banOkay

[WORKAROUND] Double Posting Bug

For starters try getting rid of the incredibly annoying double posting bug. Double posts are probably 10% of this forum's content.

And honestly, this forum's software is terrible, might as well switch it to something better even if it means starting from scratch. Just look at the amount of basic question topics that have been answered 10x and every feature having 2-8 separate threads. The whole forum and its layout is very poor.

I do agree that the double post bug is a royal pain.  Other forum programs have the same issue.  One thing that I am looking at is a feature called "merging".  This will automatically merge content from the same person in the same thread within X number of seconds.  The theory being that if you hit that post button several times in quick succession then it should take those extra posts and place them in the original post submitted.  I havent set it yet because I havent had the time yet to test it out to see if it works.  The other thing is people need to slow down by a couple of heartbeats and click on the refresh button first if it appears that your post didnt get posted.  :)

As for Invision Power Board which this site is currently using there is some ongoing discussions about the software but no decisions have been made yet.  Not an easy job to move to another platform.

As for the multiple threads about the same topic we are working on that and hope to have it under control soon.  Believe me when I say we dont like to see it either.

The layout is being looked at for changes.

Thanks

Maybe you can enable time limit, so that you can't post for 10s after your last post. This will make a query fail on time check and prevent doubleposting. Usually, you get a notification "You can't post for 8 seconds. Try again later" or something similar.

Good idea MadMak.  I will look into that as well.

Thanks

As long there is no protection just copy your text before using the post button, press it and refresh the window. Usually the post should be there then and if not you can retry without pressing the button several times and spamming your post.

What IPB are you guys using, I havent had this issue before with mine. Actually did some searching, seems like its a thing with IPB 4 which explains why I haven't seen it as I haven't updated yet. 

The double Post is indeed annoying, but otherwise i realy like this forum/forumlayout. What i would realy like is an indicator of a dev postet in a thread and if you click on that symbol you would jump to the next dev post, they got that going in the tripwire interactive forums(red orchestra, killing floor) and it is realy helpfull!

What IPB are you guys using, I havent had this issue before with mine. Actually did some searching, seems like its a thing with IPB 4 which explains why I haven't seen it as I haven't updated yet. 

We are using 3.4.x.  I had this issue with my site as well when I was still using IPB.  I use another software now but the issue pops up with that too sometimes.

Maybe I am wrong, but I've noticed that double posting happens if someone replied in the thread while you were writing your post. So, the issue is somewhere deep in the code. The solution for this is post merging, just like MURay said.

I am curious if IP.Board staff are going to fix their code.

I don't have a single double post so I don't know what you guys' problem is .

Then again, I use Tapatalk

I just checked the Moderator logs and not a single double post has been deleted since yesterday morning.  I havent seen any yet today but then I havent read every topic either.  I have turned on Merge and I do believe it is helping.

Ray, Thank you for all your help in the Forums. I'm just curious as to whether or not, you knew what you were getting yourself into here.. :o