On 11/6/2016 at 7:09 PM, IIIRBR PUNKIII said:

Nice map! And, not base us is "clear"...

Reality Base US is Bunker Favela: 

What do you mean?

It's really coming along! I know you've reworked it a bit, but your 4th iteration? Wow!

One thing I was fond of in the PR version of Korengal Valley were the destructible rocky mountain passes. Do you think it's possible to implement this kind of mini-"Levelolution" to your Squad version? It really changed the way the map behaved when the opfor blew up the rock pass and blocked the road. :)

fhepUB8.png

2 hours ago, DesmoLocke said:

One thing I was fond of in the PR version of Korengal Valley were the destructible rocky mountain passes.

I would really like Squad as a whole to R&D some destruction. I've heard a few whispers here and there about it. IF this can happen I would love to bring back natural barriers and destructible bridges.

Wow, those latest screenshots! It is going to be so awesome when its done. Hopefully we can play it in V9! :P

I did like the PR version, and yours is looking to be a cracker. Only worry is PR had boats and helos to get out from the main. Squad doesn't,  how will you combat US getting bottled in their main. 

8 hours ago, Smee said:

I did like the PR version, and yours is looking to be a cracker. 

FYI, both versions are his. :)

13 hours ago, Smee said:

Only worry is PR had boats and helos to get out from the main. Squad doesn't,  how will you combat US getting bottled in their main. 

I dont remember boats??? But just like the original there will/should be a non caps for both teams. For the US this will be at the entrance to the whole valley (North to Pech Valley) For the insurgents this will come from the south and the mountains.

I'm hoping for the AAS version of the map I can spider web the flags all down to the main base. But that's still off in the future. 

Edited by CodeRedFox

On 17/11/2016 at 10:51 AM, Smee said:

I did like the PR version, and yours is looking to be a cracker. Only worry is PR had boats and helos to get out from the main. Squad doesn't,  how will you combat US getting bottled in their main. 

I think youre mixing something up, PR's never had boats and choppers werent crucial to the map, some iterations of it didnt even have any. Since this new version will be way bigger i think choppers will be almost required here though.

On 17-11-2016 at 10:24 AM, CodeRedFox said:

I would really like Squad as a whole to R&D some destruction. I've heard a few whispers here and there about it. IF this can happen I would love to bring back natural barriers and destructible bridges.

Advanced dynamics are very cool but it can claim a huge cost on performance, this is cause physics simulations are just very complicated to calculate. Nature isn't keen on being imitated easily.

Not impossible but it's one of the hardest thing for a game developer to implement or code I think, mastering these things are the pinnacle of game development and engine development.

Edited by MDInteractive

Looking really good! I see you've made yourself a little slope and height-blend for the texture-material! Looking great!

Is the slope-blend currently using linear blending? It looks so atm, but I didn't find any close ups of that blending. Have you considered using heightmaps for the textures in order to make the blend more natural?

2 hours ago, Didgy said:

Have you considered using heightmaps for the textures in order to make the blend more natural?

Your correct that I'm using slope-blends. This is very apparent in the snowline.  Still learning Unreal so I'm not 100% happy with my texture functions and setups. I might try to bring the height map back into world machine (once I'm happy with the landscape) and recreate splat maps.

Looks amazing, way better than ugly default Squad maps. But there is a suggestion to model rocks/rocky meshes and scatter them around to hide ugly UE4 terrain.

11 hours ago, stmalk said:

Looks amazing, way better than ugly default Squad maps. But there is a suggestion to model rocks/rocky meshes and scatter them around to hide ugly UE4 terrain.

If ue4 has ugly terrain, name a game that has nice terrain

2 hours ago, Zeno965 said:

If ue4 has ugly terrain, name a game that has nice terrain

I'm talking about covering the ugly seams with mesh rocks - a proper way to do it. If it's just Morrowind style height map stretched over 4km, you will inevitably have abrupt changes in terrain level, too straight angles and obviously "pixelated" elements of landscape with straight line baked shadows. These things should be covered with mesh higher detail rocks. Go to UE4 marketplace and look at created landscapes and levels by various designers - they all produce mesh rocks and even mesh pieces of land to cover heightmap terrain seams and bumps. And it looks gorgeous in Unreal. Scroll towards the last 4 images and you will see what I mean:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/conifer-forest-collection

Edited by stmalk

glxPBzX.png     FprZzOk.png     FBELCfq.png     ssn0nnV.png     xOPrW3y.png     4rnxX5d.png

Started working on hill side villages and access roads. The creative juices are flowing. This is turning out to be harder then I thought. :-)

* Currently experimenting with different tree types and techniques to get them rendered out farther. These are set temporarily to unlimited draw distance. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbouneh said:

Looks booootyfu u can actually feel that its actually Afghanistan ;)

Keep it up hopefully you make it into V9 or late V9.

Or ... now? I'm dying for Korengal!