-MG

Affordable video editing software

Hey guys, 

Having my gameplay recorded from time to time to capture these moments of escaping death, very long intense fire battles to comical situations etc...
I'm wanting to be able to edit these videos as i'm interested in creating montages and what not, does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable video editing software ?.

I can't spend 100's of € sadly enough :/.  

Edit; My bad, i just realized that General discussion was only Squad based -_-. Can a mod please move this to the correct location ?. Thanks 

Edited by -MG

It really depends on just how much time you want to spent. If you don't intend on doing ultra fancy stuff and just want to add some music, crop clips and what not, I'd say Windows Movie Maker is suifficient, as well as free of charge. I believe there is a free version of Sony Vegas, too, though I never actually used it and can't tell how easy/hard it is to work with.

Edited by Frontliner

Couple of recommendations to get you started:

- Camtasia Studio 8: Personally started off with this, has a 30 day free trial, and it nicely bridges the gap between Movie Maker and Vegas or Premiere. Good way to get yourself started if you're not 100% sure what you're doing as has a good straight to the point 5min tutorial at the start that gets you going with all the need to know basics. 

- Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12: Try and get 12 if you can, rather than 13 as the interface for 13 is more aimed at touchscreen. Either way, it's a slightly stripped back version of Sony Vegas but was around £40 when I bought it. Still got plenty of features and options there for you but the main selling point for me was up to 8 editable audio tracks. Might be a little bit daunting at first but plenty of tutorials on line on how to use it and works very similar to Vegas. Been using this for years for my own youtube channel and not really needed to search for anything else. Would recommend if you're looking for something more advanced than Movie Maker. 

1 hour ago, Frontliner said:

It really depends on just how much time you want to spent. If you don't intend on doing ultra fancy stuff and just want to add some music, crop clips and what not, I'd say Windows Movie Maker is suifficient, as well as free of charge. I believe there is a free version of Sony Vegas, too, though I never actually used it and can't tell how easy/hard it is to work with.

Movie wrecker is terminal...no matter what i do it pixelates my clips to shite. And it's very limited in what it cando tomy taste.

49 minutes ago, Yorkie065 said:

Couple of recommendations to get you started:

- Camtasia Studio 8: Personally started off with this, has a 30 day free trial, and it nicely bridges the gap between Movie Maker and Vegas or Premiere. Good way to get yourself started if you're not 100% sure what you're doing as has a good straight to the point 5min tutorial at the start that gets you going with all the need to know basics. 

- Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12: Try and get 12 if you can, rather than 13 as the interface for 13 is more aimed at touchscreen. Either way, it's a slightly stripped back version of Sony Vegas but was around £40 when I bought it. Still got plenty of features and options there for you but the main selling point for me was up to 8 editable audio tracks. Might be a little bit daunting at first but plenty of tutorials on line on how to use it and works very similar to Vegas. Been using this for years for my own youtube channel and not really needed to search for anything else. Would recommend if you're looking for something more advanced than Movie Maker. 

Thanks dood i'll look into  Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12

9 minutes ago, -MG said:

Movie wrecker is terminal...no matter what i do it pixelates my clips to shite. And it's very limited in what it cando tomy taste.

IIRC the standard option renders your videos to mobile-watchable 240p shit, so that sounds to me like it's a simple output error, so to speak. You'll have to set a proper format, there are youtube tutorials on how to set WMM to render your stuff at 1080p 60 FPS. 

so i was in market for this sorta thing turns out you don't have to pay anything. this thing looks good haven't fully used it. but its an opensource project that used to be exclusive to linux now on windows aswell. at the time it was only option for linux and from what ive read its really good. :)

http://www.openshot.org/ (select the one for windows and boom) 

you can also do good old windows movie maker 6.0 better than live (never tried windows 10 one) and it has lots of addons both payed and free for it. http://movies.blainesville.com/2010/05/installing-windows-movie-maker-60-on.html

Edited by WiFiDi

16 hours ago, -MG said:

Hey guys, 

Having my gameplay recorded from time to time to capture these moments of escaping death, very long intense fire battles to comical situations etc...
I'm wanting to be able to edit these videos as i'm interested in creating montages and what not, does anyone have a suggestion for an affordable video editing software ?.

I can't spend 100's of € sadly enough :/.  

Edit; My bad, i just realized that General discussion was only Squad based -_-. Can a mod please move this to the correct location ?. Thanks 

I recommend to use OBS (Classic or new) to record and encode on the fly to MP4 gameplay footage

* MS Movie Maker - Free (Windows only)

* Openshot (Windows + Mac + Linux)  Free  - http://openshot.org/

* Lightworks (Windows+ Mac + Linux) free edition available https://www.lwks.com

I use Magix Edit Pro which I picked up on sale on amazon as a code for USD$22

Magix BOUGHT Sony Vegas also in 2016

You can get it cheap from Amazon (BOX or Digital code)

MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 2016 - USD$25 https://www.amazon.com/MAGIX-Movie-Edit-Pro-2016/dp/B015PIIF80/

Free sound editor:

Audacity (Linux/Mac/Windows)  https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

or a proper FREE DAW

Presonus Studio One PRIME (Mac/Windows)

https://shop.presonus.com/products/studio-one-prods/Studio-One-3-Prime

Edited by charliebrownau

If you are willing to spend $10 or so a month? Then buy Adobe Premeire Pro, it is the best editing program on the market. Anyone tells you otherwise? Needs a slap across the face. Go to program for any high-end editor. Adobe's program are all inner-linked, so it is easy to transfer/edit things with a simple click of a button, especially if you use Photoshop or want to get fancy with After Effects.

Edited by Bassi

i forgot to post this earlier, but here's a clip i made in early June of Squad with some music

the video is a little grainy because i was still in the process of tweaking my settings and i'm limited a little bit by hardware

I used OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) and Windows Movie Maker to make this:

I'm familiar with OBS :), al i'm really for is a decent Video editing software tho' thx

I've been using Sony Vegas for a couple of years now and it works well for me. It's expensive but you can get a slightly watered down version, you'll probably never know the difference, called Sony Movie Studio. Depending where you live it's anywhere from $40 to $100 I believe.

I was able to make this video pretty easy in Vegas-

Edited by Saracen Rush