Chuc

Steam Free Weekend & Sale

38 minutes ago, Masterjts said:

This goes against everything that they said they wanted for Squad... but it IS needed more than anything else. Also when the SL discos or leaves the squad it should pass to the next highest ranked person. I'd say easily 9/10 times we had Squad Leader changes the next SL ended up being a new player who had to be talked through how to pass the SL to someone else and then a 5 min discussion on who should be SL.

Something has to change with the current system.

You forget that many players even if they are experienced are terrible terrible squad leaders. And somebody with just 10 hours in game are great great leader. Give a squad leading to the next most XP player is silly ... it will notwork. Anyway Squad leader can postpone squad  leading to somebody else. Therefor we have there this functionality. Which is pretty work. 

It is also quite common that rookie SLs just get frustrated or, not only rookies, experience technical difficulties, so the SL role is automatically passed to another squad member. Whoever becomes the new SL "automatically" should be:

1) clearly aware of it (MUST HAVE)

2) able to accept or reject the role (NICE TO HAVE)

So there needs to be some selection algorithm in place for these scenarios at least, because what usually happens now is that the person explaining to the auto-selected SL how to transfer the SL role further, also becomes the new SL. Whoever is able to communicate this process with a rookie player, is a pretty good fit for the auto-selected SL in the first place.

Using some kind of rank system to determine if a player is competent or not can be done. But this is not what I am referring to here. I'm talking about a guy that literally has no idea how the game works - need and SL kit, what is the T menu, what is an FOB, what is a rally point, etc, etc. Allowing players with no experience to spawn into the game world in the most influential role in the game is problematic.

We would have done a rank system in PR for similar reasons, except that the community was so small by the time we would have gotten around to it, the benefits would have been moot. Squad cannot afford to rely on name recognition being interchangeable for competency. 

egg

3 hours ago, eggman said:

We would have done a rank system in PR for similar reasons, except that the community was so small by the time we would have gotten around to it, the benefits would have been moot. Squad cannot afford to rely on name recognition being interchangeable for competency. 

Totally agree on this point. 

-------------

I played as much as possible over the free weekend, trying to educate as many as possible. I warned everyone that if they had a bad game, it was just because their leader was bad, or the teams were inexperienced and thus not playing how it was supposed to be played. 

All in all, I had around 10 matches, all of them relatively fun. One big thing that I would like to report back to the devs as feedback...

Insurgency mode is not kind to new players, especially with the new flags scattered across the map. On all 3 of the insurgency rounds I played, we had at least 1-2 squads (Insurgent or Blufor) fobbing up on those flags, and resulting in the caches either not being attacked, or being attacked and there being 1-2 defenders (total). It turned into very boring games, and so on the plus side I used the rounds to teach the other players about what it means to be a squad leader etc, FOB mechanics and whatnot. 

Overall, I would recommend sticking to AAS (and maybe PAAS) for free weekends. 

21 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Insurgency mode is not kind to new players, especially with the new flags scattered across the map.

Yes, agreed. I played one Insurgency round for a few minutes, then gave up, was a complete shit show.

Played 3 or 4 more rounds of AAS today. Good matches, one was superb (12 ticket victory on Kohat, US v Russia).

I really dislike Sumari with inexperienced players. In it's current state, Sumari is a really decent 54 person map imo. Plays like shit with 72 noobs; encourages die - spawn - die.

egg

Edited by eggman

8 hours ago, elerik said:

You forget that many players even if they are experienced are terrible terrible squad leaders. And somebody with just 10 hours in game are great great leader. Give a squad leading to the next most XP player is silly ... it will notwork. Anyway Squad leader can postpone squad  leading to somebody else. Therefor we have there this functionality. Which is pretty work. 

It has nothing to do with if they are good squad leaders or not. It is about them being familiar enough with the game so that they know when they become squad lead, know the mechanics of how it works and know how to easily pass the lead to someone else.+

I had some really awesome rounds as squad lead with some new player´s, they really played a lot better then I thought.

Let´s hope that some of them stay.

Learning curve isnt as friendly to new players, but i had some nice rounds this weekend. Just dont take it too serious and even new guys have fun. Had some encounters with those die-hard milsim SL's , usual not what people bear in mind when playing on sunday evening.

