O'Conner

SQUAD is about team work..right?

12 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

If not seeing their K/D honestly scares them then I don't really care if they're playing or not lol. They can come back once they get over it.

100% agreed people care way to much about individual K/D when they should be move concerned with the overall performance of the squad. no issue with showing squad stats as a whole.

23 hours ago, Assifuah said:

You won't find any lonewolves on a server with active admins. K/D displayed or not, it doesn't matter.

The truth is, lonewolves are pretty much dead these days. If you lonewolf in a squad, any SL that cares about the gameplay of Squad will notice it and will warn/kick you.

If you lonewolf while unassigned/without being in a squad, you get warned by admins to either join a squad or get kicked for not playing as a team.

If lonewolfing is condoned/encouraged/ignored on a server then it's clearly not the server for you and you can find lots of others.

Individual K/D does not do anything negative in Squad.

This is not the case in a normal server. Optimistic outlook on squad, one I wish they would enforce more strictly. Plus "lone wolfing" isn't just one guy off the map by himself, Its also the guy not using his mic doing what he wants without regard of what his squad is doing. look at PR. Look at how the micro decisions of each player. Then do that same comparison to squad. Squad is missing something in its combat that pushes for teamwork outside of artificial reasons.

Just because squad moves south, and he also moves south, doesn't mean hes using teamwork.

Edited by KCIV

9 hours ago, KCIV said:

This is not the case in a normal server. Optimistic outlook on squad, one I wish they would enforce more strictly. Plus "lone wolfing" isn't just one guy off the map by himself, Its also the guy not using his mic doing what he wants without regard of what his squad is doing. look at PR. Look at how the micro decisions of each player. Then do that same comparison to squad. Squad is missing something in its combat that pushes for teamwork outside of artificial reasons.

Just because squad moves south, and he also moves south, doesn't mean hes using teamwork.

Pretty much this.

On 11/24/2016 at 6:22 PM, O'Conner said:

well clearly you missed it we were talking about individual K/D there would still be squad K/D. As far as going up eh not really more like the people who's sole focus is their own K/D and everything else is irrelevant may migrate else where. Note: No one here thinks this is a one size fits all solution so take it easy there jack.

Never even mentioned which K/D and you jumped the gun. I said removing K/D (didn't mention which) wouldn't boost teamwork. How would it? It doesn't make any sense.

46 minutes ago, Fir3w411 said:

Pretty much this.

Never even mentioned which K/D and you jumped the gun. I said removing K/D (didn't mention which) wouldn't boost teamwork. How would it? It doesn't make any sense.

Well I guess you've been lucky then about 50% of the time I hear someone mention their own K/D and/or break off from the squad after mentioning their K/D and do their own thing. Its either that or when the game ends someone mentions how much their back is killing them from carrying their team its funny because when I look their kills are up but as far as points go they are far from the lead in that aspect but to them that doesn't mean a thing. So to ask the question what good would it do to keep it other than the obvious?

That still doesn't show that removing it will improve anything.

I've seen (plenty of times) people brag about K/D who also carry their team. 

1 hour ago, Fir3w411 said:

That still doesn't show that removing it will improve anything.

I've seen (plenty of times) people brag about K/D who also carry their team. 

You still didn't answer the question. plus this game is about team work why should it matter who carries what the games called squad not rambo

4 hours ago, O'Conner said:

Well I guess you've been lucky then about 50% of the time I hear someone mention their own K/D and/or break off from the squad after mentioning their K/D and do their own thing. Its either that or when the game ends someone mentions how much their back is killing them from carrying their team its funny because when I look their kills are up but as far as points go they are far from the lead in that aspect but to them that doesn't mean a thing. So to ask the question what good would it do to keep it other than the obvious?

That depends on the player and nothing else, they won't change no matter if they see the score or not. The other day i got a 45 kill 4 death and 1099 points, i already posted it, but i thougth that i only got around 15 kills when the round was about to end, i was surprised when i saw my score. I really don't get why you don't want it.

6 hours ago, Skully172 said:

That depends on the player and nothing else, they won't change no matter if they see the score or not. The other day i got a 45 kill 4 death and 1099 points, i already posted it, but i thougth that i only got around 15 kills when the round was about to end, i was surprised when i saw my score. I really don't get why you don't want it.

