naezro

V8 Rocket Techie Feedback

Hello Squaddies,

The addition of rocket techies have been great as the first iteration of indirect firesupport.  There are only I few things I'd like to see changed l.

1. Currently, the rocket pod resets to its resting position whenever the techie is moved.  This makes it difficult to make windage adjustments.  I'd like to see it the pod only move when the gunner moves the pod.

2. A way for the gunner to see the angle of the rocket pod and make fine tune adjustments.  If the gunner could visible see the exact angle this would make it easier to range in their targets.  Which would benefit public as well as competitive players.

Let me know what your guys thoughts on the rocket techie and if precise angle adjustments should be a feature added to the game, because I know it's not necessarily realistic because rocket techies are kinda hog pogged together out in the field.

Edited by naezro

Only noticed  on the rifle range but the angle of the head changes with pressing w or s.  When gunner 

3 hours ago, grimshadow said:

When ur gunning just look behind you and you can see the rocket pod moving up and down. 

This

I've used the rocket pod plenty on Jensen's Range but HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY AS INSURGENTS A *SINGLE* TIME IN A MATCH! D;

Yep with 1. They should also fix how the elevation resets when you get out of the passenger seat and get back in. I'll often get out to see where rockets are landing if I'm firing from behind cover 

6 hours ago, Catindabox said:

This

I've used the rocket pod plenty on Jensen's Range but HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY AS INSURGENTS A *SINGLE* TIME IN A MATCH! D;

Yep with 1. They should also fix how the elevation resets when you get out of the passenger seat and get back in. I'll often get out to see where rockets are landing if I'm firing from behind cover 

yeah totes! And same here always russians shit :/

Instead of an angle I think if something around the compass area maybe in the bottom lefthand corner could indicate how many meters it's currently ranged for. Maybe being able to fine tune it in increments of 20m

^This. It's then up to the gunner to range it for elevation maintaining the need for estimation when targeting. It'll also help players learn to estimate range when using the weapon.

16 hours ago, Robin Sage said:

Instead of an angle I think if something around the compass area maybe in the bottom lefthand corner could indicate how many meters it's currently ranged for. Maybe being able to fine tune it in increments of 20m

I thought of that too but, it would work for flat elevation.  I rather have a small indicator on the screen telling me the exactly degree the rocket pod is tilted.

With a little bit of practice and some friends to spot for you. You can figure out the ranges that the rockets fire.  The problem is getting consistent accuracy with each new target.

Edited by naezro

A really small vertical adjustment might be handy. I mean a small that wouldn't make the rocket techie a turret, but still would give small adjustment in those longrange situations. Namely a few degrees of movement max.

1. Kinda intentional to discourage one manning it. If you are one manning the vehicle it isn't as effective as being two. Teamwork and communication at the core of everything.

2. Meant to be improvised and derpy, won't be overly fancy. The best you can to do is look out the back and keep track of your angle and have squad mates help guide you in.

Don't worry, fancier weapon systems will have fancier interfaces and controls. 

This one won't. 

Trust me, fine adjustments won't do you much good anyway. This sucker has a 100m deviation at about 5-600m ;). Area suppression is the name of the game, not precision fire. There will be mortars for hitting specific things.

Improvised, derpy, high skill cap is the name of the game for this particular asset. Characteristics vary with each asset.

Stand by for more stuff.

HYdra tech turning out to be my biggest hate of 8.1. It not the unit, that's fantastic or the effects.  It's the fact your having a full squad supporting  a unit that should have just two. A squad taking logistics to put down a spamming spot which really doesn't help the team.  The fire isn't effective enough to use from fixed position at range.  Not looking to have its fire power increased.

Maybe just have this reloadable at main. 

Rocket techie is so amazing stuff atm. But Its so painful watch how people use it. 

Well I hope we will get some control unit. But not something super simple. It should be challenge for use it. Currently status is challenge luck and skills togather. I can imagine add more weight at skills aspect.   

It must to be used in clever way. Its not hard to operate it atm. Even fire distance is simple trainable. But its necessary for team really cooperate and communicate. 

In bad hands its just wasting sources material and humans. In good hands its terrible weapon for enemy and big advantage. 

Simple answer is .... players dont use it properly. They just dont think. For example about where they stay with vehicle. Even small side angle change fire direction. 

They dont use indirect advantage many times. 

They are able send this support vehicle without previous recon in to unknown area and fall in ambush. 

They dont use it at concentrated enemy unit. Instead of this they waste whole  package on single men !! 

They fire anytime when its possible to anything and most time it end far away from target area because of not using properly. 

They dont fire sighting shot. Simply they just have a race about how fast they empty whole cartridge :D

They dont think about terrain height differences in between fire position and target position.

Thats the problem. For this vehicle is not main base far away. So tactics should be changed.

