TAR4C

Sound Balancing

Hey guys.  

I loved the sound of the game from the very beginning. Fire fights sound fantastic and so on...but I have a problem...I can't immerse my self fully in to squad because of this:

FX audio is soooooooo quiet besides shots fired. 

Shots are so loud, I always have to turn down my volume in order to hear radio chatter loud and clear. When I do that. I almost can't hear anything else...Car engines, foot steps...all the other sounds are far too quiet besides shooting.

When I don't hear my own footsteps I can't really immerse myself...of course a shot should always be loud. But something is not right when I have to turn down the FX volume in order to hear my squad and then I don't hear anything anymore.

The Battlefield is too quiet...besides shooting...

I don't know it really inpacts the feeling of the game for me.

You can manually adjust squad and local voice level if thats what you're looking for..

Personally i really like the audio in Squad.. Compared to Arma 3 for example. I have no trouble hearing footsteps, unless there is a firefight going on of course.

Edited by Shields

He's right about footsteps, also reloads and weapon operating is too low volume, but I totally disagree about gunshots being too loud, are you mad.... the louder the better!

Of course weapons should be loud. But you should be able to hear the other things you do aswell if you don't shoot. I think the difference between Shooting and hearing the other stuff is too big.

11 hours ago, Shields said:

You can manually adjust squad and local voice level if thats what you're looking for..

Personally i really like the audio in Squad.. Compared to Arma 3 for example. I have no trouble hearing footsteps, unless there is a firefight going on of course.

Yea of course I could make the radio chatter louder than the shooting and destroy my ears, rather then turn down the FX volume. This is not the thing I was talking about ^^

You should still be able to hear reloading, as it's near to you as opposed to explosions/shooting in the background. It's all merged together forgetting distance.

4 hours ago, TAR4C said:

Of course weapons should be loud. But you should be able to hear the other things you do aswell if you don't shoot. I think the difference between Shooting and hearing the other stuff is too big.

Yea of course I could make the radio chatter louder than the shooting and destroy my ears, rather then turn down the FX volume. This is not the thing I was talking about ^^

I wasn't suggesting you to make the radio chatter louder than .50 cal gunfire lol.. Just increase it to a level that allows you to hear people well under normal cirmumstances. Obviously you're not going to hear everything people say crystal clear in a gunfight. Even if you have active hearing protection, its still difficult to hear with full auto gun fire going on.

I personally have no problems hearing anyone. I've increased radio volume to 150% and local to 165%. Its still not loud, just abit easier to hear.

Edited by Shields

Yea. the contrast between gun shots and other fx is very high. I imagine they did it  because gun shots are really loud. But  this sacrifices other FX sound volumes  because they're  decreased  to a "gentle" level.

E. reload sounds are extremely gentle, specially if someone's standing beside you and is reloading their gun... You just hear  very gentle ticking sounds.... As if someone's   idk...  handling a toy gun?

Yeah footsteps are too quiet, it breaks my immersion to be sprinting across the ground and feel like a floating gun for barely hearing my footsteps.

I hear you.  It helps a lot to use a pair of headphones instead of speakers, that way quiet details are going directly into your ears and are more easily heard

another option is that some sound cards have a component you can turn on called a "compressor" which dampens all sound that falls above a certain volume (this adjustable point is called the "threshold" setting on the compressor).  after the compressor has dampened the peaks, you can then turn the master volume up higher without hurting your ears, effectively making louder sounds quieter, and boosting quiet sounds, making everything more equal.

this is an advanced feature though, and I'm not sure if your sound card has it.  if you tell me what you have I can take a look and see if you have such an option.  my big sound card has a full-featured compressor, with all parameters adjustable, while my laptop's Realtek HD sound only has a single checkbox called "Loudness Equalization".

here's a pic showing what a compressor does to the sound.  the peaks (gunshots) get dampened, allowing you to turn your game volume up and be able to hear the quieter sounds better

limiter1.png

Edited by Mannex

Agreed, either you turn the volume down so you don't go deaf when firing - you don't hear much footsteps, reloading etc. or you turn it up to hear those noises but go deaf when shooting. Neither is a good solution since this is a video game. Sound awareness should be a bigger thing and positioning will hopefully get updated as well.

I think the balance is just fine. Might be your sound settings. BUT, I do agree I hardly hear the reloading, and hardly hear footsteps. Gotta have that sound, specially running and your ears fill with sweat and get plugged and then you just hear the bassy thump thump of your running , and its missing the battle rattle. Not that it makes too much a difference but yea,. The loudness is fine, in fact, if you want to get that true or virtual effect then, the game implements it well. 

Edited by wyatt_earp_fan

Only the gunshots are loud for me. I could hardly hear a truck ~30meter away from and a BTR(!) managed to drive up to my building and shoot me, for I only faintly heard him.

I'm not sure i this is a bug on my end though.