I see what you are saying but from what you just said it doesn't sound like you are solely playing squad to rack up a K/D. Your right though it is the player and that's my point I don't want THAT player who is there solely for the K/D and will bravo foxtrot everyone in the squad just so he can increase his own score with no regard to the rest of the squad. A prime example would be you are trying to move slowly and tactfully through an objective and you always have that 1 or 2 guys that just want to go go go the people on that next objective are in contact I need to rack up my K/D why are we still at this objective we don't need to defend it "even though we just finished an engagement". Then I have to stop and explain that this isn't call of duty and get the answer I wish this was like call of duty it would be better...... does that help you to understand better?

On 25/11/2016 at 5:29 PM, KCIV said:

Like I said, seek out a better server that provides the gameplay experience you're after.

This is what everyone who wants a teamwork oriented experience is ACTUALLY doing. I've seen plenty of free weekend/new guys who come to the servers that have active admins and a good overall atmosphere and say this is awesome and the teamwork aspect of Squad is great.

There is no need to "force" teamwork because it already flourishes within the game itself. With time, of course you can compare it to PR. However, throwing the "look at PR" line at me does absolutely nothing because I've played it for years as well, but I recognise the fact that Squad is still yet to change drastically with the coming major updates and any gameplay related changes that might also occur.

The final line being: go to a good server. You CAN'T transform every single player into a team player but you can show the ones that want to be team players where to go. Someone's attitude and trollish/lonewolf/anti team play behaviour is down to them on a personal level, not the game.

The good guys are continually recognising the difference of gameplay quality between a random, rarely admined server vs the active ones. The rest of them, whether they care to play Squad the Squad way or are just trolls, will sit there and rot. That's as simple as it gets.

I love this game so much. Even now, having ridiculous hours in this game, the matches that make me come back still occur.

A loss yesterday, a win today, both very close games <40 ticket difference) in which my squad performed very well. When even the losing games are that enjoyable, that means they must be doing SOMETHING right, for some people at least.

Really had a blast. Of course I too run into games that have 0 organisation and sometimes end up in squads that are severely lackluster, and those game experiences really aren't fun. But it all depends on the squad leaders. So I squadlead, and with one other squadleader in the pack we are contageous enough to get the 3rd one to go along, and BOOM you have 3 squads working together. Fighting against a team that won the previous 2 games by over 300-400 tickets. And we end up winning by 17 tickets.

Teamwork is all this game is about, and unfortunately you cannot really 'force' it, but this game does all it can to make it happen - the only missing ingredient is you - so get some experience, step up to the plate, and lead your team to victory :-)

As for k/d, I believe I was on top by far on both those games, but I couldn't care less. We had fun and we did our job and that's all that mattered, even if we lose in the end. Good fun.

11 minutes ago, Karm said:

I love this game so much. Even now, having ridiculous hours in this game, the matches that make me come back still occur.

A loss yesterday, a win today, both very close games <40 ticket difference) in which my squad performed very well. When even the losing games are that enjoyable, that means they must be doing SOMETHING right, for some people at least.

Really had a blast. Of course I too run into games that have 0 organisation and sometimes end up in squads that are severely lackluster, and those game experiences really aren't fun. But it all depends on the squad leaders. So I squadlead, and with one other squadleader in the pack we are contageous enough to get the 3rd one to go along, and BOOM you have 3 squads working together. Fighting against a team that won the previous 2 games by over 300-400 tickets. And we end up winning by 17 tickets.

Teamwork is all this game is about, and unfortunately you cannot really 'force' it, but this game does all it can to make it happen - the only missing ingredient is you - so get some experience, step up to the plate, and lead your team to victory :-)

As for k/d, I believe I was on top by far on both those games, but I couldn't care less. We had fun and we did our job and that's all that mattered, even if we lose in the end. Good fun.

Exactly! your last sentence right there is what im talking about who cares about the K/D you had fun. So lets get rid of individual K/D for the people who are there for the right reasons it wont even matter to them that its not there. It eliminates a problem that we shouldn't even be having with people who let their ego get in the way of them not only having fun but ruining it for everyone around them.

