Sign in to follow this  
RaTzo

Got "That Feeling" again.

What is "That Feeling"? It's that feeling you get when you know gaming just changed again. 

I got That Feeling during the Squad Pre-Alpha when in a server with 8 or 10 people my squad was engaging another squad at the Radio Tower. We were flanking, using tactics, and everything felt real. I knew I couldn't go back to Battlefield at that moment. 

Previous games which have given me "that feeling" are Quake 2 multiplayer, RS6: Rogue Spear, Operation Flashpoint (Demo/Beta - the actual release wasn't as good as the pre-release), BF1942, Half-Life... and so on. 

I haven't been playing much Squad for quite some time now. I felt the game worked extremely well early on and then went through some hiccups on the way to Version 8. The devs have earned my trust and so I decided to just wait. Last night, after a month straight of long hours at work, I was able to try V8 and wow. 

Last night I watched a Squad walk behind a BTR through a poppy field toward a building from which we were receiving effective small arms fire. There was an extreme risk to the BTR if there had of been anyone with explosives, but it protected the squad and allowed the building to be taken. 

It was a moment of teamwork, combined arms, in a situation that felt real and immediate. There were real risks to everyone, and if it went wrong it would have cost us all a lot. Everyone involved seemed to feel all of this. This is what it feels like when you're executing a maneuver which has to be done but is risky. 

The little that I played V7 I didn't like how the vehicles were sitting in the game, but was sure the devs would sort it all out. Last night it felt right. It felt like they belonged in Squad. 

Not sure how anyone who has played like this could go back to BF where if you use a vehicle "correctly" it is unstoppable and if you aren't using it in that exact trollish way it is going to get evaporated immediately. 

RaTzo!!!! How are you man? Haven't seen you around these parts in a long while! 

Had a similar aha moment the first time I fired up v8 for the first time. Took a back seat for once and just watched the show. Was really something to finally watch those dynamics at play that we've watched grow from the old days. Especially in the last 2 patches, every new thing has had me more entranced and enthralled than a kid watching fireworks for the first time.

I joined squad and was promoted to SL... At that moment squad seemed unorganized but after some verbal effort people started to get responsive. In one part of match we were defending slums on Sumari. It was beautiful. Totally unknown names to me, worked like well oiled machine... Sectors were assigned and everyone stayed on their position for good few minutes even tho we haven't been in any heavy contact. Later on, I assigned small three man team to function as flanking element. They were north in fields. SL from another squad reported possible FOB location in NE compounds. Flanking team was sent in to check the area. They got into contact, I pulled few guys with me and tried to help them out. We eliminated few targets there and proceeded to compounds together. As it seems, FOB wasn't there and we only eliminated part of militia squad. Some of them started to pressure medic and MG that stayed in cap zone. We rushed back to help them out. It was nice to see how everyone was adaptable and followed orders... Anyway, we were overruned few times during that round and if I recall correctly, our team lose but it was really fun nevertheless.

I was only able to play few hours of V8 so far but I can totally relate to OP. And in those random pub matches I had, gameplay was superb. There was some good teamwork and effort. I'm really looking forward for some more free time so I can jump into game and play few more rounds...

And it's really nice to see so many servers populated...

5 hours ago, DocEast said:

RaTzo!!!! How are you man? Haven't seen you around these parts in a long while! 

Had a similar aha moment the first time I fired up v8 for the first time. Took a back seat for once and just watched the show. Was really something to finally watch those dynamics at play that we've watched grow from the old days. Especially in the last 2 patches, every new thing has had me more entranced and enthralled than a kid watching fireworks for the first time.

Doing well. Glad to see the game in such good shape. I feel like a complete noob playing though. Weird to not see anyone I know. I'm sure I will soon. 

2 hours ago, IrOnTaXi said:

Good to know some people dont think we are retarded.   :)

I didn't exactly say that. ;) 

1 hour ago, Sergeant.Roland. said:

Make Gaming Great Again...

#MGGA lol

1 hour ago, RaTzo said:

I might have "that feeling" but I've got to get back into paying attention. 2 TK's just now...:(

There's gotta be a solution for TKs.. they happen all the time and almost never get punished unless the guy is litterally massacring the whole team at main.

(if there's an admin on..)

Edited by Catindabox

12 hours ago, Catindabox said:

There's gotta be a solution for TKs.. they happen all the time and almost never get punished unless the guy is litterally massacring the whole team at main.

(if there's an admin on..)

Well in my case I was the one who did the TK's because I did not maintain awareness of where my team was operating. 

The solution to spawn TK'ing is admins on a server. If you're playing on a server where this is a problem and the admins are not dealing with it just go to another server. Squad servers are extremely expensive. If no one is playing on your server you're going to either learn how to have good admins or the server will be shut down. Problem solved. 

9 hours ago, RaTzo said:

Well in my case I was the one who did the TK's because I did not maintain awareness of where my team was operating. 

The solution to spawn TK'ing is admins on a server. If you're playing on a server where this is a problem and the admins are not dealing with it just go to another server. Squad servers are extremely expensive. If no one is playing on your server you're going to either learn how to have good admins or the server will be shut down. Problem solved. 

I'm saying that's the only type of TK that ever gets punished...

Most of the time because the people getting TKed don't know it and get frustrated instead of knowing to report suspicious TKs.

Edited by Catindabox

On 11/18/2016 at 3:21 PM, IrOnTaXi said:

Good to know some people dont think we are retarded.   :)

Sush you'll bring them out

That feeling is always there, it's just players that get jaded and games that get deprecated

It's called spirit

You lost that loving feeling whoa wow...Top Gun...

Edited by XRobinson
link dont work

Gotta say I have this same feeling. Had it when I just started MOHAA:SH and more recently with A2:DayZ.

It's the attention the players give it, the way they talk about it and the way they behave in-game. Looking at all the guides, pages and playerposts made on squad speaks of a lot of love for the game. I'm glad to be a (very small) part of it.

Im with OP. I haven't touched a PvP game for almost a decade because of the run n gun nature of play and limited teamwork. This is the pvp I've waited patiently for. Squad tactics where role and life matters. And with a focus on infantry based warfare.

I pray to God that the Devs ensure that they keep the game in such a way that run n gunners and lone wolves hate this game so they head back to  CoD and similar game types.

Edited by lightspeed

11 hours ago, lightspeed said:

This is the pvp I've waited patiently for. Squad tactics where role and life matters.

Agreed. 

This is the only game I've ever played where I wanted to get back to the fight because my squaddies needed me, not because I wanted to get back in the action myself.