Sign in to follow this  
Japub

Compass v8.0 - Indicator disturbing

Here's feedback and a suggestion consisting in "I don't like" and "Make it as before". ;)

The new compass disturbs me quite a bit when calling out bearings. It was smoother with just an arrow pointing down; now I need to kind of stop for a moment and focus on the bearing number. It might be a nice idea having the exact bearing number showing up, but I'm never gonna need such exact information; I rather say "2, 40" instead of "244".

It's not a major problem of course, and I'll adapt in time but I don't like it, let's make the compass great again (too early? :P).  

EDIT: I've change my mind on this sorta, I've actually had use of giving "such exact information" now as it's possible. Maybe as suggested below, make the current bearing stand out by yellow font color, bigger size or something. 

Edited by Japub

Eh, sometimes its extremely useful. Sometimes just a general bearing works too. I get your point but I don't think it's stopping anyone from enjoying the game. 

I enjoyed v7's, but i think the only thing it needs now is the middle cursor. 

comp3_zpsnywxo2oe.jpg

The numbers on top seem to be quicker identifiable in game.

comp1_zpsliizjoit.jpg

Edited by chaz69

I personally don't like the 'exact bearing' number. I feel like I'm being unnecessarily fed information I could have easily obtained on my own. It's not that bloody difficult to read the compass, so I just hope it gets changed back to the old 'arrow' thingy once this while free weekend business is over.

Edited by MultiSquid

its easier to call contact west or 300 or right. 

This is what i like to hear. "Contact Right!!, who's right? my right or pvt snuffys right?"

i think it is only there for specific situations such as spotting for someone. They are ONLY relevant if you are right next to someone, this is and should be a rare occurrence.

In regular play the bearing is less useful than a NSEW direction. Eg "Enemy 100 meters North West of squad leader." or "Sniper on the hill to the west of our objective" or "Bob look south!"

These statements are far more clear to a greater number of players and don't require any checks to quickly react too. They can be useful for other people who hear them and not just the player standing close to you. A bearing called out is almost never relevant to more than one or two players, it should only be used on local voice, never in squad channel.

Possible compromise, what about having the actual bearing numbers only show up if the player's view stays within a range (like +/-5 degrees) for a few seconds? Could claim it's simulating the extra time required to actually look at a compass instead of just magically always knowing the exact bearing. If you're looking around rapidly, the numbers disappear and the arrow should be enough to approximate, like before.

I edited OP. I've change my mind on this sorta, I've actually had use of giving "such exact information" now as it's possible. Tartantyco's suggestion sounds good!