Rennzen

Can we get a casual / free play mode? The amount of salty, control freak SL's is too damn high.

42 posts in this topic

Become a SL yourself, then you can be salty and controlling as well ;) 

Casual mode for Squad is called the Battlefield franchise.

Squad leads are supposed to be controlling, they give orders, you follow. If you don't like the Squad lead or find him too controlling, join another Squad or start one yourself. This game is about team work and co-ordination, this all starts from Squad leads. Eventually hopefully it'll be Commander>Squad Lead> Fire Team Lead. With a game like this, freedom is only happening when you're liberating a cap zone from the enemy.

Edited by Dubs

If you don't like asshole SL's then you won't like this game. If pubbies weren't retarded and listened we wouldn't need to be assholes and constantly shout at you to get you to move with us. 

Guy´s please keep it nice....

@OP Leading a Squad can be really frustrating if your boy´s N girl´s don´t do what they are ordered to, you are constantly checking you map and listening to the other squad leads while also managing your squad(and your squads radio). But you have to remember that this game is called Squad and that it is build around the squads.

So why should they develop the game in a more casual/lone wolf way when the target of this game is the audience that want to play as a Squad?

Well the whole point of the game is to play as a Squad and a quite critical part is for the Squad Leader to have his squad in control because all the game mechanics require for the squad to play together to ensure for example that you can keep spawning and fighting (medics, Rally Points, FOBs, Vehicles).

99% of "control freak SLs" aren't egoistical maniacs jerking themselves off at ordering people around, they're normal dudes  trying to make the squad work together as well as possible to ensure a good match for everyone. 

There are different ways to lead, some more laid back, some more intense, if you find one that doesn't suit you, join a different squad or server.

Edited by SgtHerhi

1 hour ago, Rennzen said:

Can we get a casual / free play mode? The amount of salty, control freak SL's is too damn high.

Go into a little more detail, provide an example. Otherwise we're just guessing, if you mean that you don't like being told where to go and what to do in general or if you just had a bad experience with a frustrated SL.

2 hours ago, Peerun said:

Go into a little more detail, provide an example. Otherwise we're just guessing, if you mean that you don't like being told where to go and what to do in general or if you just had a bad experience with a frustrated SL.

Well i and many others played it during free weekend and we liked what we played for the most part. But yes, we have absolutely had many ridiculous squad leaders that are negative, hyper controlling, and act like they are the epitome of a soldier.

Had one SL tell somebody to switch to another kit in 5 secs or get kicked. She did,  he kicked her and said shes prolly shit anyway. Another time, i saw a few people getting yelled at to build barricades, they wanted to help the team so they did, and the SL was breathing heavily down their neck and they ended up doing nothing but build defences the whole game and wrote the game off due to a shitty SL. Which is a shame because the game is great besides. Another time, has a british guy who pretended to be spec forces and went ballistic every time some one didn't do exactly as he said. We were too close and he said to spread out. Then like 10 mins later when we were all 10 ft or so apart, he said we were too far and would blame his every death on everyone else. And you know what, it HAS been just about every other game that there has been one of these SL's.

All i want is the usual unranked / casual mode where the casuals can chillax and do w/e they want with out being yelled at by a mouth breather - where, oh idk, maybe people can't kick from squads and they are public / open - and where hopefully the mood would be lighter as a result. (Also, i wouldn't mind some more traditional game modes too since the gun gameplay is really good and stands on it's own imo.)

@alex.sweedensniiperr No, never ;) 

@Everyone else. Yes, OBVIOUSLY the game is about teamwork.. (No shit sherlock.. are we really even going there?) And forgive my harsh language, but i am sick of this attitude and like the game and would hope it improves / adds some basic stuff. Just about every other game there has been a SL with a ridiculously rude and hyper controlling attitude.

You say teamwork blah blah, but that kind of attitude ISN'T teamwork. If you are one of those people that grab SL and take it as a license to pretend you are god, you are pathetic. I get that some of you feel the need to ultra-pretend you are a SL after being dishonorably discharged for having relations with achmed's goat in theater, but some people just want to jump in and, you know, not deal with you or your smug attitude. The vast majority of the time these SL's are completely shit at the game too, and it's like some defense mechanism so that they don't have to accept that they are actually worse than the people from the free weekend.

Edited by Rennzen

3 hours ago, Rennzen said:

Gonna have to get used to working as a team. If you don't like the SL then say why you are leaving the Squad and make your own and do better than them.

24 minutes ago, Catindabox said:

Gonna have to get used to working as a team. If you don't like the SL then say why you are leaving the Squad and make your own and do better than them.

You are deflecting from real problems, i don't have to get used to your opinion, and If you are gonna dodge, not gonna bother with you.

Edited by Rennzen

lots of frustration over the free weekend but generally you can find an SL who just gives a general objectives and occasionally makes demands for rally/fob or supplies. Fine the right people and you can all just get on with it.

