NikolaiLev

Map "keypad" coordinates: Numpad or phone pad?

Which format do YOU use?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Telephone pad or keyboard numpad?

• Telephone pad
    • Keyboard numpad

As many will know, precise coordinates are given in-game not only by stating the grid square an object is located in (i.e. Golf 9),  but also a "keypad" which represents one of 9 numbers oriented like a number pad.

Thing is, for the longest time I've been reporting grid coordinates using a telephone number pad as a basis for the orientation of these numbers.  But I've come to find that other people actually rely on the orientation of a keyboard numpad, which might make more intuitive sense as most people (though not myself) have keyboards with numpads right in front of them.

So, the question is, what have you been using?  I'm wondering if I've just been doing it wrong and this is a standard, or if there's a wide community disparity; if the latter is true, then I may post a suggestion for Squad's in-game map to have very subtle numbers on the smaller squares inside each grid reference.

For reference, here's the two different kinds of number pads; notice that the middle row (4, 5 and 6) are the same, but the top and bottom rows are simply switched:

telephone-sales.jpg

sre01.png

1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

The system comes from project reality. The developers clarified it for people by putting the system in the top left. Check this image

http://www.somua.com/forum/uploads/imgs/1395119858__prbf2_022.jpg

I'm not even sure it is from Project Reality as I've been using it for a long time in other games, like MechWarrior: Living Legends.

That said, modifying Squad's maps to have that little reference grid in the top left would be great, just to make sure everyone's on the same page.

I've been playing since January and I've never seen or heard of anyone using the telephone method. I don't think this is an issue.

4 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

I've been playing since January and I've never seen or heard of anyone using the telephone method. I don't think this is an issue.

Looks like it's time for me to change my method, then!  Thanks for the input, guys.

7 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

No, not an issue unless you're new to a game like Squad. After the recent free weekend my guess is their is a lot of players asking a similar question. The PR map reference clears things up simply and clearly any new player with a brain cell should pick it up quickly.