There is a need to define 'lonewolf' if you're going to be kicking people.

I'm regularly an effective part of my squad but I won't be stacked up on a wall with them or necessarily looking/firing in the same direction.

I'm a huge fan of the L shaped ambush. I've had SL's (generally not great ones) saying that I better get back to my squad and/or kick me from squad.

Being in a squad doesn't mean trying to be 1 giant green blob on the map. Maneuvering and positioning are so much more valuable than aiming skill in this game currently imo. Sadly an L shape ambush is generally my squad getting slaughtered in a blob of green and me firing 90deg to them and cleaning up.

Also if we're spawning on a FOB/rally and straight lining it into an attack marker or known enemy stronghold/fob/whatever and keep dying over and over, but the SL thinks its great because we're sticking together.. you're doing your team a great disservice. 'something something the definition of madness'.

I'd rather kick anyone who is wasting a potential 40mm or RPG slot by being a marksman, regardless of them sticking with squad or not.

Tangent:

FOB positioning, reactivity and maneuvering determine the outcome of games right now. So many times the whole team is dying over the attack flag while we get back capped, then there's zero spawn points in place for a quick retreat to defend or ambush, everyone pours out of main and we lose 2 flags in the time it could take to successfully defend 1.

SLs need to look at themselves before they get shitty at people not 'green blobbing'.

No mic/marksman kit/way off course is kickable imo though.

Edited by GonzoPR

1 hour ago, GonzoPR said:

There is a need to define 'lonewolf' if you're going to be kicking people.

I'm regularly an effective part of my squad but I won't be stacked up on a wall with them or necessarily looking/firing in the same direction.

I'm a huge fan of the L shaped ambush. I've had SL's (generally not great ones) saying that I better get back to my squad and/or kick me from squad.

Being in a squad doesn't mean trying to be 1 giant green blob on the map. Maneuvering and positioning are so much more valuable than aiming skill in this game currently imo. Sadly an L shape ambush is generally my squad getting slaughtered in a blob of green and me firing 90deg to them and cleaning up.

Also if we're spawning on a FOB/rally and straight lining it into an attack marker or known enemy stronghold/fob/whatever and keep dying over and over, but the SL thinks its great because we're sticking together.. you're doing your team a great disservice. 'something something the definition of madness'.

I'd rather kick anyone who is wasting a potential 40mm or RPG slot by being a marksman, regardless of them sticking with squad or not.

Tangent:

FOB positioning, reactivity and maneuvering determine the outcome of games right now. So many times the whole team is dying over the attack flag while we get back capped, then there's zero spawn points in place for a quick retreat to defend or ambush, everyone pours out of main and we lose 2 flags in the time it could take to successfully defend 1.

SLs need to look at themselves before they get shitty at people not 'green blobbing'.

No mic/marksman kit/way off course is kickable imo though.

It was defined in the messages above I guess you missed it. "lone wolf = Rambo not a team player AT ALL also known as a Bravo Foxtrot <<< look that one up) hope this helps get you up to speed.

2 hours ago, O'Conner said:

It was defined in the messages above I guess you missed it. "lone wolf = Rambo not a team player AT ALL also known as a Bravo Foxtrot <<< look that one up) hope this helps get you up to speed.

Wow ok, that was more of a general reply, don't get all butthurt because I offered my opinion. But thanks for replying like an ass to only my first line.

On 11/23/2016 at 10:28 PM, O'Conner said:

Why measure individual Kill/Death (K/D) performance? Instead of individual K/D why not get rid of it? It may curb the lone wolves who only play as a way to "rack up" K/D with no regard to how the game is played and have little concern to work together. Hopefully by getting rid of individual K/D it could help promote teamwork. Just to clarify I think having a squad overall K/D would be great as it would promote competitiveness between the squads the drive the overall objective of the game like working together and team work where I feel the individual K/D only promotes division. Just my two cents.

People who have that attitude of kills meaning everything don't need a K/D to play that way. 

1 hour ago, GonzoPR said:

Here's a video of me being an asshole lonewolf... and derping hard with the LAW haha.