Simple people are not familiar with this kind of game play. Its absolutely different than CQB or Run and Gun game style.  I guess that we will have similar issue with mortars as well. With MBT also. With other vehicles we have many times same problems. Its amazing how fast people waste any vehicle we have in game. So we can slowly meet with tactics that Squad leaders decide not to take any vehicles because of ticket wasting. But vehicles are so powerful. Good operators are rare atm. 

Could we get some sort of control panel for the gunner in place,please? Maybe an lcd screen could display the angle of the launcher.

On 11/6/2016 at 7:56 PM, Z-trooper said:

1. Kinda intentional to discourage one manning it. If you are one manning the vehicle it isn't as effective as being two. Teamwork and communication at the core of everything.

2. Meant to be improvised and derpy, won't be overly fancy. The best you can to do is look out the back and keep track of your angle and have squad mates help guide you in.

Don't worry, fancier weapon systems will have fancier interfaces and controls....

Thanks for the response Z-trooper!  Totally understand that line of reasoning.

On 11/6/2016 at 2:47 AM, Robin Sage said:

Too easy.

Give us angles and then let the community make range tables.

Well, from my experience using it you need:
A squad lead that actually wants to use it (and is willing to spot or delegate spotting)
Driver
Gunner
Main Base supply or constant logi supplied FOB.

Squad lead marks target area with a marker visible on compass (observe, attack, etc)
Driver gets you ~800m from marker
Gunner makes sure not to move the mouse in the vehicle so compass bearing is accurate to the rocket techie (leaving, entering vehicle resets viewpoint)
Gunner directs driver to drive left/right to line up bearing
Gunner fires a rocket or two (range is 800m at full tilt)
Spotter gives the go ahead to fire full barrage
Rinse repeat

The other  way is to have visual on your target, and blast away. Very low chances of surviving.

A quick tip to help you guys out:

100% elevation achieves about the same range as 50% elevation.

What the increased elevation above 50% does is alter the angle of impact, making it rain down on top of the enemies rather than direct fire. Also greatly increases the flight time. So use that knowledge to your advantage if you are doing indirect or direct fire.

Could we please make the gunner hold some kind of a handle (perhaps something looking like a gas handle inside a plane cockpit). The handle moves back and forwards as angle of gunpod is changed. It would still be really hard to see the precise angle of gunpod, but it will be easier to see where you are (15%, 25%, 50% 75% of max angle).

Another tip for using. 

Start play with this vehicle with full 100% elevation. Test it on firing range. You will see that impact area is 700 - 800m far. 

In combat during a game localize the enemy position. Use a measurement to calculate tangent from where you can use 100% elevation to target area. Then relocate to that position. Now you know that you will have +- pretty accurate hit to target. Resuply and you can go on another position with same tangent. This is good because you will use advantage of "rain of steel" and you will also relocate your vehicle. Lots of enemies try localize rocket techie and destroy it. Or ambush it.

Also less is sometimes more. If you turn around head you see smoke effect after fire. Try wait with every single fire after smoke disappear. Empty whole cartridge take almost +-2 minutes. Those 2 minutes will be for enemy pretty long. It has nice incoming sounds and effects. And players usually just jump in cover and prone. This will get time to your friendly units. 2 minutes run is pretty good distance. Or Tap, double tap, tap, tap, double tap. With some intervals in between fire. 

The gunner should have good commander with connection to other squad. Or should be commander himself. 

Also gunner should operate vehicle as driver. This is more less one person vehicle. With +1 capacity to friendly. 

Change resupply point time by time. 

Dont go everytime at same fire position. If intel is that enemy are getting closer. Just get out with vehicle. Recalculate tangent for 700 -800m and keep distance from frontline itself. 

Got a chance to use it for the 1st time the other day. It sure does have a wide spread on the coverage. It's actually pretty scary.

I got a feeling mortars will be similar, no on map radius marker indicating the impact point. It does make it too easy. Rather annoying on BF4 with mortars pin pointing their targets from the red zone.

The only assistance required would be the angle indicator. Have someone spotting how close they are to the target enforces teamwork.

there are some gossips that mortars will be much more accurate. But I hope they will balance it with some challenge. I would like to see some truly math challenge in game where we could use some virtual tools to calculate angles and so on. But yeah thats romantic. Lots of people hate stuff like that. 

4 hours ago, elerik said:

there are some gossips that mortars will be much more accurate. But I hope they will balance it with some challenge. I would like to see some truly math challenge in game where we could use some virtual tools to calculate angles and so on. But yeah thats romantic. Lots of people hate stuff like that. 

Absolutely.

I want mortars to be as close to reality as possible. I want to have to use map tools to measure distances and then look at fire charts to set up my mortar rounds with the correct number of propellant charges and the right angle. Then still have to rely on a forward observer to walk me into target.

Mortars are far too powerful not to be treated this way. Last thing we need is some super simple mortar system where all it takes is a marker from a squad leader and lining up the mortar and firing and being dead on target immediately.

The only thing I'd like to see is that the elevation remains until reset manually. I understand that it's meant to make it more difficult to use alone, but most people do anyway and it just makes it more tedious in a non realistic way.