56 minutes ago, Rennzen said:

You are deflecting from real problems, i don't have to get used to your opinion, and If you are gonna dodge, not gonna bother with you.

Why are you so defensive, lmao.

Leave the squad and join a new one, what other solution do you propose?

You should also realize that you were playing during free weekend, and that gameplay is much different (usually for the worse) during that time.

Edited by Catindabox

SL's needs to be "Control Freaks"
To get the squad together and working in the same directions. And sometimes as SL you need to a bit harscher attitude.
But i know some ppl who play the SL Role are just assholes and critism resistant because they very big Ego.
If you bored about your SL just leave the squad and find a "friendly" SL that fits better for you or open your own squad.

@Rennzen Don't be afraid above strong opinions they are looking the subject from another side of the fence and are afraid that their harcore ePenis supersoldier environment is killed by the casuals.

There is such a mode already implemented, but as far as I know the Jensens range (with no objectives) in general is the only map that is running with it. Like @Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX said, if you have your own server you can do pretty much anything you want.

You can also disable vehicle claiming in such server.

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-

I'm still pretty new having bought the game a few months ago and put about 45 hours into it.

Not once however, have I encountered an SL that I would have considered a control freak. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've always found if I've done what's asked of me or explained why I can't at that very moment (under fire, building etc) there's been no problem. 

I've finally hit the 500 hour mark in this game, there was a thread someone created saying nobody should be a SL'er until they've got to 500 hours. So I can now officially say my part...

You get all sorts of people. Those that are quiet, lost, loud, controlling, demanding, horrible, funny, troll etc.

After the amount of time playing this I can tell you, if you bump into a SL'er who's being a down right douche, remind him of the following....

"I am new, I am lost, we're not in the army, we're not real soldiers... just some guidance is required please".

Those bossy SL'ers annoy me too where they're very rude. When I am SL'er, I make sure people have fun, we have a laugh, but if people are out of line, I ask them 3 times. After that, then they get booted from the squad. This game's core is communication. I accept people can't always talk or some don't have mics, but I don't punish them for it, as long as they acknowledge the orders and our teams movements on the map.

@Rennzen The situation was pretty horrific over the free weekend. I blame it on that. First of all you get a lot of people that are new and don't know what the **** they're doing, mix in SLs that are used to people with some experience or even SLs new to the game coming from something like Arma and you have a recipe for disaster. 
You can sum it up like this

Meta before the free weekend: 
The team with better communication and tactic wins the round
Meta during the free weekend:
Try not to lose your shit and you might even enjoy the game if you don't get a shit squad
...and hopefully
Meta in a week or two:
The team with better communication and tactic wins the round

It's learning process, not only for the new guys, but also for the old fags to get used to handling new unexperienced players(or noobs) again.

Trust me, you don't want to play Squad casually and without any structure. It is a very boring and frustrating experience. The game is made in a way which requires heavy amounts of teamwork and communication.

My solutions for you:

Change Squads as soon as you notice that you will not get along with the SL.

As soon as you find an SL you like, add them on Steam and try to play with them more often.

Play a game which does not rely so heavily on structure. I think Insurgency is exactly what you are looking for. 

Also keep in mind that acting as an SL cam be very stressful for some people. It is especially difficult to SL during a free-weekend event like this because SLs will be dealing with trolls and clueless players every time they play. I guarantee you that your experience will be much better once everyone has settled in. 

A "casual" option is pretty much the opposite of what this game strifes to be. It wouldn't you do any good if you were playing isolated from the rest of us.

I'm not defending SLs letting their anger or whatever get the better of themselves, but it's no easy task keeping 8 other people in check while trying to work for your team and with your team. Just a side note I wanted to mention.

One thing you could try is to calm down your SL, eg. when he asked that person in your example to grab a certain kit in 5 seconds, just state that it's not possible to do that, she's trying as quickly as she can. It often pacifies the situation a bit if a mediator between a SL and his grunt steps up. And if that doesn't work, you can always open a squad of your own, but not before telling your squad mates that you gladly want to work with them if they feel like joining your squad.

5 hours ago, Rennzen said:

Go and buy Battlefield 1... this is Squad...

I've rarely had SL's that were overbearing, I've had many more that are lousy, if you don't like what they are doing, like spending the round building a worthless FOB, you can vote with your feet. Staying in a crappy squad only ruins your experience and your teams chances. 

This weekend was by no means typical of my experience over the last 6 months in game.

Jensens range is fun for messing about, you can do anything you want to there if you can get others to go along.

It's very rare for a single player makes much difference, after a flag goes neutral you need at least 3 to capture.  When people lone wolf generally your piting against  squads of 9, so once you fire the enemy know where you are. 

Squads not meant as a single shooter, more guns more fun. Use a mic make some friends have some fun,

Edited by Smee