Feel free to criticize.

https://youtu.be/PQDWJm9ShdQ

That's awesome  lol

I'm waiting for someone to mod out the weapon/vehicle restrictions, and turn SQUAD into a cheaper moddable Battlefield!

2 minutes ago, Verdin said:

That's awesome  lol

I'm waiting for someone to mod out the weapon/vehicle restrictions, and turn SQUAD into a cheaper moddable Battlefield!

God i truly hope that doesn't happen to be honest! I want more realism, more suppression, etc. I usually play with a group of known quantities and we work well together.

In pub games sometimes you just have to break free, my SL was trying to build a super fob (ie a giant target begging enemy to take our spawn point) so i buggered off to harass the enemy.

edit: I almost feel bad for the RPK guy in the window, he should have had me but i guess he didn't know about the sights v muzzle position thing :)

Edited by GonzoPR

I know people caring for their K/D is a problem(depending on the server) and players going solo not caring for their team aswell, but i have seen something new to me.This might not fit in here completly but, this is what i have seen in the last couple of games.

Point hoarding

In a few games I actually saw 3 out of 4 squads capaturing the first few flags together. Every single squadmember of those 3 squads, standing around at the first 2 flags, to gain points for the scoreboard. I tried to speak to them, but it was like talking to a brick wall. They absolutely refused to move on.

Is this a thing now? Did someone of you notice something similar?

An Answer for a question that might appear as the term "Lonewolf" was used quite often:

Yes my name is Lonewolf and no i dont go solo, i focus on teamplay.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Point hoarding

I don't see any good reason why Squad should even have points, points in videogames stopped making sense about 15-16 years ago (arcade games excluded), but game developers still cling to them. They're a relic from the past and they're only here because people are used to them, the same way we still nonsensically have individual k/d stats in a game that's supposed to focus on teamwork. Why do we need to see individual stats and points when there already are so many (and there will be even more) extremely important tasks one can undertake in Squad which contribute to the team in a substantial way yet don't include getting a lot of kills or points.

I'd also like you all to take a good look at the Overwatch for a second. There, my stats are only displayed to me, and nobody else, yet people still brag about them and think the stats are a valid argument about their performance. There's this thing called 'gold medal fallacy', where noobs think they're doing great and helping the team because they have the highest damage/kill stat in their team (recognizable by having a gold medal displayed next to your stats). As any good Overwatch player could explain in length, that is rarely the case, and these players usually just focus on getting high stats at the expense of every other player in their own team and when confronted about this, their usual answer is "But I have the most kills, obviously I'm doing everything I can here, we must be losing because of you guys". Now, I understand Overwatch is irrelevant to Squad as far as gameplay goes, but I want to point out that the erroneous player mentality when it comes to individual stats and what they mean for the team is pretty much the same in both games.

Edited by MultiSquid

2 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

I know people caring for their K/D is a problem(depending on the server) and players going solo not caring for their team aswell, but i have seen something new to me.This might not fit in here completly but, this is what i have seen in the last couple of games.

Point hoarding

In a few games I actually saw 3 out of 4 squads capaturing the first few flags together. Every single squadmember of those 3 squads, standing around at the first 2 flags, to gain points for the scoreboard. I tried to speak to them, but it was like talking to a brick wall. They absolutely refused to move on.

An Answer for a question that might appear as the term "Lonewolf" was used quite often:

New players do that, a lot. Know why? They have it drilled in their head that Squad is an objective and team based game, meaning sitting and capturing a point is what they get told by the majority of experienced players and it translates from "be a team player" OR "ptfo".

They're not experienced enough to know the meta of "one guy can cap a neutral flag" or all the other stuff. They're just sitting on an objective and think gaining points from it means they're playing for the team. It's only logical and you definitely cannot fault them for that.

53 minutes ago, MultiSquid said:

I don't see any good reason why Squad should even have points, points in videogames stopped making sense about 15-16 years ago (arcade games excluded), but game developers still cling to them. They're a relic from the past and they're only here because people are used to them, the same way we still nonsensically have individual k/d stats in a game that's supposed to focus on teamwork. Why do we need to see individual stats and points when there already are so many (and there will be even more) extremely important tasks one can undertake the game which contribute to the team in a substantial way yet don't include getting a lot of kills or points.

