Psyda

Weapon Sway and general difficulty vs realism

From the threads I've been reading people are really touchy about weapon sway, zoomed sensitivity, and headbob.

To begin this "rant" I should note that I do understand that everything is kinda hacked together at the moment and is all subject to change.

I believe that we need zoomed/scoped sensitivity.

Realism be damned, Playing PC games gets you used to a specific sensitivity. As of now the sensitivity "changes" when zooming in making it very difficult to get used to aiming which isn't raising the skill cap, it only makes it more random and frustrating.

The general method of scoped scaling is 1.0

That means if your scope zooms in 20% then your sensitivity slows down 20%. 

As of right now it's "broken" by not having this mechanic you zoom in 20% and your sensitivity doesn't change which means it would actually be 20% higher.

Your mouse movement feels like its snapping around a grid jumping a few pixels in each direction when you try to barely move it.

The current view bobbing for zooming in is very strange and inconsistent. When you are scoped your gun sways around randomly in every direction unpredictably. You might be breathing heavily running a short sprint but your gun isn't fixed to your head. Your head moves around while your scope is steady.

I'm not saying weapon sway is a bad thing but it adds this clunky randomness which I think defeats the purpose. I think it needs a smaller radius it can sway within and not drift so violently from side to side, rather it should either be moving fast consistently when you've got low stamina or slow consistently when you're high on stamina.

I'm sorry to jump all over but I needed to bring this up.

If anyone is confused by my crazed ramblings I can record a few current examples and Create a proper scoping mechanic and what I'd believe to be an ideal amount of weapon sway that feels realistic while not removing too much control from the player. I'll do it in UE3 if I can.

Edited by Psyda

That's been my current plan. I've tinkered with this kind of mechanic before in another UE project. I'll see what I can come up with.

Edited by Psyda

1 hour ago, Psyda said:

If anyone is confused by my crazed ramblings I can record a few current examples and Create a proper scoping mechanic and what I'd believe to be an ideal amount of weapon sway that feels realistic while not removing too much control from the player. I'll do it in UE3 if I can.

yes, please :)

Minor tweaks but for me they would really help with realism and immersiveness.

add vibration animation in vehicles (ie a low level of general camera shake, plus more significant shake when going over bumps and crashing).

high billowing smoke - all smouldering vehicles and destroyed items have smoke which stops at a very low altitude. I though BF series did this well with smoke billowing up hundreds of metres into the sky and added a lot of scale and drama to the battle.

radio Comms - could every players voice come go through a filter so that it sounds more like actual chatter? At the moment some voices sound authentic, others sound like they're playing in a recording studio with crystal clarity.

im after a simulation I guess, but for all the great features adding to the realism in this game, I haven't played in too many squads so far where they are committed to promoting realism although USA squads are very good and their knowledge is excellent. I wish people would refrain from using general gamer abbreviations and make an effort to be clearer in their Comms to make it easier for all players. This would help with squad cohesion and prevent lone wolfing..

anyway i I am very excited to see what's next. Squad is awesome!

The sway while in prone is too high, sure your gun will sway vertically depending on your breathing  but almost none horizontally. Also the sway on standing/crouch should be more linear unlike this circling effect what we have now.

I will also hope separate sensitivity slider for the zoomed view, it might not sound much but you will feel so much comfortable with the gun.