catbref

Playing Squad having previously played Project Reality?

Post your experiences of adapting to Squad from playing PR here!

I finally bought Squad about a month ago after playing PR for maybe a year or so. Squad seemed to have all the same PR aspects like FOBs, vehicles, squads, etc.

I have to say I'm struggling somewhat so wondering how other PR players have coped with migrating?

In Squad there's so much more STUFF on the map landscape that I never seem to spot any enemies until they're about 20m away - is this normal? Is the new game-play to slowly creep up and hide until you spot something moving? Having names floating above soldiers is a big help as it takes a while for me to work out who is friendly or not on some maps (e.g. Russian vs Militia). Doesn't seem to be a way to tell if someone is dead on squad list or map. Lots of comms of "I'm down" and "who is down?" and "are you down?" 

Definitely got to remap some keys as I'm used to pressing CAPSLOCK to get team/map info up. Any suggestions on good key remaps?

I'm using a GTX960 connected to a 2560x1440 monitor on mostly "epic" settings (they seem to be the default).

Thanks for listening and I hope this post doesn't get me auto-kicked from squads for being crap!

pr is better in every aspect yet so not worth  wasting time on adapting to anything, hop it from time to time to see that its still too fast and arcadish and performance is still crap

Edited by muffin

43 minutes ago, muffin said:

performance is still crap

I get 50-70fps with a 5 year old computer (2700k, gtx580) on a full server. I wouldn't call the crap.

1 hour ago, DeckGunner said:

I get 50-70fps with a 5 year old computer (2700k, gtx580) on a full server. I wouldn't call the crap.

I say it is crap. ppl with newer i5's get less than that and how about their friends\clans etc who has i3 (or even amd lol) and only get 20 fps? basically it's crap for majority.

Edited by muffin

You'll get used to the terrain and learn how to spot enemies the more you play. It took me awhile but now I'm pretty sharp. 

23 minutes ago, muffin said:

I say it is crap. ppl with newer i5's get less than that and how about their friends\clans etc who has i3 (or even amd lol) and only get 20 fps? basically it's crap for majority.

What do you have? I have an i5-6600k at 3.5, non-overclocked, and I get 60-80 everywhere. Doesn't sound like less to me... :shrug:

1 hour ago, muffin said:

I have an i5 and I'm doing great with 50-70 FPS so don't know what you're talking about.   How old are i3 processors?  Bringing up AMD processors don't really help given the poor single thread performance with those things universally and especially with this particular game engine. Then there's of course folks owning FX 6300s and expecting good frames.  Unless you have the data on all users it would be hard (other than to try to bolster one's own argument) what's going on with the "majority"

56 minutes ago, DoctorKamikaze said:

What do you have? I have an i5-6600k at 3.5, non-overclocked, and I get 60-80 everywhere. Doesn't sound like less to me... :shrug:

Exactly the same here, not even OCed yet and with a mere 7970 GPU and doing fairly well!  Just hate when folks try to speak for all when they can only speak for themselves and those they know.  This guy can't speak on Squad being "crap" for the "majority" because he couldn't possibly possess such data/knowledge but folks love to do that when they want to push their argument/perspective as absolute fact.

How well you can aim actually matters here... you can pull off much more accurate ironsight shots from 200m away whereras you'd struggle going beyond 50m in PR. 

Recoil is also way more insane in PR, which I liked.

Vehicles currently feel a lot less valuable and I think it has a lot to do with how accurately people can shoot out gunners etc.

Edited by Catindabox

3 hours ago, muffin said:

pr is better in every aspect yet so not worth  wasting time on adapting to anything, hop it from time to time to see that its still too fast and arcadish and performance is still crap

PR can be much more boring though imo. The waits between engagements are far longer. You can often times find yourself never running into enemy contact, especially in Insurgency.

Edited by Catindabox

Can't even touch PR anymore now that Squad is up with vehicles and lawd knows I've tried multiple times to do so and had to turn it off.  Too many annoyances for me as the game shows its age, the only thing for me that PR has over Squad at the moment are helos which I can wait on.  I'm more than satisfied with Squad now and been waiting for this for a long time!!! Loved PR and it's definitely a great game but I needed something similar but with updated graphics, UI, and not tied to the BF2 engine!!!