I'd like you all to take a look at the Overwatch for a second. There, my stats are only displayed to me, and nobody else, yet people still brag about them and think the stats are a valid argument about their performance. There's this thing called 'gold medal fallacy', where noobs think they're doing great and helping the team because they have the highest damage/kill stat in their team (recognizable by having a gold medal displayed next to your stats). As any good Overwatch player could explain in length, that is rarely the case, and these players usually just focus on getting high stats at the expense of every other player in their own team and when confronted about this, their usual answer is "But I have the most kills, obviously I'm doing everything I can here, we must be losing because of you guys". Now, I understand Overwatch is irrelevant to Squad as far as gameplay goes, but I want to point out that the erroneous player mentality when it comes to individual stats and what they mean for the team is pretty much the same in both games.

Years of research and studies will literally drop a knowledge bomb about achievements / points and the psychological effects it has on players, lol. The game isn't finished yet and, as you should obviously be able to tell, the scoring system / score board is nowhere near finished to the way the devs want it to be - they slowly added in a minute feature such as gaining points for dropping of supplies to an FOB.

INDIVIDUAL stats are important if you care about your performance. No, I'm not talking about "most points = MVP" or "most kills = carry", I'm talking about your individual performance which is relevant to YOU on a personal level. Right now, me being able to see my kills at the end of the round HELPS me identify where/what I did wrong during the round if I had an utterly crap match. It's relevant to what you do. Similar to how if you're doing crap in Overwatch as Reaper and you take a step back to look at the enemy team comp or what you're trying to achieve strat wise you change your character since it's clearly not working out.

Say one round you're playing regular rifleman role with an ACOG and you get 30 kills. Great, you're ensuring kills and bleeding tickets - if you got 30 kills then they're confirmed kills as well, meaning they were 100% contributing to ticket loss. All you did was stick around with SL, playing regularly.

Another round you're playing the same role, but you're assigned to do something like be the point man or take the higher ground but you only get 10 kills and more deaths. That right there in itself, AT THE END OF THE GAME WHEN IT'S RELEVANT and doesn't even affect your performance during the game, tells you that something was off and if you're an experienced player you will know exactly what it was if you're paying attention and analysing the situation.

The whole Overwatch explanation, while I'm aware of it since I play the game too, is completely irrelevant to Squad because you can't actually tell the amount of kills or deaths you have while the round is being played out.

All in all, the truth is stats are already being tracked and they're easy to track (if we did some searching on the forums before creating threads on old topics we'd see dev reponses). They'll most likely be shown on an individual level so players can monitor their performance / whatever factor they enjoy looking at. This topic has been beaten to death and there is no valid argument as to why showing something as simple as a K/D at the END of a round would have a negative enough impact on the game where it should be removed all together. Anyone who thinks otherwise is literally telling themselves lies in the back of their head. 

Here is one of many: 

5 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Point hoarding

4 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

I don't see any good reason why Squad should even have points, points in videogames stopped making sense about 15-16 years ago (arcade games excluded), but game developers still cling to them. They're a relic from the past and they're only here because people are used to them, the same way we still nonsensically have individual k/d stats in a game that's supposed to focus on teamwork. Why do we need to see individual stats and points when there already are so many (and there will be even more) extremely important tasks one can undertake in Squad which contribute to the team in a substantial way yet don't include getting a lot of kills or points.

I'd also like you all to take a good look at the Overwatch for a second. There, my stats are only displayed to me, and nobody else, yet people still brag about them and think the stats are a valid argument about their performance. There's this thing called 'gold medal fallacy', where noobs think they're doing great and helping the team because they have the highest damage/kill stat in their team (recognizable by having a gold medal displayed next to your stats). As any good Overwatch player could explain in length, that is rarely the case, and these players usually just focus on getting high stats at the expense of every other player in their own team and when confronted about this, their usual answer is "But I have the most kills, obviously I'm doing everything I can here, we must be losing because of you guys". Now, I understand Overwatch is irrelevant to Squad as far as gameplay goes, but I want to point out that the erroneous player mentality when it comes to individual stats and what they mean for the team is pretty much the same in both games.

