Sign in to follow this  
alex.sweedensniiperr

Why 9 player squads?

Why?

Right now most server run 70(+2) player servers. Maximum is 72. That's 35(36) players per team. With 35 players that's only 4 squads of 9 players, one of which has 8. It's usually 3 ok squads and the last that has 0% organisation - leaving 3. This game wants cooperation teamwide between squads right? With only 4 squads there's not much you can do with that. In my opinion with the current maximum players 9 players is too much. Maybe when(if) Squad reaches servers with ~100+ players, 9 player squad would make sense. Right now? I don't see the logic too be honest. 7 players maximum seems to me, be the logical number.

Is it because of realism? If so, is that really a thing that you need to emphasize realism?

Have you tested any other squad sizes?

20 hours ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

Where did you find that information? Why not change it later - "down the road" then?

...because those things are in their roadmap and work best with 9 people? There isn't some kind of crazy conspiracy going on here lol

Seeing how games play out with 9-man squads plays a critical role in future development and planning. 

it makes a lot of sense with kit picks imo. 2 medics, 1 SL, 3 standard riflemen of sorts and 3 special weapons. and well yeah... i like the size of the squad, it also makes you feel like a force to be recogned with when you show up on a point in full numbers.

Would you rather be restricted? I certainly wouldn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

9 Player squads makes sense to me and from a technical standpoint is almost true to life. You have a squad leader and two 4 man fireteams. A platoon is usually 4 squads and anywhere from 35-60 people depending on your unit. I rather enjoy the 9 player squads. At the beginning of the match I usually split up my guys into alpha and bravo fireteams and alpha usually becomes base of fire while bravo moves to assault an objective. 

I think this is also a very situational thing. Usually if you want as much firepower in a squad as possible 9 players is a good thing. But Im also inclined to see more than 3-4 squads on map. It is common for me to watch map and wonder "where the hell is everyone". Because of so few squads players are gathering on same points and entire squads are being wiped out with a good placed nade or a BTR. 

More variety on squad sizes for different roles and tasks is what I want. It work on PR I can't understand why it wouldn't work here.

Someone suggested that SL's would have options to choose from 6 or 9 player squad. Best option in my opinion is to add squadlock. And locking would be available after 3 players on squad. Its kind of hard trying to play as a 3 man "behind the enemy lines" squad with your friends when randoms are constantly joining in no matter you write on squad name...

As soon as we finally get squad locks (it's gonna happen, right?) you won't be pressed to have a full squad anymore. You don't need to have a full squad at all times now, but you basically have to pick between constantly kicking players you don't need and possibly getting teamkilled by angry kids as a result or giving in and having the full squad anyway.

On 11/4/2016 at 4:27 PM, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

This game wants cooperation teamwide between squads right? With only 4 squads there's not much you can do with that.

Well that just isn't right.

While 9-man squads are generally unmanageable in public play, even with future features such as fireteams, that isn't an issue in itself. Once we get the ability to lock squad, and hopefully the ability to make squad size adjustable on the fly, it won't be too big a deal.

2 hours ago, alex.sweedensniiperr said:

Well we don't have that NOW do we?

Everyone that responded to you gave you a different reason why it doesn't matter that we don't have 50v50 etc. now. Just read them.

16 hours ago, Catindabox said:

Everyone that responded to you gave you a different reason why it doesn't matter that we don't have 50v50 etc. now. Just read them.

50v50 huh? Nowhere in this thread has anyone said anything like that.

The reasons (so far) that I've seen so far for having 9 player squad is: - and let me tell why they're not very strong points..

"realism" - generally a point, however gameplay must also play a part. Besides, this game isn't exactly the model of realism anyway is it?

"down the roadmap" - while I don't really have anything against big squads I feel like it would be wiser to have a smaller squad size until those features that you speak will be introduced(also, still have no idea where you get this information?) EDIT: FAQ. Well, still no good answer as to why 9 player squads is needed right now.

"firepower" - sure if you have a 9 player squad against a 7 player squad you'd have more firepower, but it

"it feels better"/ "kit layout makes sense" - first, subjective. As I said before 9 players alone isn't something I'm bothered with. And second, how does it makes sense? 1+2+3+3? What's the difference between that and 1+2+2+1? Or 1+2+2+2?

Don't tell me that I've haven't read them. It's just you that can't give a good reason is all.

Edited by alex.sweedensniiperr

Nine-man squads are more logical than seven-man squads in any numbers of ways, for both gameplay and balance reasons. While I understand what your point is - implement seven-man squads until we see 50v50, heavy assets, etc - there's just no point, as all these things will come in due time.