Monk

Placeholders...Placeholders are everywhere

I was wondering if there is anything in Squad what is not a placeholder...

1. Placeholder models - CHECK
  2. Placeholder animations - CHECK
  3. Placeholder vehicle physics - CHECK
  4. Placeholder FOB/Rally mechanics - CHECK
  5. Placeholder HUD - CHECK
  6. Placeholder maps - CHECK

Is there anything I forgot to add into the list?

1. Some are still. US Models, Russia Models are not

2-4 still being worked on heavily

and 5 is being worked-on, dev's are listening to feed back.

And 6 how are the maps place holders? They are adding and fixing things. Place holders are temporary. So you would saying the maps are temporary? 

8 minutes ago, Monk said:

1.) Only Place holder models are the Insurgents

2.) Yes, the current Animation system is from the kickstarter and is due to be replaced soon.

3.) Vehicle driving physics are pretty final AFAIK, however damage physics are a placeholder.

4.) No. However, FOB's are still being worked on and are due for a upgrade on overall placements and deployables.

5.) A new HUD system will be on the way around Beta time.

6.) Placeholder maps? What? 

Edited by LMR Sahara

Devs provide content, people complain there is bad performance

Devs provide performance fixes, people complain there is not enough content

Never ending circle of complaints 9_9

How about some constructive criticism for a change?

27 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

3.) Vehicle driving physics are pretty final AFAIK, however damage physics are a placeholder.

Heh, I hope not..

7 minutes ago, wetblue13 said:

1. Some are still. US Models, Russia Models are not

2-4 still being worked on heavily

and 5 is being worked-on, dev's are listening to feed back.

And 6 how are the maps place holders? They are adding and fixing things. Place holders are temporary. So you would saying the maps are temporary? 

After 6 months of Early Access release US and Russia character models are not placeholders anymore. Great! Looking forward to mid-2017 release date then!

Everything else is not placeholder because it is being worked on heavily. 

Maps are placeholders for one reason: 

They are adding and fixing things.

35 minutes ago, LMR Sahara said:

1.) Only Place holder models are the Insurgents

2.) Yes, the current Animation system is from the kickstarter and is due to be replaced soon.

4.) No. However, FOB's are still being worked on and are due for a upgrade on overall placements and deployables.

5.) A new HUD system will be on the way around Beta time.

6.) Placeholder maps? What? 

1. That's assuring. 

2. Like one year after Early Access release? Ok.

3. Well...Is vehicle driving physics alrighty for you then? Why do you think it is final? Have you ever been driving the jeep/truck in real life to compare it?

4. So is it "No. The system is final" or "Temporary. Being worked on" ?

5. So it is a placeholder, right?

6. See above.

38 minutes ago, invisible.nin/SINE said:

Devs provide content, people complain there is bad performance

Devs provide performance fixes, people complain there is not enough content

Never ending circle of complaints 9_9

How about some constructive criticism for a change?

It seems you have trouble with understanding what I wrote. Let me paraphrase it for you:

The game was released appr. one year ago filled with "temporary" (placeholder) solutions. One year later the game has the same "temporary" solutions with more of "temporary" solutions without finishing the base content of the game. So far the only "done" content is player models and weapon models or was there "temporary" marksman rifle for US?..

I never personally complained about bad performance. I actually suggested to add "The game is not compatible with AMD processors" instead of optimizing the barebone product. Especially when the Engine the game is based on will be updated in the future. That is huge mistake and waste of time Offworld did to satisfy the screaming crowd in the hope of achieving better Steam Rating.

In this topic I do not complain about the lack of content. I express my concerns about the lack of "finished" content after appr. one year of release date on Steam. Please learn to read and understand what is written.

Constructive criticism is the following: "Complete the basic features before adding more of unfinished stuff!". Is it enough constructive according to your definition of "constructive criticism"?

20 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Where's the line between a placeholder and an early prototype?

Well, AFAIK noone uses "early protype" definition in the Game Dev. Everyone calls it "Alpha".

Placeholder is something what was added into Alpha as temporary solution (e.g. models, animations, textures, voice acting, sounds etc) when final content is being worked on.

Edited by Monk

24 minutes ago, Monk said:

learn to read and understand what is written

Please use less passive aggressive undertones in your posts, this is really unneccessary.

All I'm going to add is: They can't do everything at once, so they will do everything in the order they think is best. You might not agree with this order, but it is the one they will be following.

7 hours ago, Monk said:

After 6 months of Early Access release US and Russia character models are not placeholders anymore. Great! Looking forward to mid-2017 release date then!

Everything else is not placeholder because it is being worked on heavily. 

Maps are placeholders for one reason: 

1. That's assuring. 

2. Like one year after Early Access release? Ok.

3. Well...Is vehicle driving physics alrighty for you then? Why do you think it is final? Have you ever been driving the jeep/truck in real life to compare it?

4. So is it "No. The system is final" or "Temporary. Being worked on" ?

5. So it is a placeholder, right?

6. See above.

1.) The insurgent player models are going to be reskinned to have a Syrian Rebel esque look. This is known information.

2.) Once again, widely known information in the community that the animation refactor is on the around beta time. This includes the current walking and sprinting animations, which have been here since the kickstarter.

3.) Having talked with Norby; the lead vehicle designer, I can assure you that there is no subsequent need to change the driving physics, especially considering one of the main devs have driven those vehicles in real life. Oh and yes, I have driven a Humvee before.

4.) The concept of FOBs are final as they are, the way you can place a FOB in the future is due to change. 

5.) Yes and no, the UI refactor from the dev AJAX and the optimization side of it is being worked on to replace many but not all of the current UI.

6.) I have no idea what you mean by a placeholder map. All maps that are in the game are here to stay AFAIK. 

During the course of ANY game's development almost everything is placeholder or at least subject to change.

That's like saying WOW's character models from 2004-2014 were all placeholders since they replaced them with upgraded models. Really, Squad is just one big placeholder for Squad 2 in 10 years. If a placeholder is fully functional and of a certain quality, is it really a placeholder? Deep philosophical questions for a modern time.

On 11/11/2016 at 4:12 PM, Monk said:

It seems you have trouble with understanding what I wrote. Let me paraphrase it for you:

The game was released appr. one year ago filled with "temporary" (placeholder) solutions. One year later the game has the same "temporary" solutions with more of "temporary" solutions without finishing the base content of the game. So far the only "done" content is player models and weapon models or was there "temporary" marksman rifle for US?..

I never personally complained about bad performance. I actually suggested to add "The game is not compatible with AMD processors" instead of optimizing the barebone product. Especially when the Engine the game is based on will be updated in the future. That is huge mistake and waste of time Offworld did to satisfy the screaming crowd in the hope of achieving better Steam Rating.

In this topic I do not complain about the lack of content. I express my concerns about the lack of "finished" content after appr. one year of release date on Steam. Please learn to read and understand what is written.

Constructive criticism is the following: "Complete the basic features before adding more of unfinished stuff!". Is it enough constructive according to your definition of "constructive criticism"?

Well it turns out developing the first ever large scale multiplayer game with vehicles in unreal engine 4 is really challenging. Most of the work done in the past year has been optimizations and getting netcode working for vehicles. No one has ever done this before to such a scale.

The next several months is where we will see more content being added.

Edited by dolmaface

On 11-11-2016 at 9:03 PM, Monk said:

1. The game is dev'ed by a small team
2. The small team doesn't have millions of $ to hire more people
3. The game got introduced 2015 december 15th - it's nov 2016
4 it's Alpha
5. Educate yourself about Squad first before making an ignorant statement such as this thread.