DanielNL

Fog versions of eastern EU maps! :)

Ok here I finally managed to create two fog versions,

- Fools Road AAS 1 fog https://ufile.io/6a3292,

- Gorodok AAS 2 fog https://ufile.io/0735c

please, dear OWI, integrate them into the main-game.

This is what it looks like (imagine the tension, seeing some vague contours of players moving and you're not sure if they are friendlies... ;) ):

Fools Road:

highresscreenshot00001.png

highresscreenshot00002.png

highresscreenshot00003.png

highresscreenshot00004.png

highresscreenshot00005.png

highresscreenshot00006.png

highresscreenshot00007.png

highresscreenshot00008.png

Gorodok:

highresscreenshot00009.png

highresscreenshot00010.png

highresscreenshot00011.png

highresscreenshot00012.png

highresscreenshot00013.png

Edited by DanielNL

They are visually appealing but I imagine playing them would just be annoying for me.

Limiting the visual range of players with fog is something that should be done very sparingly because it's our main sense ingame. When it is a light fog that doesn't impact vision and is just for atmosphere then it's not an issue, but your examples are really dramatic.

32 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

It would support troop movements even more, more surprise attacks, less routine combat! :)

This would be true at first, but as the novelty wears off and a new routine develops it would lead to annoying random encounter style combat where players are randomly running through the fog occasionally being surprised by other players also running through the fog.

Without fog you need to carefully think through troop movement and use the environment to conceal your squad as much as possible, with fog you would just run straight to where you want to go and just hope the  enemy isn't in your path.

15 minutes ago, Stom said:

with fog you would just run straight to where you want to go and just hope the  enemy isn't in your path.

Would you run straight? Nice, then I will always tell my squadmembers to cover the obvious route of attack, then you'll get shot running towards our position... :P Ofc in the fog you also have to think and move around objectives, but not as far as without fog.

And it's realistic :) (Imagine a "hardcore" Squad server setting where there are no friendly units marked on minimap... :) )

Statement/reply by a developer please about OWI team thoughts (internal tests?) on fog versions of these maps (and new EU map).

A little to much fog on Gorodok for me, but it looks definitely awesome, zombie weather :)

11 hours ago, TempestMkV said:

What about the RAIN in some maps??? Don't know why there is none here

I don't know if OWI already has rain working in UE4... (afaik rain isn't a default feature of UE4 but must be added somehow) And who knows how much performance impact it will have... :P

It would be interesting, if it were random. In this case, the weather would change during the match, then the fog would dissipate slowly. He being present 100% of the match, would be a mess.

Maybe a sandstorm in some desert maps too!

And fog version of Yehorivka too ofc. :D (set to 8000m height)

highresscreenshot00000.png

Edited by DanielNL