EverydayNormalGuy

Combat vehicle guide ! Caution very long text !!

Usually I would upload this on steam but my video card died a few weeks ago and the community here is much more cooperative.

1)Most important rule : Do not rush with them!! Of course they have armor and you are protected from small arms but due to their size they are very easy to spot and pretty vulnerable to LAT and maybe more upcoming AT in the future. Therfore it is absolutley necessary to stay as far away as possible from enemy troops. I konw most ot you players want to make as many kills as possible, but like in real life the survival of your vehicle should be your utmost concern!! Always think twice before you move your vehicle closer to the frontline, always keep in mind you are an attractive target and it is not that hard to shoot an RPG on you. Saftey first !!Your survival should be more important than a few kills!

2)Vehicles  are SUPPORT units NOT ATTACK units, so they belong in the background. Their role is to provide cover fire from LONG distances for the attacking troops. Footsoldiers always go in first while, vehicles stay back to support them. Do not use them agressivly and never use them without good infnatry support.

3)Combat vehicles in squad carry heavy weapons and due to their caliber they are deadly even on long range. Some vehicles even have zoom. So in general their main advantage is to fight from wide distances. On an open field you can easily use this advantage and gain fire superiority. In an urban area or in a dense forest you cannot use the range of your heavy weapons to keep AT and infantry at distance. Vehicles might dominate an area with wide field of view, but infantry is the king in cities and forests. Infantry can move more freely here and hide behind every possible bush or inside buildings. It is easy for them to avoid vehicles or ambush them. Keep it distant and avoid fighting in urban areas, or areas areas with dense vegetation. If you have to fight in a city stay on long straight roads and always make sure to have infantry backing you up.

4)If you absolutely have to go closer to the enemy, keep driving do not stop (not even too shoot) so it is at least a bit more difficult for LAT to shoot you. Minimize the time being close to the frontline for example just to unload troops. But in general you should avoid getting close to enemy lines, only do this in an emergency or if your team is about to win soon and loosing tickets does not matter anymore.

5) When you are hit do not stay on one point and dont try to find the LAT soldier, he might be closer than he should, sneaking up somewhere behind you. First drive away and then try to locate him from a safe distance. Keep in mind you are faster then them and it is more difficult to hit a moving target.

6) The damage of rockets depends on the distance between you and the gunner but in general a BTR can take up to 3 Rockets, Humvee can take 1 or 2 and technicals can take 1 Rocket before they explode. Of course heavy MGs also do damage. Always count the rockets do not wait for the last one finishing you. If the situation is getting critically get outta there. It is more wisely to repair your Humvee or BTR to fight another day.

7)The more repair stations you have the faster vehicles get repaired (Not sure that is still true). Therefore it is wisely to build a fob right at the beginnig of the game in your mainbase and build some additional stations. You have unlimited supply here so it does not matter. You can also place"just repair" FOBs closer to the frontlines or in the centre of a map so vehicles do not need to drive back the whole way to main base. This strategy allows them to return to the fight more quickly.

8)My favourite: You can also use them as static defense fortified behind sandbags to defend a FOB with just a few soldiers. It is very cost effective cause you just need a few sandbags and unlike a HMG you cannot take out the gunner so easily with small-arms, BTR CROWS gunner is completely protected from them. Fortified behind sandbags it becomes more difficult to hit a vehicle with a rocket. Second unlike HMGs you have 360 degree of view so they are really powerful if you want to defend a FOB !! Save construction points, just build sandbags instead of HMG ;)

9) Communication and teamwork is vital in this game therefore always share information with your squad and work together, this improves the effectiveness and survivability of both your vehicle and your squad. If gunner and driver work together each of them can scan a different perimeter so the gunner does not need to scan 360 degree.

I hope you like my "little" guide and can help me to improve it. If you want to add something or wish to discuss something, feel free to do so. But stay polite, it really took me some time to do this !!

Yes, yes and yes! I agree with everything! Would be great to have a bunch of GIFs or a short video (max 1 min) showing all of these tips.

While all of these are sensible hints I will have to point out that the vast majority of people who need guides like this one are not among the forum visitors.

37 minutes ago, MultiSquid said:

While all of these are sensible hints I will have to point out that the vast majority of people who need guides like this one are not among the forum visitors.

Sadly have to agree with this.

Best way to deal with vehicles is the way it is done in PR.

You make Vehicle squads, and most often it is reserved for people who are regulars on the server and known to be "decent" in x y z vehicle.

The vehicles are 20 tickets, (some less though) and often you see them get wasted without inflicting any ticketloss for the enemy.

The BTR/crow HMMV for example in the right hands on the right map can rack up 30-50 kills without much effort other then tactical positioning and having situational awereness.

Why people run vehicles into to tighttly packed compounds (without infantry support) and other stupidity is beyond me.

Miss PR vehicle discipline.

2 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

True. What if there'd be a tutorial page in the main menu, not including TL;DR-texts but very short GIFs/video clips showing usage of stuff? All of it to educate the masses. ;) 

A GIF of a few seconds could show the points above I think. First a red "NO"/"DON'T", then a BTR rushes into enemy lines and blows up, then a green "YES"/"DO" where the BTR stays on a distance, supporting INF advancing forward. There could be a whole page of that kind of stuff, if they'd be GIFs it would load pretty quick as well, right?

2 hours ago, Japub said:

Yes, yes and yes! I agree with everything! Would be great to have a bunch of GIFs or a short video (max 1 min) showing all of these tips

If someone could make a video, this guide would reach far more people. Sadly english ist not my mother language so someone else has to do it. I cannot talk fluent it would just be embarassing. 

The likelihood is very low but if anybody is interested feel free to contact me.

OP knows how mechanized infantry is done. Most important takeaway i think is the part about what combat vehicles special. Being able to engage at extremely long ranges is the biggest advantage of any combat vehicle. It is so extremely important to keep vehicles as far away as humanly possible from enemy infantry, and therefore enemy LAT.

Keeping your distance is the most effective way to survive.

2 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

If learn nothing else than this: Learn that when gunner says STOP then stop the bloody vehicle so he can aim! 

It would help if there wasn't a delay in comms. Perhaps the gunner should learn to say stop a second early.

4 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

If learn nothing else than this: Learn that when gunner says STOP then stop the bloody vehicle so he can aim! 

Vehicles don't stop on a dime and that delay can be worsened by lag.  A lot of times people also forget about the space bar.

Edited by Selfless

I've never seen anyone do the #8. I will sure give it a try. lol