6 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to miss the free weekend players. :(

Me too, I joined the free weekend server on Saturday to show the new/free weekend folks the ropes, one of the best times I've ever had in game. I joined and the squad was quite disoriented and having some trouble, I ran out to join them and within five minutes I had the whole squad squared away and working together effectively. I love new players who actually want to learn how to play the game! They actually listen to the squad leader and accept suggestions and orders without question. Makes leading the squad so much easier. I won't lie I usually avoid squad leading, but these guys actually all agreed to promote me to squad lead without me even asking! I just started organizing and giving tips, the previous SL just said : "you should be squad lead" and that was it! Love how easy it is to play when you can actually micromanage the squad in close quarters too, we very rarely lost any guys because the squad would actually cover itself. 

This is game is still fun with new players. Assume nothing and explain everything and you will find that the new players are often more competent and enjoyable to play with than an obnoxious veteran player who always deviates from the plan because they think they can do it better.

It was obvious this weekend that allowing anyone to be the SL isn't the best policy. Half of the time a new player would see the other squads were full and create a new squad without knowing they were also becoming the SL, didn't know they needed to grab the SL kit, how to drop a rally, how to talk to the other squads, etc.

I'd agree that the SL role needs to have a minimal restriction, it could easily be based on time in game, like  even10-20 hours would be enough to at least give a new player a chance to learn the basic mechanics and strategy. If it would also prevent the SL role from being passed to another new player, perfect. 

As well as the other suggest UI improvements like a notification that you are now the SL and I'd like an option to refuse it. How often do you all stand around in main while the guy who just became SL says "What's our plan SL?"

I played about 5-6 rounds over the free access period, three times as SL.

Once I started a squad myself, the other 2x times I offered to take over for a new SL who realized they didn't want to SL. In those 2x instances, the squad was in disarray, but as soon as a friendly (and confident!) SL takes over, they follow orders are started really getting into it! There was no shortage of Generation Kill Jargon in use, which always makes me smile! :) As always in Squad, it's all about the leadership.

Overall, a good group of new players, most of them said they were going to buy the game.

8 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to miss the free weekend players. :(

Me too hehe. As a guy who loves teamplay, but is not part of a gaming clan, on the whole, playing with "vets" was not significantly more fun than the noobfest.

Some of my best Squad gaming experiences were this weekend. While that's in part due to v8 being really quite good, it's also - if not mostly - due to the inability to execute the "pre-defined meta" that Squad games with vets often becomes. I am sure that will change over time, but I really enjoyed the organic chaos that new players bring in. Most of them were intent upon playing the game properly. I only had to kick one person from a squad through the weekend and it was because they would not stop talking about their penis.

Not every match was awesome - some were just awful - but I can also say that about the "regular crowd".

I really enjoyed having low ping, highly populated servers to choose from.

I hope a good chunk of the free trial players buy the game. I hope OWI can take some lessons learned from the experience. I think that v8 represents the first build that  is starting to reflect the gameplay vision the OWI devs have. I believe the game can be made more accessible without dumbing it down. Some of the issues encountered this weekend amplify the need for that.

egg

Heyho everone, just wanted to give away my two cents aswell.

The free weekend finally gave me the urge to try out the game (And 50% off, holy moly. My inner black-friday-maniac was triggered). I totally enjoyed my whole experience and bought the game after 5 hours of playing. But it was very easy for me to get into the "flow" of the game since I am used to play Arma 3 (Tactical Battlefield), Project Reality, Red Orchestra 2, Rising Storm, etc. Those games have a similar game pace and work in similar ways. So I can`t really speak for total new players :S

I can understand that the whole game could be overwhelming at first. Different approaches could be possible to counter this problem (Mandatory Tutorial, Mandatory ranks for certain classes, etc.) but this is the wrong place on the forum.  I just wanted to say "thank you" for the free weekend as it was the needed push for me to try out the game and buy it!

Pretty much everybody (myself included) I talk to bought the game during the sale, I honestly did not expect this game to go on sale any time soon, especially for 50% off.

Squad Free Weekend and Sale: Part Two ;)

Who among us will exercise extreme patience and help the newbies by squad leading or simply answering questions in local VoIP?

*raises hand*