I couldn't agree more with what both of you said and as far as overwatch goes I get what you are saying. As far as squad leaders not pushing off to the next objective that's pretty sad its come to as you say point hoarding but when the focus becomes less about team work and more about points and individual K/D I guess you cant expect much from people who cant get out of the Call of Duty mentality haha.

3 hours ago, Assifuah said:

New players do that, a lot. Know why? They have it drilled in their head that Squad is an objective and team based game, meaning sitting and capturing a point is what they get told by the majority of experienced players and it translates from "be a team player" OR "ptfo".

They're not experienced enough to know the meta of "one guy can cap a neutral flag" or all the other stuff. They're just sitting on an objective and think gaining points from it means they're playing for the team. It's only logical and you definitely cannot fault them for that.

Years of research and studies will literally drop a knowledge bomb about achievements / points and the psychological effects it has on players, lol. The game isn't finished yet and, as you should obviously be able to tell, the scoring system / score board is nowhere near finished to the way the devs want it to be - they slowly added in a minute feature such as gaining points for dropping of supplies to an FOB.

INDIVIDUAL stats are important if you care about your performance. No, I'm not talking about "most points = MVP" or "most kills = carry", I'm talking about your individual performance which is relevant to YOU on a personal level. Right now, me being able to see my kills at the end of the round HELPS me identify where/what I did wrong during the round if I had an utterly crap match. It's relevant to what you do. Similar to how if you're doing crap in Overwatch as Reaper and you take a step back to look at the enemy team comp or what you're trying to achieve strat wise you change your character since it's clearly not working out.

Say one round you're playing regular rifleman role with an ACOG and you get 30 kills. Great, you're ensuring kills and bleeding tickets - if you got 30 kills then they're confirmed kills as well, meaning they were 100% contributing to ticket loss. All you did was stick around with SL, playing regularly.

Another round you're playing the same role, but you're assigned to do something like be the point man or take the higher ground but you only get 10 kills and more deaths. That right there in itself, AT THE END OF THE GAME WHEN IT'S RELEVANT and doesn't even affect your performance during the game, tells you that something was off and if you're an experienced player you will know exactly what it was if you're paying attention and analysing the situation.

The whole Overwatch explanation, while I'm aware of it since I play the game too, is completely irrelevant to Squad because you can't actually tell the amount of kills or deaths you have while the round is being played out.

All in all, the truth is stats are already being tracked and they're easy to track (if we did some searching on the forums before creating threads on old topics we'd see dev reponses). They'll most likely be shown on an individual level so players can monitor their performance / whatever factor they enjoy looking at. This topic has been beaten to death and there is no valid argument as to why showing something as simple as a K/D at the END of a round would have a negative enough impact on the game where it should be removed all together. Anyone who thinks otherwise is literally telling themselves lies in the back of their head. 

Here is one of many: 

I see what your saying but what were talking about here is individual K/D you would still have squad based K/D. Something else I just thought of as well. Why at the end of the match must we listen to the mindless garble of everyone trying to talk at once honestly what it the purpose of that. I can understand typing but RIP headset users seriously.

I have already played in Insurgency (fast small map up close and personal action) server where we modified it heavily to make it proper among other mods we removed K/D from the scoreboard. While there was scepticism from alot of people in the beginning, everybody got used to it after 2 or 3 rounds and began to love it which also bringed the troop together.

In Squad, what matters is team achievement and not individualism. This game attracted people because of its presentation and heavy emphasis on teamwork. Let K/D be known, but not individual K/D, but a whole team/squads K/D. As a top killer or one of them each round I play I do not mind them get removed. And as an 1100h squad leader I would be glad if individual K/D was gone because from experience (even past ones) I can tell that people searching for their own, irrelevant, personal glory can never be trusted enough to do the task he is assigned to do. Because he will always chase his personal glory and get tunnel visioned by it rather than contributing to squads effort.

Stats like number of revives, flags neutrolised/captured, vehicle asset destroyed, points for not abandoning your unit, FOBs destroyed, tickets taken, minutes defended a flag etc. Would be much more valuable and good to know, would bring squads together, to stay and play together and strive for 1 single goal, together.

My 2 cents,

Cheers

Edited by Rainmaker