Chuc

Steam Free Weekend & Sale

chaz69   

erm_zpsm8i2nzqa.jpg

**Update**

Just played logar valley with an entire server of free week pubbers, absolute chaos. lolol  no one actually knew what the hell to do.  my squad of 5 were the only people alive outside of mainbase. The game lasted 35 minutes. lol epic

Edited by chaz69

Hm, just had a similar "don't know what the **** to do" experience on my server. I don't think Squad as a game gives the best impression without proper recruitment (boot camp) for new players, especially when there are so many playing at once. We'd need to provide some sort of boot camps for new players to make their overall experience better.

played couple of matches and is all good, loot of new people and i am happy with that. I don t mind teach what i know about the game to the new recruit. I think there it is not gonna be such a big deal. Lot of new player do not listen to SL or any other players more experienced, those, are the one who will leave the game soon. Squad is a slow pace game where you must listen and avoid the rambo mode. All the new players willing to fully experience Squad are happily listening, learning and enjoying the game (and there is a lot of them out there) and those are the people that are going to be very welcome once they are in the community! 

keep on teaching them guys

Smee   

Just hope veterans will give the first flag rushes a miss for the weekend. Let people get into the tame.

elerik   

Also had a pretty nice epxerience with new guys. Thay are trying really hard and are happy when they get info what they are suppoused to do :) They enjoyed a battles a lot. 

HELP           Guys i have a problem i downloaded the squad but when i try to play it dosnt whant to start i enter from the steam and i get the loading screen and then nothing can someon help me. Thanks   sorry for bad eng :)

To help newcomers :

Guys if you need help about the way to play this game, FIRST READ THE WIKI (english only).

You can also read THE OFFICIAL MANUAL (or at least the §§ related to your problems). Translations in some languages are available in the first post of the linked topic) you'll find many useful answers. The manual is not up-to-date but you'll learn many tips and basic strategies anyway.

Welcome to this awesome game and community !!!

Cheers and cya on the battelfield !

Prolands   

Had a really good run yesterday and i have very positive impressions from the free weekend so far: My observations on the players i led (my squad was 75% total freshers).

- Very communicative, switched on

- A lot of them are familiar with tactical FPS (Arma popped up a lot) but this was the first time they tried Squad 

- Enjoyed being led, told what to do and followed orders to the letter

- Asked questions and were willing to learn about the game

I usually play with pubs and i enjoy it. To be honest i had better experience than last weekend where you often lead people who think they know better and often try to do their own thing.

Winning wasn't particularly difficult (~25/0 k/d ratio, flags easy to capture and hold) so in hindsight i should have taken it more slowly and taken even a bit more time to explain the game - I'm just so conditioned from pre-alpha days to rush the flags that it's a habit hard to get rid of.

I hope the Devs get lots of shekels out of this weekend! :)

So far, as a complete noob most of my experiences were pretty good. Ended up on a few good squads with proper communication etc. so overall I'm very happy. *Most* veteran players were very helpful and patient. 

We did have one good match with a full squad of first timers. Spent the first 5 minutes standing around a truck trying to figure out how to claim it and passed around the SL role so everyone had a try. Finally we ended up with one player who had a bit of a clue and off we went. Ended up being a good squad.

I'm very glad this free weekend/sale came around as I have been on the fence for quite some time and now I'll definitely be picking it up. 

Edit: And I'll also be spending some time today going over the wiki to familiarize myself with the commands, etc. ;)

Edited by SlaughterHause

I've been managing our server as a one-man "Command" squad talking to other squad leaders and giving them directions to pass down to their teams. Then I'd find one SL on each team that sounded like he knew what he was doing (most of SLs were first-time players!) and "promoted" him to team/platoon leader that all other SLs should listen to. Then I'd check back to each team every 20 minutes to see how things were going.

So far the feedback has been very positive...

4 hours ago, M.I.K.E. said:

I dont know why steam is letting free weekend players give a rating on Squad.

From 83% to 63 rating on steam.

:o:o you're right I didn't noticed... But the "overall" one is the most important

Verdin   
5 hours ago, M.I.K.E. said:

I dont know why steam is letting free weekend players give a rating on Squad.

From 83% to 63 rating on steam.

I'd say the mantra that has been prevalent for the past year and a half "it's early access alpha" actually applies here. 

All of the positive and negative reviews will essentially become irrelevant once SQUAD finally reaches full release, so don't sweat it mate.