9 hours ago, catbref said:

Definitely got to remap some keys as I'm used to pressing CAPSLOCK to get team/map info up. Any suggestions on good key remaps?

I am using these:
Map - TAB
Map zoom - Caps Lock
Use/enter vehicle - Middle Mouse Button (MMB)
Reload - Scroll up
Change firemode - Scroll down
Prone - C
Crouch - X
Local comms - Side mouse button
Squad comms - F
SL to SL comms - R
Switch weapons - 123456

...alternatively, I've also used before:
Sprint - Spacebar
Crouch - Shift
Jump  Alt

I've stopped using it for the time being because you have to jump-crouch quite a lot as it is. But I feel it's a superior mapping, because you can go into a Crouch much faster. Or atleast me, because I always have a finger on Shift.

As for spotting enemies, make sure your settings are in order. Find the right Gamma, Set anisothropic filtering to 8x or 16x in nVidia and don't use (imho) any AA other than SMAA. You have a pretty big screen so you should be fine with playing 100+ FOV I guess, but if you keep it at 90 you won't regret it either.
And as someone already said, once you get used to it you'll have no problem dropping people from 200m with iron sights. In fact I even got a few kills from 800m + with them when prone on a hill.

Sneaking around is definitely a valid tactic and a way to get easy kills, but you don't have to be crawling through the whole map. Just not running through big open spaces, if you don't know noone has their sights on you will be fine.

Also consider of moving the mapping from typical WASD to ie.ESDF or even RDFG  in this way you have more keys both side of the typical 4 key movement pattern. Nice to have someone from PR again involved to SQD, while I have my arguments with PR folks at times, I respect them. The PR game itself have unfortunate annoyances because the BF2 engine and its restrictions.

3 hours ago, chaz69 said:

i uninstalled pr about 9 months ago, it was great while it lasted.

I play it and will play PR until Squad will have jets, but it seems thats never going to happen lol

Why are jets so important to your gameplay experience? They are the least tactical portion of PR and in my opinion would ruin squad. 

5 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

Why are jets so important to your gameplay experience? They are the least tactical portion of PR and in my opinion would ruin squad. 

Say whaaaaaa?

I'd love to have jets in Squad, but if takes too much resources - either to implement or to run&optimize, then it's not worth it.

Edited by Peerun

@catbref Only played PR like 3times or so,can't really give you advice or comparison between Squad vs PR.But like most games(Tactical),you need to practice,practice & practice somemore,you get the hang of it.

On Jets,we need to wait & see on how UE4/Squad future progress & development.

Gents,don't count your chickens before they're hatched!.We have along way to go!.

Migrated? What are you talking about? Yeah I've also had some trouble just seeing who the hell is shooting me on some maps.

I've been a backer since day 1 and have like 20 hours in Squad.

I can't really put my finger on what makes me don't enjoy Squad as much as I do with PR.

1 hour ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

Migrated? What are you talking about? Yeah I've also had some trouble just seeing who the hell is shooting me on some maps.

I've been a backer since day 1 and have like 20 hours in Squad.

I can't really put my finger on what makes me don't enjoy Squad as much as I do with PR.

What were your first 20 hours in PR like?

It's a lot easier to kill and die making Squad's gameplay feel a lot more restrictive. Due to several issues spotting is also way harder which makes it not enjoyable. Then there's the fact that PR has many maps, factions and you can take on many different roles while Squad is obviously nowhere near that. 5h in game since Steam, few hours in CPA.

32 minutes ago, Peerun said:

What were your first 20 hours in PR like?

Shit, that was 7 years ago. I don't recall that. Probably running around (with no mic mind you) randomly shooting people and dying a lot.

It's not that I don't enjoy squad, when I do play I like it. It's just that there's nothing really in me that wants me to keep playing.

1 hour ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

Shit, that was 7 years ago. I don't recall that. Probably running around (with no mic mind you) randomly shooting people and dying a lot.

It's not that I don't enjoy squad, when I do play I like it. It's just that there's nothing really in me that wants me to keep playing.

Same here. PR is light years ahead in terms of community, fun and overall gameplay mechanics.

Squad = Insurgency gun game + BF idiots.

As long as Devs keep adding "placeholders" instead of finished assets the game will forever be "tactical" clone of Battlefield.