115 posts in this topic

Qv8NCmn.png

Korengal Valley 4 km

Official name will be "Return to Korengal" as this allows more freedom in a very spare AO

Korangal Valley (alternatively spelled Korengal, Kurangal, Korangal; Pashto: کړنګل ;کوړنګل ;کوړينګل‎) is a valley in north-eastern Afghanistan that was the scene of fierce fighting between ISAF's Eastern Command consisting mostly of US forcesand insurgents in Afghanistan—referred to as "Anti-Afghanistan Forces" (AAF) or "Anti-Coalition Militia" (ACM)—notably the Taliban.

Google Maps

Korengal 4 km is the map you love to hate and hate to love. It is being designed to be as accurate as possible while still allowing for artistic and gameplay elements. 

What I loved about the original PR map was it was small which made it a pain to get around and ease to get lost all while having to navigating impassable areas and keeping in a lookout for ambushes. This will not change as I intend to build on what I learned in its original ... especially filling in all those inescapable holes. 

In this re-imagining (I'm the same artist the created PR Korengal) I'm set to introduce multiple environments. From mountain rivers, crops, hillside villages, rocky mountain trails and snow covered mountain tops. While I don't have a cave system in my current plans yet, it's not unforeseeable.

Key features

• Elevation came from DEM height map. (Although I will be taking artistic liberties)
  • Real locations (At least close to)
  • Vertical fighting from lush crops to snow covered forests
  • Difficult terrain for vehicles and troops (hopefully in the future helicopter support)
  • Central river is being created as a game-play obstacle. This means we will see many key choke points like bridges.
  • Time of day (Current Squad static lighting)
    • Early morning
    • Late afternoon
    • Night

Current WIP map

3xtsRFK.png

(Locations are not final, just a over view)

I will update images when they become available

Korengal Outpost (KOP)

GagZaSn.pngenRCx22.pngMJQbRAO.jpg

Rivers

zMMRcOW.pngXVvVzg6.pngH2WXT9u.png

Valley & Crops

7oeKArD.jpg04Jqu93.jpg0aMT7bf.png

Mountains

VNjmyeo.png3FE6Wrz.pngyjqopLV.png

Radio Tower "Mike"

3q2gWqt.png

Villages

TBA

Firebase Restrepo

TBA

Firebase Vegas

TBA

Honcho Hill

TBA

Rougle Hill

TBA

Reinforcements from Camp Blessing

TBA

Special Locations

TBA

Media

Edited by CodeRedFox

34 minutes ago, CodeRedFox said:

Updated with current WIP minimap

Looks amazing like everything else

btw you misspelled US Reinforcements*

Korengal base might need a bit more dominance over the area, really get that overwatch position that it has in PR, other than that it looks like it has a really small playable area which would just focus all the teams in to a really small space which would be a grenade spam fest.

2 hours ago, liamNL said:

Korengal base might need a bit more dominance over the area, really get that overwatch position that it has in PR, other than that it looks like it has a really small playable area which would just focus all the teams in to a really small space which would be a grenade spam fest.

how is 4x4km a small playable area? looks like most of the hillsides are accessible, and the flags are pretty well spread out, so i dont see how thats gonna be a major issue :P

3 hours ago, Zeno965 said:

how is 4x4km a small playable area? looks like most of the hillsides are accessible, and the flags are pretty well spread out, so i dont see how thats gonna be a major issue :P

Depends on how the hills be set up imho, for example if we go PR style Korengal then the playable area will be more limited to the valley itself and less to the hill tops. But if the hills will be more fluent then perhaps it would be interesting to play about in them, through they need a lot more concealment before it's really worth going there.

The valley and access to the flags will not be easy. For example the two close ones abad and lanyila while close are not directly accessible. The river will be a huge inconvenience.

How did you scale the height data? Looking at Google maps, it looks about 2:3. That is really close to the real thing.

8 hours ago, JarryHead said:

How did you scale the height data? Looking at Google maps, it looks about 2:3. That is really close to the real thing.

I really did it by eye. The actual height ratio stretched the vertical polys way to much. So I had to play with it.
In case people are curious how I'm doing it :

1. Google Sketch Up - For the original data (height map and sat color which is useful for tracing roads and villages)
  2. 3dsmax - Used to warp and adjust the terrain to square it up as its a long valley. Basic 2x2 FFD box. Then I used a camera set to orthographic with a gray scale texture applied. 
  3. World machine - Further weather and detail the terrain.
  4. Photoshop - Color coding roads, structures, rivers, crops, etc
  5. Unreal

And to all those looking to do mapping and getting discouraged, this is my 4th version of going through that process to get a map I was ok with.

Edited by CodeRedFox