Well, I've said this before, but "early access alpha" doesn't mean shit, cause you only have one chance to make a good first impression. I'm running a licensed 72-slot server which is at full capacity almost 24/7. There are 6 squads on each side, all squad leaders are first timers and at most 2 of them have a mic, while the other 10 don't know what to do nor do they coordinate with other squads. But I can also confirm that new players will listen and obey a vocal and confident squad leader, the only problem is, there aren't any more left.

LugNut   

I played for @ 5hrs yesterday, overall it was fun as long as you managed your expectations. Only a few idiots, most people had mics and were sincerely trying and a lot of them were ex military and/or ARMA/PR players and were there to play the game properly. If there were a couple of experienced players per squad, it went pretty well even with noobs as SL's. Like I said, they were all trying to learn and would take direction well. 

That's not to say there wasn't a lot of silly stuff going on, mainly with vehicles and not using them, so you'd see long lines of players spawning at main and walking forever to move up. Or people dropping rallys and Fobs in the weirdest places. Most of the silly stuff was due to ignorance, not greifers or people grabbing a hummer as a personal taxi. I think if experienced players enjoy helping the willing, the new players are a good group which bodes well for the future. 

cc.   

In hindsight this weekend was not a very good time to make a comeback and to introduce this game to my friends. It was mostly mayhem, a slow-paced free for all due to all the new players. Underwhelming experience unfortunately - overall the game felt very rough, more so than a year ago. I couldn't help but feel that I'm playing Arma, everything was sort of clunky. Being stuck behind low walls, hitting invisible corners, no joining queues or favorites, vehicle claiming system, et cetera all contributed to that. 

I know devs are working their butts off, but I'm not sure this free weekend was a very good idea at this stage. It's much easier to make a solid first impression, than it is to make people give it another shot later on in the future.

Edited by cc.

Aello   

Over the weekend:
- I've played with teams that ignored objective, went full on rambo across the map.

- I've played with teams that droped FOB's like candy.
- Been caled toxic for explaining how the game works, some bullets followed aswell.
- I've been shot out of a logi truck by a dude from another squad just becouse they didnt want to walk up the road. Good luck fiting 9 people in the Logi Truck if you want it that bad.
i can go on....

Its good we get more people in the game, but i hope they can swallow their ego and play as a team.

eggman   

I've done my part to play a few hours.. ok lots of hours.. over the free weekend. I've tried to educate folks on how to play the game. Most reacted more favorably than others. I've had some great matches.. a few <10 ticket margin games. I think v8.x plays extremely well for an Alpha. 

Not sure what will define success for the marketing venture, but the concurrent players peak was 4x the game launch weekend.

I believe the following could greatly improve the efficacy of similar future marketing activities:

1. A new player on boarding experience. This can consist of tutorials, but need to be kept super basic. I would suggest the tutorials should be for:
    1. Basic Training
    2. Support Weapons
    3. Squad Leader
  2. A rank & XP system, even without unlocks (or where they were turned off for a weekend) would help identify new players from veterans
    1. Seeing an SL with rank Private and 0xp gives you a good idea of what you are getting into
    2. I would love to see that you have to complete the tutorials before you can play the related classes
  3. A 2ic system in the squads so the "senior NCO" can provide some more structured guidance to the "clueless Lieutenant" 
    1. Squad needs this anyways, regardless of free weekends, but it's amplified when you are trying to explain to another SL how to set an FOB; your own squad can get a bit neglected

From a gameplay mechanics perspective, you are either going to like Squad in it's current state, or not. The issue with games like this is that, to a certain extent (and particularly now that the game is fairly stable and plays decently), your Squad Leader and team mates do more to dictate your play experience than the game mechanics.

I'm going to go play some more - am loving the v8 performance, stability and (mostly) the gameplay dynamics.

Well done OWI, hope it measured up to your goals.

Cheers,

eggman

41 minutes ago, eggman said:
  1. A rank & XP system, even without unlocks (or where they were turned off for a weekend) would help identify new players from veterans
    1. Seeing an SL with rank Private and 0xp gives you a good idea of what you are getting into
    2. I would love to see that you have to complete the tutorials before you can play the related classes

This goes against everything that they said they wanted for Squad... but it IS needed more than anything else. Also when the SL discos or leaves the squad it should pass to the next highest ranked person. I'd say easily 9/10 times we had Squad Leader changes the next SL ended up being a new player who had to be talked through how to pass the SL to someone else and then a 5 min discussion on who should be SL.

Something has to change with the current system.