have fun, and not to prove anything to people browsing your profile or seeing your new skins. <<(and not to stroke your narcissistic self)

and + this too!

I think Squad is NOT about stats and rankings.

I'm also sure it don't need them.

This game is about setting up a team of 9 random guys and making it work. It's a perfect experience and ranking could destroy it. It does not matter how many guys you make KIA, how fast you shoot or how great leader you are. Who wins match counts only - and this does not need ranks. 

If a medic/SL/anyone is playing bad, let him know about it and tell him what he can do to be better. Making "ranks" and "voting rating system" will just hurt newcommers or 'weekend warriors' as they will be bashed by negative votes because they are not a top guns in this game - and than what? Will you throw out from team someone who is a bad player? Why? Give the poor guy time to learn and adapt. 

I literally hate all kind of rankings. 

@Dls Samuel ok i understand now. I like ur idea, yeah showing rank including when u speak on comms would be nice. And u are right that system of having what ever roles u want available would be nice but probably to powerful. I was thinking every certain kind of slot required points and u gain a point by how many riflemen u have slotted? Idk.    

@XRobinson tattoos every 50 wins is a cool idea. It would be too much to have certain factions uniquely tattoed though i think u should just select from a small menu where u want it on a character regardless of faction or something. They did say they would have weapon skins though? Which i think is really kind of weird and not a good fit for this game. But whatever. As long as it aint rainbow-cottencandy with sprinkles and cherries on insurgent Aks I wont mind too much. If it makes a gun look like another kind of gun though i think that is stupid. Tattoos are much better than gun skins for sure in this kind of game. Or maybe stamps like, u win 50 matches on this map u get a postcard of the map. U win another 50 on that same map u get another post card. Same for role kits u get 50 wins with one and u get a card or something? Whatever it is gunskins are probably the worst option they could have choose considering its a tactical shooter.

Edited by madcat768

So you mean like a pijtbsystem for the teaam one point for rifleman and medic sl no points till one squad is full then bravo charlie etc would cost to points etc

My idea of ranks is it is only for that match there for if your got 3 squad leaders they are all sergeant for that game each picks a fireteamleast leader with a temporary rank for that match and the leading squad say 1st squad is platoon commander for that match that means people know the chain of command for that match but its not ur actually rank if that makes sense