MrPoisonTaco

Black screen on startup?

I hadn't played Squad in quite some time, and when I went to launch it last night, it went through the little intro with the music and all that, then went to a black screen. I closed it and launched it multiple times, verified game cache through steam, did a fresh install, newest GPU drivers, and it is still doing the problem. I was able to get it to work a few times last night by deleting or messing with the user settings ini file, and launching the game in windowed or bordereless, but then it was straight back to the problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Try starting the game in windowed mode. A friend of mine has had that problem and resolved it this way.
Don't know the steps though, so can't walk you through it..

I also posted the following in another thread concerning the same issue. Like OP, my task manager says that Squad is Not Responding. Posting here for visibility.

I've been having the same issue ever since A8.1. A8 worked fine, 8.1 killed the game for me.

I open Squad through either Steam or the .exe file, neither make a difference from what I've observed. It shows the intro movie and then a black screen. Sometimes it'll get to the keyboard screen but it is frozen. The loading animation in the lower right corner stays frozen. I have left this screen up for up to 25 minutes with no change. I've tried verifying the cache through steam. I have also reinstalled the game.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card

Squad is installed on the hard drive, not the SSD.

Edited by dneidFIST
added info

9 hours ago, dneidFIST said:

I also posted the following in another thread concerning the same issue. Like OP, my task manager says that Squad is Not Responding. Posting here for visibility.

I've been having the same issue ever since A8.1. A8 worked fine, 8.1 killed the game for me.

I open Squad through either Steam or the .exe file, neither make a difference from what I've observed. It shows the intro movie and then a black screen. Sometimes it'll get to the keyboard screen but it is frozen. The loading animation in the lower right corner stays frozen. I have left this screen up for up to 25 minutes with no change. I've tried verifying the cache through steam. I have also reinstalled the game.

My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card

Squad is installed on the hard drive, not the SSD.

i have the same problem as you, have reinstalled serveral times! the game works 1 out of 50 times! have emailed the squad creators /trubleshooters and got some tips with no effects

i have the same problem. I tried the window mode method and it seems to work. To do it just right click game in steam go to properties then set launch options and in the box type  -window  that will put the game in window mode after it does the splash screen. I havnt tried yet but u can probably also skip the splash screen all together by typing -splash in that same box. might also fix the problem